System Engineer (f/*/m)
2 weeks ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: Europe Only
Category: Software Development
Frontastic is looking for a System Engineer (f/*/m) as full-time or part-time (min. 80%) employee. We’re a remote first company currently operating in the Europe/Berlin timezone. We will consider applications from candidates in Europe. (UTC to UTC+2)
We’re hosting our own software (SaaS) as well as customer extensions of our platform (PaaS) on the Google Cloud Platform while our customer sites often have to operate under high load. Our customers regularly deploy updates of their stacks themselves while we provide and maintain the Continuous Build and Deployment stack for them, enabling zero-downtime automatic deployments in guarded subnets for each customer.
You’ll work as a System Engineer, supporting and maintaining the infrastructure for our product and the scaleable infrastructure for our customers. Our infrastructure is automated using Ansible right now and we assume that migrating this to Terraform, Kubernetes and Docker will make sense in the near future for cost optimization. While continuously improving the infrastructure, you’ll keep the current stack working and support our professional services team during customer setup and in case of emergencies.
- Improve the current stack and eventually migrate to cost saving dynamic stacks (Kubernetes and Docker)
- Supporting Professional Services during setup and emergencies
- Be part of the On-Call rotation to maintain our customers SLAs
- Ensure security, resilience and scaleability of our infrastructure
- You reside and work in Europe (UTC to UTC+2)
- Are self described as more of a generalist than a specialist in your field
- You have a vision of how to better shape the development experience for all engineers and are happy to help providing the best possible infrastructure
- Relevant education and at least 3 to 5 years of professional experience as a system engineer or in a comparable field
- Experience with Networking, Cloud Infrastructures, Terraform and Kubernetes or similar technologies
- Very good knowledge of Linux
- You have the attitude and skills to survive in a complex and highly dynamic remote environment – and you know how to grow this attitude in your co-workers
- You have good written and verbal English communication skills
- It would be helpful if you already have experience of working remotely
Our team strives to constantly improve itself following these values:
- Make an Impact: We’re here to change the industry and we’re in it to win it. We’re incredibly focused and our main focus is on customer success. We boldly go out of our comfort zones, we support each other and we love doing what we do.
- Thirst for Learning: We’re addicted to learning and we learn from everything. We embrace our failures as they’re something we can learn from and only help us to improve. We think differently and we know that change is good. We’re curious and innovation leads the way, we’re constantly on the lookout for new ideas that can help our customers (and the world).
- Diversity Rules: We’re proud to be a diverse team spread across the world. We empower the under-represented and we build a safe community for everyone to be themselves while holding each other to account when needs be. We use asynchronous communication as we’re a remote company and need to be aware that we’re not always online at the same time.
- We’re In This Together: As colleagues, with our customers, and with our communities, co-operation and collaboration is key. We help one another as much as we can and we care for each other. We celebrate our successes together and we strive to find the right balance in our lives.
- Transparency First: We make all information as public as possible and we’re direct (as well as truthful) in all our communications. We don’t just explain what we’re doing but why we’re doing it. This is how we create positive relationships and move forward together.
We’re a remote first company with regular in-person meetings. We make intensive use of tools like Slack or video conferencing. We try to find a good balance between focused work and communication or in other words between asynchronous and personal communication. There are no fixed expectations regarding working hours, it’s normal for us to take care of private matters during the day – e.g. visits to the doctor or picking up children from school.
Our team strives to improve themselves following these guidelines:
- We offer a friendly learning environment and try hard not to blame anyone for not knowing something and actively encourage mentoring of your peers.
- We use practices like pair programming, test driven development when it makes sense and continuously refactor our code to constantly share knowledge and keep the amount of technical debt low.
- The same goes for us as a company, we continuously refactor our rules and guidelines. Overall, we have a very transparent, helpful, warm, familiar employee culture.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. If we receive job applications from yet underrepresented groups those applications will be preferred where multiple candidates have the same score.
We have put together a package for our employees which we think is pretty awesome, but you can judge for yourself.
- Company laptop
- An expense policy to support you in creating your workspace in a way that is most effective for you
- Flexible working as standard, as long as you’re available when needed and your work gets done, you’re free to choose your own schedule
- Contribution towards your private medical insurance where health insurance is not mandatory/organized at the government level
- Allowance for your home office, or for a co-working space
- 42 days of paid leave entitlement. We don’t require you to take off your local public holidays. You can choose to do so if you wish, or if your local laws require you to do so
You may notice that there is no salary listed here. This is intentional, we want to hire the best talent possible, and will consider all applications on their individual merit. Since we currently work from 12 different countries (and counting), it’s very difficult to offer consistent benefits beyond this.
Sound interesting? Send us a short tweet-style “why-me” in less than 280-characters to [email protected] Please also attach a .pdf copy of your CV.
Do you still have questions? Then don’t hesitate to get in touch via the same address!
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: Europe Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈