Writer - Opinion/Commentary
The Western Journal
3 months ago
Job type: Contract
Hiring from: USA Only
The core function of this position is to produce written Commentary articles for our audience of conservative readers. The ideal candidate will have a thorough understanding of current events, politics and ongoing cultural battles, and be able to articulate thoughtful views on these topics in a timely manner.
This position requires one to three articles per day, several days per week, but the specific schedule can vary.
Articles will appear in the Commentary section of The Western Journal under your byline. You may read more about The Western Journal here and view our Editorial Standards and Guidelines here.
We will pick a topic and headline for you, as well as provide a source article to get you started. This process can be iterative, of course -- sometimes the initial headline or angle of the story will need modification as more information becomes known about a given topic. In most cases, you will need to do additional research to ensure that you have a thorough grasp of the topic and can write at least 340 words and 16 paragraphs about it in a thoughtful and credible fashion.
We pay a starting rate of $15-20 per article, depending on experience and skill level.
- Conduct research and analysis on topics and events assigned by editorial team.
- Report and comment on current events, U.S. politics, domestic and international affairs, and other relevant topics.
- Assemble statements, data and other evidence to support any claims made in the report.
- Accept feedback from editorial team and apply new knowledge to writing for our highly engaged audience.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Keen interest in and understanding of current events, especially national politics.
- Ability to interact with colleagues and field contacts.
- Ability to adapt to the inherent changes of an evolving and growing company.
- Passion for writing and a firm grasp of grammar and organization.
- Experience with WordPress or another CMS is a plus.
- Experience writing for a print or online news outlet is a plus.
- Knowledge of AP Style is a plus.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈