1 month ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Astronomer is the commercial developer of Apache Airflow, a community-driven open-source tool that’s leading the market in data orchestration. We’re a global, venture-backed team of learners, innovators and collaborators working to build an Enterprise-grade product that makes it easy for data teams at Fortune 500’s and startups alike to adopt Apache Airflow. Join us on our mission.
Do you want to be the most asked-for hire at Astronomer? We’ve long been excited to have a Technical Writer join our team to own the documentation experience for Astronomer and Airflow users all over the world. We’re coming out of a Series A looking to formalize a role that encompasses everything from technical documentation as part of the product release cycle to process management and long-term content strategy.
At Astronomer, we see our documentation as an extension of our product. If you’re a product-minded technical writer or former developer passionate about translating complex technical concepts to engaging educational content within the context of open-source technology, this role is for you.
At Astronomer you will....
- Build, improve, and maintain developer facing documentation for the Astronomer Platform. You’ll spend time digging into source code and meeting with all members of the engineering team to gain a deep understanding of our product offerings.
- Own, promote and advocate for continuous improvement of the documentation experience at Astronomer.
- Create and enforce processes that ensure documentation is reliably generated and/or updated at the end of every product release cycle. Learn the details of all new features with hands-on experimentation and testing.
- Conduct proactive user research to inform content hierarchy, content, format and presentation of public docs. Create guidelines for users to give feedback.
- Work with Product, Sales and Customer teams to triage customer feedback and prioritize requests for tutorials, how-to’s, videos, and best practices guides that go beyond the platform.
- Generate guidelines/writing standards for contributors to follow. Lean into quality governance to ensure all docs are consistent in tone, brand and format.
- Work to ensure that our documentation is consistent with existing copy and UX presented in our product itself.
- Work with Design + Engineering to help generate copy/language for the Astronomer Website. Lead efforts to optimize content for SEO.
- Collaborate with the Airflow team at Astronomer to help develop long-term content strategy for the open-source Airflow community.
Our ideal candidate:
- You have experience in a technical writer role
- You have experience writing content to be consumed by Infrastructure engineers and / or back-end developers.
- You have experience working with products containing APIs and CLIs and are conversant with concepts such as passing Contexts, Authentication, and Authorization. Will need a sample of work reflecting this.
- You have experience planning, managing and delivering developer-facing documentation across multiple teams
- You have enough of a developer background that you can read code written in node.js and/or Python and capture nuances in corresponding documentation
- You’re comfortable and familiar with modern cloud services, Docker and Containerization
- You’re a strong verbal and written communicator. You have a knack for breaking down complex technical concepts into engaging and digestible content
- You’re self-driven, you love to write and you’re passionate about technology
- You have an eye for detail and an opinion on whether we should title a navigation menu “Develop Locally” or “Developing Locally”
- Familiarity with GitHub, git, version control best practices, and writing documentation in markdown
- You have a portfolio of technical writing samples that you’re willing to share
Bonus points if you’re familiar with:
- Apache Airflow
- CLI Tool Documentation
- Cloud Networking Concepts (AWS/GCP/Azure)
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈