Remote linux unix Jobs in April 2020
3 Remote linux unix Jobs in April 2020Post a job
🔥 NEW: -50% on Remotive Community Memberships during COVID 19.Remotive Slack Community
Ockam is building SDKs for embedded systems, edge devices, and cloud. The Ockam code base is polyglot and built in a highly modular architecture. We utilize Rust, C, Elixir, and Golang in our stack.You will be responsible for assisting our C development team with upholding the highest standards of architecture and open-source code quality. Our customers are developers, so our code must withstand the most critical scrutiny. This means everything from our APIs, to our build systems, to coding standards must be top-notch.This role will involve
- Developing build, test & deployment frameworks
- Occasional refactoring of existing code
- Development of general purpose utilities in C
- Build automation tools
- Embedded development in ANSI-standard C
- Linux or Unix operating systems
- Git and GitHub's workflow
- Complex CMake build systems for multiple platforms
- CI pipelines
- Automated test frameworks
- 5+ years of experience as a C developer on Linux/Unix platforms
- 3+ years of experience as a CMake developer
- Experience developing automated build & test frameworks
- Experience with various communication protocols, such as: POSIX sockets, Bluetooth, LoRa, Zigbee.
This role will be based in Poland, but all Europeans are encouraged to apply.Remote candidates are encouraged to apply.Ockam is a distributed, remote-first structured team with a headquarters in San Francisco California.
- Development in an object-oriented programming language
The Wikimedia Foundation is hiring two Site Reliability Engineers to support and maintain (1) the data and statistics infrastructure that powers a big part of decision making in the Foundation and in the Wiki community, and (2) the search infrastructure that underpins all search on Wikipedia and its sister projects. This includes everything from eliminating boring things from your daily workflow by automating them, to upgrading a multi-petabyte Hadoop or multi-terabyte Search cluster to the next upstream version without impacting uptime and users.
We're looking for an experienced candidate who's excited about working with big data systems. Ideally you will already have some experience working with software like Hadoop, Kafka, ElasticSearch, Spark and other members of the distributed computing world. Since you'll be joining an existing team of SREs you'll have plenty of space and opportunities to get familiar with our tech (Analytics, Search, WDQS), so there's no need to immediately have the answer to every question.
We are a full-time distributed team with no one working out of the actual Wikimedia office, so we are all together in the same remote boat. Part of the team is in Europe and part in the United States. We see each other in person two or three times a year, either during one of our off-sites (most recently in Europe), the Wikimedia All Hands (once a year), or Wikimania, the annual international conference for the Wiki community.
Here are some examples of projects we've been tackling lately that you might be involved with:
- Integrating an open-source GPU software platform like AMD ROCm in Hadoop and in the Tensorflow-related ecosystem
- Improving the security of our data by adding Kerberos authentication to the analytics Hadoop cluster and its satellite systems
- Scaling the Wikidata query service, a semantic query endpoint for graph databases
- Building the Foundation's new event data platform infrastructure
- Implementing alarms that alert the team of possible data loss or data corruption
- Building a new and improved Jupyter notebooks ecosystem for the Foundation and the community to use
- Building and deploying services in Kubernetes with Helm
- Upgrading the cluster to Hadoop 3
- Replacing Oozie by Airflow as a workflow scheduler
And these are our more formal requirements:
- Couple years experience in an SRE/Operations/DevOps role as part of a team
- Experience in supporting complex web applications running highly available and high traffic infrastructure based on Linux
- Comfortable with configuration management and orchestration tools (Puppet, Ansible, Chef, SaltStack, etc.), and modern observability infrastructure (monitoring, metrics and logging)
- An appetite for the automation and streamlining of tasks
- Willingness to work with JVM-based systems
- Comfortable with shell and scripting languages used in an SRE/Operations engineering context (e.g. Python, Go, Bash, Ruby, etc.)
- Good understanding of Linux/Unix fundamentals and debugging skills
- Strong English language skills and ability to work independently, as an effective part of a globally distributed team
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science, related field or equivalent in related work experience. Do not feel you need a degree to apply; we value hands-on experience most of all.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
Part of Something Bigger!
The Internet is for anyone who wants to share their ideas with the world. At Namecheap, we're excited to help our customers realize their dreams. That's why we're here.
Our teams constantly work to transform the latest tech breakthroughs into usable products that will shape the future of not just Namecheap, but the entire industry.
Inside the Cloud Team, you and your teammates will pave the way in infrastructure, research, and frontend development, creating platforms that meet the needs of our customers and our company.
We describe ourselves as a team of technical experts, made stronger by diverse perspectives. We pride ourselves on our flat, open working style, and use every chance we can to inject humor into the daily hustle.
Cloud Engineer, you will contribute to building and maintain our next generation cloud product fleet. You will join a heterogeneous team focused on making technology accessible by delivering robust, customer-friendly cloud products.
Location: Remote - Europe.
Ideate, plan and create a wide variety of cloud services
Help to build our container application cloud on top of our own bare metal
Research, learn and share some of the latest trends and technologies in the cloud industry
Configure and integrate cloud software
Interact daily with application developers to help support products on top of our own cloud
Improve the performance of our cloud services and solve scaling issues
Perform deep technical investigations and troubleshooting
Ensure proper security, monitoring, alerting and reporting for our cloud services
Document processes and software
Share technical knowledge with the team members
Be committed to best practices
Give your opinions on operational processes, DevOps, deployment checklists, and more
Previous experience with large-scale, high-availability, asynchronous, distributed systems
3+ years experience with shell scripting
Strong Linux/Unix experience and deep understanding of how systems work
Strong experience with at least one of the following automation tools: Ansible (would be great), Puppet, Salt
Docker and Kubernetes experience very important. RKT, LXC a plus.
Experience of software-defined storage (Ceph, Gluster, persistent container storage and more)
Experience of physical and software-defined networking a plus, especially a container based networking
Private cloud/building on own bare metal, including VMware and OpenStack
Strong troubleshooting skills
Solid understanding of how to secure cloud services and data
Excellent communications skills
Have a strong will for self-development
Strong focus on self-education and self-motivation, team player with a keen desire to help others
It's great, but not essential, if you have
Previous experience with a programming language: Go (golang), Python preferred
Previous experience in hacking Linux kernel
Previous experience in the hosting/cloud industry
Experience with a public cloud provider like AWS or Gcloud
Experience with hosting operating systems like CoreOS, Atomic or similar
Experience with containers and their orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos)
Contributing to open source projects that power cloud services
Education and Work Experience
3+ years of experience with cloud/hosted services
Intermediate or higher level of written English
Our work culture and benefits
You’ll receive a competitive salary
Whether you work remotely from the comfort of your home, or in an office, you’ll interact with international colleagues from multiple disciplines, and with great sense of humor on a daily basis! We use multiple communication tools, have a few regular meetings a week (and sometimes more frequent). We also build in time for focused work (just let us know you’re in Do Not Disturb mode)
We work in an iterative way, fueled by testing and learning quickly from users, colleagues, and stakeholders. You’ll grow a lot in this evolving environment
We strive to design beautiful and delightful interactions but not at the expense of function, performance and accessibility. You’ll be challenged to achieve the best results for our users, and grow the metrics of our business
You’ll be able to manage your own time and energy to always work in a calm and healthy way and take the necessary time off to recharge