1 month ago
Job type: Freelance
Hiring from: UK Only
Team: Developer Relations
Location: London, UK
Ably is the world’s fastest Data Stream Network (DSN) spread over 14 data centers and 175+ points of presence. Each day we stream billions of realtime messages to millions of end-users for thousands of developers around the world. Some of the things our platform powers: HubSpot’s chat and collaboration products, live score updates for millions of Australian Open tennis fans, live transit updates for three million Chicagoans. Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure that will power and shape the future of the internet.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at www.ably.io/careers.
What we do
Ably’s engineering team is deeply technical, collectively bringing a wealth of experience and broad technology skills across infrastructure, security, distributed systems, and much more. The calibre of the code we produce is what excites and motivates us each day. If you enjoy solving hard distributed system problems that are mostly platform agnostic and theoretical in nature, then you'll love working at Ably. You’ll work in a team that is small enough to be truly agile, delivering APIs that power some of the biggest tech, businesses and consumer brands in the world.
What the role is
Ably is an engineering company at its heart. Our audience ranges from software engineers to CIOs and it’s our job to make sure the world knows about Ably.
You will take complex information and communicate it clearly, concisely and accurately without relying on technical jargon to explain what you’re trying to say. You will maintain, develop, and improve sites such as https://github.com/ably/docs (which creates https://www.ably.io/documentation/). You will be the key link between our engineers, marketing team, developer advocates and our developer customers.
As our freelance Technical Writer, you will be juggling many projects, from reading and writing example code, to reviewing 3rd party technical content commissioned, to updating FAQs, UX interfaces, API documentation and tutorials, to supporting product launches.
To be able to do this role, you will need to:
- Like and have a special interest in web technologies, RESTful APIs, coding -- and teaching others about these topics.
- Enjoy best practice and creating documentation that helps customers to make optimal decision to achieve their requirements.
- Be able to analyse documentation usage, support data, and user feedback to continuously improve documentation and inform documentation roadmap.
- Be comfortable with HTML, CSS and Markdown.
- Care about the experience developers have and find it rewarding to positively influence how quickly they can learn concepts and features and ultimately build apps and services more quickly.
What’s it like to be a part of the Ably team?
Founded by two engineers who spotted a hard and largely unsolved problem, Ably is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide the infrastructure required for a high-bandwidth, always-connected world, we hire engineers with a broad set of technical skills who are ready and capable of taking on challenging realtime engineering problems.
We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well. As an Ablyan, you’ll enjoy taking ownership and making an impact, with work that is both varied and challenging. And to really thrive at Ably, you’ll need to believe in and be prepared to do your work in line with our values, which are:
- Open For All. Open is a mindset. When open, we’re better collaborators, communicators and creators. Whether open source, standards, or protocols, open hearts, minds, and eyes. It’s better when it’s open.
- Bias For Action. We avoid analysis paralysis at all costs. We lean into doing in order to move us forward. When we have enough of what we need to act, we act.
- Even The Best Do Better. We want to be the best - but that doesn’t mean we rest when we are. Improvement and growth - true betterment - is an ongoing journey. One fuelled by curiosity and taking risks.
- Technology Needs Humanity. Our technology means little without people - whether that’s how we treat our colleagues, or how we design developer experiences. Being human matters.
- Dependable People Make Dependable Things. Dependability is integral to our mission and technology, but being dependable starts with our people. When we care enough to take real ownership of our products and problems - all else will follow.
- The Greatest Rewards Lie On The Hardest Paths. The bigger the challenge the easier the choice. We choose the path to build a truly exceptional product and culture because it always creates better outcomes, and is always what will set us apart.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: UK Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈