Remote kernel Jobs in February 2020
4 Remote kernel Jobs in February 2020Post a job
Do you want to be part of the team delivering custom Linux kernels for the most popular operating system in many of the world’s largest clouds? Would you like to contribute to the leading-edge kernels powering your favorite desktop or laptop as well as underpinning devices for Canonical’s AI/ML, robotics, edge and IoT products? Come join the kernel team at Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu. We are a growing international software company that works with the open source community to deliver Ubuntu. Our mission is to bring the benefits of free software to the widest possible audience and we believe the best way to fuel innovation is to give innovators the technology they need.
Life at Canonical is anything but corporate. As a company that exists to support one of today’s most important open source projects, we are changing the world on a daily basis. It’s a dynamic environment in which every member of the team takes personal responsibility for everything they produce.
A secure, high-performance Linux kernel is a crucial component of Canonical products for the success of our enterprise customers, partners and Ubuntu projects. As a member of the globally distributed Canonical Kernel Team, you will work on a variety of fast-moving and dynamic projects, providing you with a broad range of software engineering challenges.
The Canonical Kernel Team is responsible for maintaining all supported Ubuntu kernels in addition to driving development of the latest Ubuntu kernel for future Ubuntu releases. We are looking to hire a motivated and experienced kernel engineer into the Canonical Stable Kernel Team to help contribute to our ever-growing list of kernels and kernel engineering challenges.
Key Responsibilities and Accountability
- Use our extensive tool set to build and review our existing kernels
- Building new kernels for existing and new Canonical products
- Maintaining Ubuntu kernel git repositories
- Troubleshooting a wide variety of kernel engineering problems both in our development environment as well as our customer’s Linux-based products.
- Developing, reviewing and submitting kernel patches
- Assisting our kernel security engineering in backporting important kernel CVE’s
- Performing other kernel backports for resolving customer issues and requests
- Add new kernel support for hardware enablement requests
- Perform a wide variety of kernel-based testing and test development
Required Skills and Experience
- Demonstrable proficiency in C programming language
- Expert knowledge of git
- Solid scripting skills in Bash or Python (preferred)
- Strong experience with kernel debug and patching
- Knowledge of upstream kernel process and release cycle
- Familiarity with several important kernel subsystems
- Well organized and able to deliver consistently to schedule
- Experience interacting with upstream kernel developers and mailing lists
- Ability to thrive in a globally distributed team through self-discipline and self-motivation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to present oneself in a professional manner when interacting with colleagues, partners, and community
- Note: Some international travel will be required.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Ubuntu/Debian packaging experience
- Snap packaging experience
- Familiarity with Ubuntu Kernel SRU process and cadence
- Experience using Launchpad
- Kernel testing/benchmarking experience
- Understanding in one/some of several processor architectures such as x86-64, amd64, arm, etc.
Employee Benefits Canonical Offers:
- Flexible working options/work from home
- Tuition and Training Reimbursement
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Holiday for Service (Annual Leave)
- Conference Leave
- Priority Pass
- Laptop Refresh Benefit
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the world’s computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Linux Systems Support Engineer - Americas
At Canonical, we believe in the power of open source to change the world. Our services help businesses and governments around the world with migrations, management and support for some of the best open source projects - Ubuntu, OpenStack, Kubernetes, MAAS, LXD, Ceph. We are enthusiastic professionals from over 30 countries, the majority of whom are working from home.
What is a Linux Systems Support Engineer?
We solve challenging technical problems. From not-seen-before kernel crashes to configuration issues to root cause analysis, we provide an expert level of support and satisfaction to our customers.
We are rapidly expanding and are looking for talented problem solvers with a passion for working on the next generation of Ubuntu solutions for our customers.
- Work from home - take back those commuting hours and save those vehicle/transit costs!
- Get paid to help improve open source software.
- Possibility of international travel, up to 4 weeks a year.
- Daytime working hours - keep that work/life balance.
- Swap days add schedule flexibility when needed.
- Time off for conferences.
- Talent development program.
- Initial mentoring program to bring up to speed on needed technologies.
- Additional mentoring opportunities with some of the best in Linux, OpenStack, and more.
- Study time and expenses for obtaining relevant certifications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Bachelors or equivalent 4-year degree from an accredited college or university
- Pass a background check.
- Minimum 4 years experience supporting Linux systems including experience in:
- Virtualization - especially with KVM or OpenStack.
- Containers - especially with Docker, LXD/LXC, or Kubernetes.
- Storage - especially with Ceph, Swift, XFS, ZFS, btrfs.
- Networking (bonding, firewalling, bridging, switching, network file system tuning, MTU issues, etc.)
- Linux integration with other environments (authentication/directory services, network file systems, etc.)
- Cloud computing (provisioning, monitoring, orchestration, etc.)
- Troubleshooting experience:
- Basic reading of stack traces to be able to search for duplicates, escalate to correct team.
- Understand OS and Application level bugs and advise on next steps
- Programming fundamentals in any language.
- Customer support experience:
- Know how to adapt your speech depending on your audience.
- Communicate clearly: setting the right expectations, providing timely status updates, and clearly explaining necessary steps.
- Not getting too attached to a technical problem to not be able to let go or see the bigger picture.
- Investigate issues reported by customers by doing your own research and involving others across the organisation as necessary.
- Work to resolve complex customer problems related to Canonical’s wide variety of products including Ubuntu server, Ubuntu desktop, Ubuntu cloud images, Juju, MAAS, Snaps, Landscape, Canonical’s distributions of OpenStack and Kubernetes, and more.
- Ownership of results: Ensure that each support case owned by you is handled according to our Service Level Agreement (SLA) with the highest possible customer satisfaction by setting the right expectations and fulfilling your commitments.
- Engage directly with customers and work collaboratively by phone, ticketing system, and remote sessions to resolve their issues.
- Participate in a regular weekend working rotation.
- Contribute new knowledge base articles and maintain existing articles, ensuring shared knowledge and lessons learned are available to customers.
- Understanding Ubuntu development process to be able to set customer expectations correctly on timeline for a fix.
Background check required
Ubuntu is the most widely used Linux for innovation from cloud to connected device. Our growing team of IoT field engineers help customers deliver sophisticated IoT products and services across a wide range of industries - from autonomous vehicles to refrigeration solutions.
Field engineers carry a significant responsibility - helping customers understand the range of silicon and board options, helping them deliver their unique applications, and helping them ensure the security of critical infrastructure. Our team hires software engineers with experience in the full stack of Linux from firmware to GUI. We represent Canonical and its capabilities to some of the most important companies in the world. Our customers have tremendously varied goals - from mission critical and very expensive machines to tiny and low-cost things. We aim to bring the right insights at each stage of the process and to help these customers make effective choices. Most importantly, we aim to help them deliver devices that meet their business goals, on time.
Responsibilities include consulting, developing, demonstrating, and presenting some of the most advanced operating systems and application technologies available in the enterprise world. The role is a fast-paced, problem-solving environment and the questions require answers can be challenging yet very exciting. The right candidate must be resourceful, quick-thinking, and able to deliver on a wide variety of solutions across cloud, server, desktop and IoT technologies.
This role will support customers in EMEA market.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Build strategic relationships with key technology partners and customers
- Conduct yourself as a trusted technical advisor
- Apply expertise in analysing a customer's business or technical challenges and correctly map the appropriate solution
- Leverage deep knowledge of Ubuntu and related technologies to provide technical subject matter expertise to sales staff, partners, and customers for the development and implementation of complex IoT products and end-end solutions
- Work in conjunction with Canonical’s IoT and Cloud sales, delivery and business development teams to grow existing customer accounts as well as winning new customers, including the interaction with other offices in EMEA.
- Develop and present technical sales collateral such as presentations, how-to guides, and technical competitive documents to project teams.
- Propose and present custom technical solutions to Canonical’s clients and partners based upon Ubuntu technologies such as Ubuntu Core, Snaps and other Canonical technologies.
- Understand and champion the technical knowledge and product skills required to meet customer requirements and close new business.
- Assist in coordinating and preparing responses to RFx documents.
- Travel required; mix of domestic and international up to 30%.
Required Skills and Experience
- A degree in engineering, preferably computer science or software engineering
- 2 years experience in enterprise or commercial software development with Linux
- Excellent communication and presentation skills - both to customers and in support of technology and industry conferences.
- Skills in supporting complex sales cycles what involve detailed technical requirements, multiple technical stakeholders and new innovative product designs.
- Ability to interpret customer business challenges and technical issues and effectively communicate how a solution will align to their needs and requirements.
- Experience of deploying embedded and IoT solutions - from hardware, operating systems through applications and cloud services.
- Understanding of security issues in the IoT industry.
- Understanding of the Linux kernel: modules, BSPs, etc.
- Familiarity with x86 and ARM SoC architectures and vendors.
- Experience of working in verticals such as automotive, robotics, gateway, networking, industrial and digital signage.
- 5+ years of experience in technical roles with Linux, preferably Ubuntu
- Open source & Linux
- Familiarity with open source development tools and methodology.
- A strong and demonstrated grasp of Linux technologies including advanced scripting, development and Linux software packaging experience.
- Familiarity with the licenses and license compliance requirements for open source software.
- Familiarity with boot loaders and hardware-related aspects of Linux development
- Strong English language communication skills, especially in online environments such as mailing lists and social collaboration tools
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through self-discipline and self-motivation, delivering according to a schedule.
- Self-driven personality.
Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development.
Fastly’s customers use our edge cloud platform to ensure concertgoers can buy tickets to the live events they love, travelers can book flights seamlessly and embark on their next great adventure, and sports fans can stream events in real time, across devices. They include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Spotify, Alaska Airlines, Hulu, The New York Times, and Ticketmaster.
We’re building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Senior Technical Program Manager - Edge Engineering
Fastly is looking for a Senior Technical Program Manager to work with our Edge Engineering teams to drive execution of workloads passionate about increasing availability, performance, and efficiency of Fastly’s network. You will be responsible for helping teams develop and improve their processes for change management, coordination, planning, and implementation, for Fastly, daily. This position reports to our Senior Technical Program Manager, Engineering and partners with the Senior Director, Edge Engineering.
You’ll be a leader and facilitator at Fastly. You will have all of engineering on your side in the constant work of making our network, systems, and internal infrastructure more powerful, lower cost, and more useful to our customers. You will be held accountable for streamlining processes and de-risking projects by working with your counterparts on other teams and ensuring the Edge Engineering teams are firing on all cylinders. You’ll be essential to our success, relied upon by a wide array of individuals and teams. The projects and programs you lead will give you a clear line of sight to the benefit delivered to Fastly’s customers, and our bottom line.
This is a role which has an impact on a large number of human lives, you’ll be helping make the internet a better place. We provide a supportive environment with friendly teams, where you can learn and develop. We check our egos at the door. You’ll make sure our customers benefit from services built to the highest standards in the industry. We are a global, distributed team with the dedication and tools in place to make it work.
What will you do?
- Participate in regular planning, helping teams remove blockers, handle dependencies and resolve prioritization conflicts.
- Work with teams during interval planning to ensure that mechanisms are built to accurately track and status deliverables during execution periods.
- Ensure timely updates on Key Performance Indicators from teams, report on current vulnerabilities and problem backlogs, and progress therein.
- Partner with Engineering, Security and Infrastructure delivery teams to learn from incidents and identified vulnerabilities to constantly improve our availability and security postures.
- Participate in executing on roadmaps for architectural and process changes
- Instill discipline and consistency within the Edge Engineering teams in terms of operational methodologies and documentation.
Who will you work with?
What we’re looking for:
- Kernel, Edge Systems and Network Optimization leadership
- Operations and infrastructure teams
- Reliability engineering teams
- Application software development teams
- Network engineering
- Infrastructure/datacenter operations team
- Security team
- Significant experience with issue and project tracking systems, such as Jira, Confluence, Smartsheet and Zendesk.
- A strong action bias, preference for execution and incremental improvements.
- Comfortable with change, multi-tasking and managing priorities with outstanding organizational skills
- Passionate about growing the efficiency and stability of our Edge platform, up to scales of thousands of components and tens of systems.
- Self-motivated and proactive to maintain momentum and progress, and an ability to operate autonomously as necessary
- A shown collaborator who can execute whilst building positive relationships, proven capability in reducing organizational impedance
- Focus on the business needs and infrastructure reliability first and foremost.
- Experience as a technical program manager in infrastructure, cloud or SaaS environments.
- Some operational and technical understanding. Able to actively participate and contribute to operations process and technical discussions for large scale distributed services
- Experience with any of hardware-centered, network-centered, or kernel-centered programs a plus
- Ability to integrate experiences and training to learn new technological paradigms.
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills, a risk mitigation mindset and in possession of appropriate levels of urgency.
- Strong sense of ownership. Actively remove program obstacles, and be willing to go above and beyond to chase down loose ends that lead to successful product delivery.
- Focus on results and outcome, not just process.
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Our customers have a tremendous user base, and we support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their hearts with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is part of our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits, like generous parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful — every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not “one size fits all”. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they’re passionate about.
Fastly provides equal employment opportunity without regard to an applicant’s race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status or veteran status.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.