Remote people management Jobs in February 2020
6 Remote people management Jobs in February 2020Post a job
What is eyeo?
eyeo creates a sustainable, fair ecosystem by building, monetizing and distributing ad-blocking technology for everyone and everything online. By leveraging distribution partnerships, we bring ad-blocking technology everywhere, giving users control while providing user-friendly monetization. This is supported by our own desktop and mobile products, such as Adblock Plus, Adblock Browser and Flattr. In combining our reach based on distribution partnerships and our own products, our technology runs on over 150 million devices.
What does it mean to be a Core Development Lead at eyeo?
You will be responsible for making sure that the unit’s teams have all the support, autonomy and focus that’s needed to be successful. You will report directly to the CTO.
What is a unit?
Units are our means to scale and focus eyeo. They provide a framework for aligning teams towards a shared goal.
The unit is comprised of approx. 25 people:
Approximately half will report indirectly to you (they will be managed by Section Leads—your right-hand people)
Approximately a quarter (such as section leads, data scientists, machine learning experts and QA engineers) will report directly to you
The unit is made up of teams covering these topics:
Desktop browser extension core development
Android SDK development
iOS SDK development
Within our teams, we have cross-functional groups of peers working together to build our products.
How you can help us (with people)
Create the unit’s strategy, goals and initiatives, along with the teams
Ensure the unit has clear KPIs
Report KPIs regularly, and continuously work to improve them
Ensure the flow of information with product owners in order for them to be able to prioritize and maintain their backlogs autonomously, and to make the best product-related decisions
Align across the company and with other units on strategic and tactical topics
Continuously support the unit with goal alignment, proper tooling, facilitation and community-ship
People management and cross-company knowledge sharing and culture
Administrative work (budget, spending, hiring, evaluation, salaries, etc.)
How you can help us (with tech)
Maintain and improve the high quality of our core technologies (code and filter lists)
Security and maintainability of the tech stack and legal compliance of our filter lists
Create comprehensive documentation and specs
Establish our core technologies as products, ensuring proper product and release management
Improve our ad-blocking quality in the face of circumvention techniques
Close collaboration with industry-related representatives (e.g. browser companies, other ad-block companies)
Constantly improve our ways of working, tech stack and development processes (e.g. by applying automation and machine learning technologies)
What you bring to the table
Deep, customer-centric understanding of our partners’ and own products’ technology needs
Knowledgeable and passionate about developing both software and people
Continuously stay up-to-date on technology developments relevant to your work
You think in a systematic and analytical manner
You show a high degree of self-organization, initiative and motivation
Great communicator who can build bridges between people from different fields and backgrounds, and help them learn how to build those bridges themselves
Pragmatic, flexible and humble. You listen to your reports and support them rather than directing them.
Fluent in both written and spoken English
Well-versed with agile values and methodologies. We do not require specific methodologies or certifications, but we want you to have a strong understanding, and the ability to teach.
It’s awesome, but not required, if you have...
Experience collaborating in open-source communities (either as a hobby or as part of your past work)
Been involved in web standardization (W3C and similar)
Good understanding of online advertising and other types of publisher monetization
Experience with browser development
Experience in B2B and B2C product development
Experience in machine learning
You are an active member of the development community (writing, meetups, talks, OSS contributions, etc.)
Eyeo in the news: https://eyeo.com/press/
Blog updates: https://eyeo.com/blog/
Life at eyeo: https://eyeo.com/category/life-eyeo/
Meet the Team: https://eyeo.com/category/life-eyeo/meet-the-team/
Open Source repository: https://github.com/adblockplus, https://gitlab.com/eyeo
About UsAirbase is a modern spend management system designed for growth companies that need a single platform capable of managing entire company spend. Airbase brings the benefits of corporate card expense management, bill payments and accounts payable automation in one unified platform. Airbase is well funded and getting ready to invest aggressively in growth in 2020. Learn more about why innovative companies like Gusto, Segment, Doximity, Getaround, Netlify, and more trust Airbase at www.airbase.comAbout the JobWe're looking for a Director of Engineering to manage a team of engineers working on the Airbase spend management platform. You will - initially manage up to 15 engineers (directly and through 1-2 other engineering managers reporting to you), partner with the product owners of multiple areas of the platform from an engineering perspective, help define the product roadmap and deliver a high quality product. We're looking for someone who has a strong background as an individual contributor engineer and is now passionate about building teams and people management.Responsibilities
- Manage a team of backend and frontend engineers in one or more product areas
- Manage other engineering managers
- Conduct regular 1:1s with direct reports
- Mentor engineers and help them plan career growth
- Lead the hiring process for your team(s)
- Constantly be on the look out for opportunities to recruit good engineers. Build relationships even when there are no open roles on your team
- Collaborate with PMs to define roadmap for your area of the product
- Plan the work of your team. At Airbase, EMs commit to deliverables based on the defined roadmap and are ultimately accountable for shipping it.
- Be an active participant in important engineering choices made by the team
- Help define the engineering culture at Airbase
- At least 2-3 years of engineering management experience at the Director level with a total of 8 years or more experience in engineering management.
- At least 5 years experience developing web applications and backend services as an IC in a professional setting.
- You must have worked at a startup as an IC or EM.
- You should have played a lead role in building, shipping and maintaining a non-trivial production service as an individual contributor.
- If you're a strong individual contributor as a backend engineer, you should have a decent understanding of frontend technologies and vice versa.
- Must have an excellent understanding of how the web works.
- Familiar with modern engineering practices: code reviews, continuous-deployment, automated testing.
- Must be willing to constantly learn new things.
- Passionate about joining a small team and building a company.
Nice to haves
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
We offer competitive cash compensation and equity. We're a remote team and are happy to work with candidates from anywhere in India.
- A history of working on side/hobby projects and contributing to open source projects is a plus.
Who We Are
Process Street is a SaaS platform that helps companies manage their processes and workflows to make recurring work fun, fast and faultless. We are a lean, flexible, 100% distributed team that relies on systems to improve output 10X. Process Street is a venture-backed startup and an AngelPad alum (the #1 Accelerator in the US).
A distributed team means freedom and flexibility: All 30-plus of us work wherever we’d like—reliable internet access is our only requirement. Spread across 9 time zones in 10 countries, we sign into Slack and open up our work tools on the schedule that fits our lives best. We communicate asynchronously, work autonomously, and take ownership of our work. Distributed work isn’t for everyone, but if it fits your management style, it’s a life-changing benefit.
Camaraderie from afar: Being 100% distributed doesn’t stop us from getting to know each other— we have daily conversations in chat, weekly “coffee” pairings with coworkers, and once a year we all come together for an all-team retreat.
Our values: As a small, nimble company, we want our employees to feel empowered to make decisions and define the future of our company, so our values include:
- Act like an owner (Agency!)
- Default to action (Processes are great; bureaucracy isn't!)
- Focus on the process (See? Great.)
- Practice prioritization (There are an infinite number of useful things to do. We trust you to pick the best ones.)
- Pay attention to details (Our customers count on us!)
- Over-communicate everything. Twice (See what we did there?)
We are looking for a Director of Engineering with experience building SaaS products to expand and lead our team of software engineers. Process Street is a small, fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you'll likely get to contribute to many different projects across the organization. Here are some of the things you'll do:
- Develop effective ways to communicate, monitor, and lead your team through one-on-ones and team meetings.
- Keep the executive leadership team informed on your team’s progress through one-on-ones, written updates, and regular team hangouts.
- Build rapport with each member of the engineering team and support them through coaching and mentorship to help level up their skills.
- Participate in code reviews, learning, and spreading technical knowledge throughout Process Street -- moving knowledge to documentation where appropriate.
- Occasionally dive into the code - fixing bugs, improving the developer experience, smoothing edges -- sometimes even spiking out small proofs of concept.
- Collaborate across various disciplines (Product Managers, Designers, Researchers) to help set technical roadmaps that will achieve business goals.
- Actively recruit, onboard, and train new engineers at Process Street. This might involve tweaking the skills portions of interviews or writing better documentation.
- Ensure customers have an amazing experience using Process Street.
You are an experienced engineer with a strong background working in our stack: React, ES6/TypeScript, Scala, Play 2 and PostgreSQL. Even if you aren't a daily coder, you regularly exercise your coding muscles to provide any technical context the team may need.
This isn't your first rodeo. You have hired, trained, and managed at least a few engineers before.
We value collaboration and investing in our people, so you are an effective team builder. You know how to hire, train, and develop engineers from all backgrounds. You understand the benefits of building a diverse and inclusive engineering team. You're adaptable and you know how to build, change, and adjust to the needs of a company as it grows.
You have strong communication skills and can partner with stakeholders across departments to balance engineering, product, and marketing/sales concerns. When possible, you find solutions that address both team and user needs, and when it’s not possible, you help build understanding and buy-in for difficult decisions.
You can keep track of, prioritize, and lead multiple projects at once. We're a small team, and there's no shortage of things you could be doing in a day. You'll carve out time for functional projects and make sure they solve real problems the team faces - ideally making future development even easier.
What You'll Bring
- 5+ years of software development experience
- 2+ years people management experience related to engineering teams
Diverse Teams Build Better Products
Legally, we need you to know this:
Process Street does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a non-profit organization supporting Wikipedia and other Wiki projects. The Foundation operates one of the world’s top five websites and has global reach and impact. Technology and innovation are critical in our quest to support every human in freely sharing knowledge.
Wikimedia seeks a senior design professional to help deliver the future of free access to knowledge online. The Senior Design Manager will support the geographically distributed team of talented designers who are responsible for creating the engaging and delightful user experiences for all Wikimedia products.
As the team’s manager, you will be responsible for ensuring high productivity across the team, maintaining positive team rapport, and facilitating the professional growth of individual designers. In this role you will also act as an advocate for the design team as part of engagement with your peers in Product Management. You will drive the planning and facilitation of group activities (on and offline) and manage ongoing team projects such as the Wikimedia Design Style Guide.
You are responsible for:
Collaboration & Advocacy
- Develop and maintain strong, collaborative relationships with Design Lead peers and Design Director
- Be a strong voice for design in product team planning with Product Managers
- Support the creative vision of your peers through planning, advocacy, and process oversight
- Ensure healthy dynamics and positive rapport between team members
- Facilitate ongoing career development conversations across the team
- Develop recognition and enrichment opportunities for all designers
- Advocate for design team to peers in promotion discussions
- Drive the hiring process for new team members
- Manage and improve onboarding process for new team members
- Be an empathetic and supportive ally to reports, and their trusted ear when issues arise
- Drive annual budgeting process for design team - be a strong negotiator
- Track and manage budget resources throughout the year
Skills and Experience:
- Collaborate with product and engineering leads to maintain human-centered product design processes
- Liaise with product teams to coordinate on-time deliverables of your reports
- Work with designers to identify and document reusable design patterns
- Ensure and optimize the productivity of the design team
The right person is better than the right set of experiences. These are the traits we’ve identified make great additions to our team so far.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- 3+ years of experience contributing as a designer on a product design team
- 3+ years of experience managing a team of product designers
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in related work experience
- Ability to clearly communicate objectives and expectations to design team and product team stakeholders
- Self-driven and comfortable working autonomously
In addition to the basic skills needed for being successful, these skills could set you apart from the pack!
- Ability to identify and leverage areas of overlap between teams
- Passion for participatory (vs. only consumption) experiences on the web
- Background in content consumption, publishing, education, or news
- Experience acting as a researcher, both in-person and with remote participants
- Have familiarity with Free Knowledge and/or Open Source communities
- Speak more than one of the 286 languages of the users we design for
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation
Clipboard Health (YC W17) is a globally remote team of 70+ people, post product/market fit. We are a marketplace that connects healthcare facilities with nurses nearby. We exist to serve our two separate clients: to give nurses more flexible schedules, and to give healthcare facilities reliable flexible staff.
You'd lead product and working closely with a fast growing engineering org. Our product today manages millions of dollars of invoices & pay for thousands of participants on both sides of the market. But, we've only scratched the surface in the space of products and experiences we could build, and need your help.
We're looking for a Head of Product who can ideally quickly become player / coach as we grow and take on people management responsibility. You will not be building things with the hope that people need it, but rather filling the desperate needs of our users while innovating in ways they didn't even know they needed. You'll have to be adaptable, learn quickly and have a deep interest in understanding our business, our users and our product deeply.
Beyond the basics, what will make you successful here:
Extreme Ownership: the buck stops with you, no matter what anyone else did or did not do.
Extreme Curiosity: the ability to dig into the "why" on customer problems
4+ years of PM experience at preferably marketplace companies.
You've shipped features in a small PM team, love both the strategic and the details.
Do great work that matters, in healthcare, for customers who could really use your help.
$0 deductible medical plans, plus dental and vision.
Zero commute. Work wherever you are, globally (but on US Pacific Time hours)
Clipboard Health does not discriminate against race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, medical condition, marital status, or registered domestic partner status in looking for potential hires. We believe in fair equal employment opportunities.
As the VP of Product, you will play a key role in helping the GitLab Product Management team scale rapidly and realize our product vision to be a complete DevOps platform. This role reports to the EVP of ProductResponsibilities
- Hire, lead, and coach a rapidly growing team of 30+ Product Managers
- Directly manage a team of 4-6 Product Directors
- Ensure a cohesive, coherent, and compelling end-to-end customer experience
- Align team with end-to-end product line vision and goals
- Leverage portfolio product management techniques to ensure product investments are properly allocated across the end-to-end GitLab product
- Partner effectively with Engineering, Design, and Product Marketing to ensure we validate, build, launch, and measure product experiences that customers love and value
- Help refine and implement the GitLab product development flow, ensuring team members receive training and coaching required to work effectively within the system
- Serve as a spokesperson for the end-to-end GitLab product internally and externally
- 18 years+ of relevant experience, with 10+ years of people management experience, including management of Directors+
- Strong understanding of DevOps markets, competition, and underlying technologies
- Track record of leading products to successful commercial outcomes
- Excellent at boardroom and big stage presentations, and able to inspire and motivate customers and employees through written and verbal communications
- Demonstrated ability to teach and coach the product management skills as outlined here
- Ability to use GitLab
- Successful completion of a background check.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page. Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
- 30 minute screening call with Recruiter
- 50 minute interview with EVP, Product
- 50 minute panel interview with Sr. Director, Engineering & Director, UX
- 50 minute interview with Director, Product
- 50 minute interview with Director, Product
- 50 minute interview with CEO