Remote product engineering Jobs in February 2020
7 Remote product engineering Jobs in February 2020Post a job
At Medium, words still matter. We are building a place to foster reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers authorities, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas; a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers.The Platforms teamThe Platforms team is tasked with enabling our product engineers to quickly build a quality user experience. We do that by giving those teams tools and frameworks to build great user experiences.Much of the Platforms team's recent work has been around shepherding new technologies into Medium's stack: We have a web client written in modern React (with hooks, if you're curious) and TypeScript. We have enjoyed adopting GraphQL to add clarity to our API, manage changing client needs, and take advantage of third party tooling like Apollo Client. We have a modern design system & styling framework using CSS-in-JS & Storybook. And we are growing our fleet of Go services speaking gRPC, deployed on Kubernetes, and released with our own K8s operator.That's where you come in:We're looking for Staff- or Principal-leveled engineers who like to:Write software — That might be writing a new framework, making a design system component accessible, or writing a Slack integration that saves engineers time.Support fellow engineers — We listen to product engineering teams and collaborate with them. After all, they're our users, and they're the ones who ultimately help Medium's users read and write things that matter. When we empathetically understand what they need, it makes us better at our job.Advocate for & design solutions — We provide high-level technical design, strategy roadmap development, and technical architecture related to our web client.Follow & engage with the community — We want to assure that our architectures are consistent with industry including scalability, availability, maintainability, and flexibility.Understand technical debt — There are also some older and less glamorous technologies at Medium, too. Part of your responsibility will be enabling engineers to account for technical debt and make progress against it — all while building new systems and user features.WHO ARE YOU?
- You are an expert in at least one modern web application framework (React, Angular, Vue, etc.)
- You have 5+ years of experience writing software.
- You want to learn from and teach your peers.
Nice, but not required:
- You work autonomously, are energized by missions and goals more than a specific list of tasks.
- You have 10+ years of experience.
- You understand web accessibility and have shipped accessible products.
- You have an understanding of React's internals.
What makes Medium specialAt Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.Medium is an equal opportunity employer. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
- You have experience on an infrastructural or platform team.
Keywords: ceph, swift, block storage, c++, open source, storage replication, distributed object storage, distributed block storage, and distributed file storage, remote job, software development, software engineering
Reports to: OpenStack Product Engineering Manager
Job location: Remote, home-based, Americas or EuropeJob Summary
Canonical and Ubuntu are at the heart of cloud computing, distributed computing, and scalable software systems. Whether public or private clouds, bare metal, or virtualized in a container, Ubuntu is there.
In this role, you’ll be building and modeling software to drive distributed storage systems. You’ll be engineering solutions to scale in production. You’ll work with our field and product teams to ensure we’re meeting the needs of customers who are looking to adopt cutting-edge technology to solve real-world business challenges.
Applicants should be passionate about the future of the software-defined datacenter, distributed storage systems, and open source. Canonical is a globally-diverse team of engineers who share that passion, and you will need to work well in that context. Engineers who thrive at Canonical are mindful of the dynamics of the open source ecosystem, and equally aware of the needs of large, innovative organizations.
You will travel internationally 4 to 6 times per year for team engineering sprints, industry events, and strategic planning sessions, generally for 1 week at a time. Recent locations include: Montreal, Malta, South Africa, Berlin, Ghent, Brussels, Vancouver, Salt Lake City, New York City, Budapest and Shanghai.Key responsibilities:
Required skills and experience:
- Develop high-quality, extensible, and reusable software (Python, C++).
- Display strong technical leadership in feature definition, feature delivery, code review, and backlog management.
- Interact with stakeholders, product owners, including field teams and customers, to define new features and to resolve issues.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Professional track record (2+ years) of software engineering using Python, C++, Golang or similar.
- Advanced working knowledge of cloud computing and distributed storage systems.
- Degree-level education in a technology field.
- Experience with agile software development methodologies.
- Experience with Linux and the free software world.
- Excellent communication skills in the English language, both verbal and written, especially in online environments such as mailing lists and chat systems.
- Ability to effectively interact with a diverse group of people (both technical and non-technical).
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through self-discipline and self-motivation, delivering according to a schedule, and to motivate and mentor others to do the same.
- Demonstrated track record of open source code contributions and community participation.
- Experience with one or more Linux package distribution technologies (deb, snap, rpm).
- Experience with Ceph, Swift, and/or DRBD as a developer or as an operator/administrator.
- Experience with container technologies and platforms (LXC, LXD, Docker, Kubernetes, or similar).
We are looking to expand our team of Kubernetes Operations engineer. The focus of this role is 3-fold:
Work directly with clients and customers to assist in consulting, setting up and operating Kubernetes clusters. Generally, the Kubernetes clusters will be based on our own Lokomotive full-stack Kubernetes distribution.
Work as a part of the engineering team working to improve Lokomotive, Flatcar Container Linux and our other Kubernetes-related projects, applying your operations experience and direct feedback from customers to help guide the projects.
Be part of the oncall schedule to support our subscription customers.
We are working to build a follow-the-sun team so that support times during the week are during work hours.
In essence this role has elements of both a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) and a Software Engineer.
The ideal candidate has operations experience with Kubernetes but also beyond. It is a person who has the experience of being oncall, and resolving and helping to mitigate issues in production environments. It’s also a person who can clearly communicate to customers about these issues and communicate with the engineering team about the experiences that matter to customers. This role is the interface between the customer and the product engineering teams. It is this role’s positioning as the feedback loop between customers and the product that makes it so crucial.
To support you, you’ll have at your disposal the renowned Kinvolk engineering team that has completed dozens of challenging projects at every layer of the system. You’ll find that your supporting team can get you then answers you need and help you find short and long-term solutions to issues and help you grow as an engineer.
Work directly with customers to assist in consulting, setting up and operating Kubernetes clusters
Interface with clients and advise on best practices for managing Kubernetes cluster
Be on call during reasonable hours on a rotating basis (follow-the-sun rotation)
Provide first-line support to customers
Work to improve our open-source cloud products
Be a liaison between customers and product engineering team
Participate in product engineering
Review and document changes
Stay current on the cloud infrastructure technology landscape
Work closely with the rest of the Kinvolk team; communicating across projects.
Represent Kinvolk at community events
Multiple openings are available.
This role requires experience in setting up and operating Kubernetes clusters at a senior level. One is expected to be able to interface directly with customers to provide authoritative responses and advice.
To get the job done, you’re going to need these.
Experience operating Kubernetes in production
Deep understanding of how Kubernetes works
Ability to listen to customers and distill that input into actionable tasks and recommendations
Good knowledge of distributed systems
Good knowledge of Linux systems
Good networking know-how
Experience in scripting languages
Ability to interface directly with clients and customers
Ability to work independently
Good at communicating technical issues and requirements
Good written and spoken English
If these items apply to you, awesome! If not, expect to add these while at Kinvolk.
Passed Certified Kubernetes Administrator exam. If not, we will support you in attaining this within 6-months of joining
Experience with the Go programming languages
Low-level knowledge of container and process isolation technologies
Comfortable giving talks at conferences
If in Berlin, good written and spoken German is a plus
We’re always looking for ways to make Kinvolk a friendly and motivating work environment. Here are some of the things we already offer.
You would be working on the cutting edge of technology, with a world-class team from whom you will be able to learn - just as we hope to learn from you!
We offer a competitive salary (reviewed annually), with equity participation (virtual share options) for all employees
Flexible working hours policy, and generous holiday allowance
An open, non-hierarchical, multi-cultural environment, with nearly as many nationalities represented in as we have people
And many others like:
Work exclusively on Linux technologies
Work closely with open-source communities
Lunch paid once/twice weekly (Berlin)
Assistance with public transport ticket and home Internet bill (Berlin)
Company mobile phone plan (Germany)
German language classes 2 times weekly, if needed (Berlin)
Generous hardware allowance for laptop, monitor, phone and/or tablet of your choice
Represent Kinvolk at conferences
Free drinks and snacks if you're working out of the office
Need a book? We’ll order it for you and add it to our tech bookshelf
HOW TO APPLY
Apply using the button below. If you have other questions, please send those to [email protected]
Kinvolk is a rapidly growing tech company building Linux & Kubernetes-based open-source software products, and offering related engineering and technical support services. Our customers are amongst the largest and most influential in the space: Microsoft, SAP, CoreOS, and many more.
While founded in Berlin, Kinvolk is quicky expanding and has recently opened an India subsidiary.
As a leverage engineer at Heap, you’ll be iterating on our core product to help drive activation, conversion, and retention/expansion. Heap is growing quickly, and to keep that pace we need to build applications and services that allow us to scale the effectiveness of our people. Your goal is to make changes to the product to increase revenue, improve our sales motion, and make it easier for the business to manage customers.
You’ll be on a multidisciplinary team that owns the full stack from the interface to the analytical query engine. You’ll work closely with web engineers, product management and solutions engineers to decide how to build features.
Our stack is built in JS and Postgres. Your work will be built with both, but will occasionally extend to frontend applications built in TypeScript and React. Familiarity with these tools is appreciated, but your creativity and intelligence are much more important to us than knowledge of our tools.What we're looking forWe’d particularly like to get to know you if:
Our office is in San Francisco, but we have engineers around the world. For the product engineering team, we are open to remote engineers in North American timezones. We'd love to hear from you!Heap has raised $95M in funding from NewView Capital, NEA, Y Combinator, Menlo Ventures, SVAngel, Sam Altman, Garry Tan, Alexis Ohanian, Harj Taggar, Ram Shriram, and others.
- you communicate with clarity and precision. We care about this almost as much as your technical ability.
- you're passionate, even if it's not about analytics. There should be something you know more about than anyone on our team.
- you’ve written 10,000 lines of code that look embarrassing in retrospect. ... and you've written 10,000 lines of good code since then.
- you like fruit, sunshine, and bad jokes. We aren't robots.
At Reify Health, we are building a more creative healthcare system. We envision a world where every potential therapy, if safe and effective, is available to the patients who can benefit.Our healthcare system relies on clinical trials to develop new, potentially life-saving treatments for patients. But clinical trials continue to be slow, unpredictable, and expensive. Reify Health’s product helps both the research leaders driving forward clinical trials and the doctors and nurses who care for the patient participants. As we continue scaling the adoption of our product, we accelerate world-class clinical research and unlock innovation.DevOps at Reify aims to be an engineering team with a focus on building out the process, tooling, and infrastructure as a platform that enables product engineering to release, monitor, and manage our applications with high velocity and efficiency. We value automation, self-service, and empowerment of product engineering to manage their code from development to production. By joining our team, you will play a significant role in supporting our growing architecture and our culture of impact and empathy.Your Responsibilities
- Architect and design AWS solutions to meet product/company needs
- Collaborate with team leads to develop infrastructure requirements
- Develop tools and processes to streamline the automated deployment of our code
- Develop and enhance tools to improve observability of the events of our sub-systems (as championed by Charity Majors)
- Enhance and maintain continuous integration tools that support the product engineering team
Your Skills & Qualifications
- Ensure the product is operational and provide support in case of emergency
- Strong core knowledge of Linux operating system and computer networking
- Experience managing AWS resources, specifically CloudFront, IAM, Route 53, S3, RDS, and DynamoDB
- Experience working with container technology, such as Docker
- Experience building, running, and maintaining a service orchestration framework such as Kubernetes, Mesos, or Triton
- Experience with infrastructure as code tooling such as Terraform or CloudFormation
- Experience monitoring data architectures (e.g. Kafka, Spark, etc.)
- Experience with deploying and configuring monitoring services, such as New Relic and Datadog
- Managed multiple AWS accounts across multiple AWS regions
- Embody infrastructure-as-code philosophy
What Will Make You Stand Out
- 5+ years of DevOps experience
- Experience in managing and deploying a cloud-based infrastructure compliant with regulatory regimes such as HIPAA and GDPR
- Experience implementing security controls for AWS environments, including setting up a VPN and secrets management system
- Experience working in Aptible/Heroku environment
- Experience with ELK stack or similar solutions to intelligently manage system logs
- Experience configuring error tracking systems, such as Sentry
- Previous experience with functional programming languages/philosophy (or existing Clojure chops!)
- Experience in a startup environment (as a remote employee using video/chat collaboration tools, if you’d like to work remotely)
Compensation & Benefits
- Relevant experience in a healthcare/health-tech company
- Competitive Salary and Stock Options: Compensation varies from mid-level to very senior and is commensurate with your experience.
- Comprehensive Health and Wellness Coverage: 100% premium coverage for you (and >50% for your dependents) for: a top-tier health plan covering you in all 50 states (with option of HSA for medical expenses and as investment vehicle) dental, vision, disability (short-term and long-term), and basic term life insurance (for your entire tenure at Reify). We enable 24/7 access to doctor by phone or online via telemedicine coverage.
- Retirement Plan: 401(k) with company match
- Company-provided Workstation: You will receive a brand new MacBook Pro laptop
- Location Flexibility & Transportation: For those working out of Boston, we provide: a free monthly public transportation pass (and are located 2-3 minutes from Downtown Crossing); unlimited coffee, infused water, and more (provided by WeWork); flexibility to work from home as needed. For those working remotely: you can work from anywhere in the U.S. compatible with an EST work schedule. Additionally, we’ll fly remoters in for our quarterly “remoters’ week”, filled with fun activities, good food, and many opportunities to get to know your colleagues better.
We value diversity and believe the unique contributions each of us brings drives our success. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.We also completely eschew the “bro culture” sometimes found at startups.Note: We are currently only considering US citizens or Green Card holders. Thanks!
- Vacation and Holiday Flexibility: Generous paid-time-off policy that accrues with your tenure at Reify which includes holiday flexibility and parental leave
Support Engineer – Terraform Enterprise
HashiCorp is looking for a high-caliber customer facing engineering professional to join its Support Engineering team. This is a phenomenal opportunity to join a small team and have a direct impact on HashiCorp’s fast growing business. This highly visible position will be an integral part of both the Support Engineering and Terraform teams. You are a fit if you thrive in a fast-paced culture that values essential communication, collaboration, and results. You are a self-motivated, detail-oriented individual with an eye for automation, process improvement, and problem solving.
Collaborating with the Support Engineering Manager, you will be a key member of the Customer Success organization and will directly impact customer satisfaction and success. The Support engineer will triage incoming issues related to Terraform Enterprise and independently work to find viable solutions. You will contribute to product growth and development via weekly product and marketing meetings. You will attend customer and prospect meetings as needed to help debug or install the product and is expected to be a liaison between the customer and HashiCorp engineering. When possible, the Support Engineer will update and improve product documentation, guide feature development, and implement bug fixes based on customer feedback.
- Triage and solve incoming support requests via Zendesk within SLA
- Document and record all activity and communication with customers in accordance to both internal and external security standards
- Reproduce and debug customer issues by using or building existing tooling or configuration
- Attend weekly product engineering meetings to discuss issues pertinent to support
- Collaborate with engineers, sales engineers, sales representatives, and technical account managers to schedule, coordinate, and lead customer installs or debugging calls
- Contribute to product documentation, customer knowledge base, and best practices guides
- Continuously improve process and tools for normal, repetitive support tasks
- Periodic 24/7 on-call rotation
30 days: you should be able to -
- Holistic understanding of (P)TFE and the interaction with the TF ecosystem
- Successfully perform all common work flows within Terraform Enterprise
- One contribution to extend or improve product documentation or install guides
- Ability to answer Level 1 support inquiries with minimal assistance
60 days: you should be able to -
- Effectively triage and respond to Level 1 & 2 inquiries independently
- Provision and bootstrap (P)TFE instance with low-touch from engineering
- Ride along on 1-2 live customer install calls
- Locate and unpack the customer log files. Familiarity with its contents
- Effectively search for prior similar issues within ticketing system and the knowledge base
- Author one customer knowledge base article from area of subject matter expertise
90 days: you should be able to -
- Effectively triage and respond to a production down issue with minimal assistance
- Run point on a live customer install without assistance
- Independently find points of error and identify root cause in the customer log files and report relevant details to engineering
- Implement small bug fixes or feature improvements
- Read all incoming RFCs and PRDs from Engineering
- Collaborate or comment on Engineering RFCs and PRDs
- 3+ years Support Engineering, Software Engineering, or System Administration experience
- At least 2 years in a customer facing role
- Expertise in Open Source and SaaS is a major advantage
- Excellent presence; strong written and verbal communication skills
- Upbeat, passionate, and unparalleled customer focus
- Well-organized, has excellent work ethic, pays attention to detail, and self-starting
- Experience managing and influencing change in organizations
- Strong project management skills
- Familiarity with Ruby on Rails, Ember.js, Bash, or Go
- Interest in cloud adoption and technology at scale
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, IT, Technical Writing, or equivalent professional experience
About HashiCorp and this opportunity
This is a full-time position with a highly competitive compensation and benefits package. You will have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and ambitious team. HashiCorp is a series C start-up in San Francisco that is best known for creating a suite of software tools that help enterprise companies automate their infrastructure and helps them migrate to the cloud. HashiCorp’s software suite allows users to provision, secure and run any infrastructure for any application.
HashiCorp embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our company will be.
Postscript is building the world’s greatest remote organization by modernizing how brands communicate with consumers. We’ve created a best-in-class SMS marketing tool used by thousands of happy ecommerce stores. Backed by Y Combinator and Accomplice VC, Postscript is growing fast and looking for remarkable people to help scale the company.
We’re looking for a Senior Product Designer to help us in pushing our user experience to the next level. You’ll be involved in every aspect of the product development process, from prototyping the product experience, pairing with engineering during development, creating pixel-perfect designs, and working with customers to understand gaps in the user experience. You will have tremendous responsibility over the vision, design, and functionality of the Postscript product.
In this role, you will utilize your full range of product design, interaction design, and visual design skills. Perhaps even more importantly, as the first product designer on our team you will establish and lead our product design culture and processes. You will have a significant influence on our product and team that will translate to lasting impact for our customers.
- Design for Postscript’s core product experience across our web application, our customers’ store fronts, and other platforms
- Take broad, conceptual ideas and translate them into something useful and valuable for our rapidly growing customer base
- Design and communicate your vision to the team using mock-ups, documentation, and prototypes
- Advocate for consistently great user experience across our platform by representing our users in product strategy and roadmap discussions
- Help grow the product design team by actively partaking in hiring and mentoring responsibilities
- Give, solicit, and take feedback from other designers and engineers to grow individually and raise the bar for excellence in the Postscript team
- Understand and own success metrics for relevant product areas
- Participate and shape the design team’s culture by helping define best practices and standardizing processes
- 5+ years of experience building and shipping world-class products across various platforms
- A portfolio of design projects that shows a deep understanding of design process and strong craft skills
- Experience working closely with product engineering teams
- Experience building processes around rapid design iteration and design collaboration
- Previous experience working in an early-stage software startup
- A deep understanding of the end-to-end iterative UX process, including wire-framing, prototyping, user research, and design systems
- Experience with modern design tools
What we’ll love about you
- You love early stage companies and being responsible for owning and improving a new, fast-growing product and user experience
- You’re excited to work a fully-remote team
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to articulate your design decisions and how they relate to the problem you’re solving
- You have a keen sense of how to prioritize your projects and time
- You have deep empathy for users and a passion for solving their problems
- You passionate about mentorship for junior designers
- You’re nice–no room for jerks on this team
What you’ll love about us
- Happy customers who want our product and happy team members who love our company
- Opportunity to join a rocket ship in its early stages
- Growth - we empower our people then get out of their way
- Fun - we're passionate and enjoy what we do
- Transparency - we’re open about the state of the business and value feedback loops at every level
- Empathy - we care about our employees and our customers - no room for jerks
- Remote culture - work from home (or wherever)
- Above market compensation, including equity, unlimited PTO + health, dental, vision insurance