Media Reviewer- Podcasts
Common Sense Media
1 month ago
Job type: Contract
Hiring from: USA Only
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Netflix, Comcast, DirecTV, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 100,000 member schools across the country use our ratings and free curriculum and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, and legislators to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
The equity-focused podcast reviewer will use their subject-matter expertise to consume, evaluate, and write about entertainment content for parents through the lenses of child development, and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). With excellent writing, editing, and communication skills, this contract role will produce anywhere from one to 10 new podcast reviews per month. Work may also include updates to previously published reviews. We are committed to hiring reviewers from diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
REPORT TO: Streaming Content Editor
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA (remote available)
DURATION: Six months, with the potential to extend
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Consume podcasts; evaluate them according to our proprietary rubric, detailed guidelines, and best practices; and write original reviews in a consumer/parent-friendly tone.
- Accurately source information about podcast titles, including hosts/production companies, run time/length, and release dates. Locate and process materials like press contacts, image files, etc.
- Upload text, images, and other data into our proprietary content management system.
- Apply Common Sense style guide, including detailed guidance on inclusive writing, to all written materials.
- Evaluate reviews through a diversity, equity, and inclusion lens to identify and correct problematic language and decenter the White voice.
- Occasionally communicate with publicists.
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RÉSUMÉ:
- Demonstrated expertise in and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in media criticism and writing.
- Discernment for audio quality, effective audio storytelling, and relatability of content to a diverse audience.
- Expertise in radio, podcasts, or any other audio-centered media.
- Understanding of streaming audio content and the different streaming platforms.
- Background in journalism, child development, media criticism, or a related field.
- Experience as a conversational writer, ideally for a parent audience (with clips to show for it).
- Technical know-how, with experience using online content management systems and cloud-based software.
- Demonstrated ability to execute projects working in a self-directed way with priorities/deadlines that may shift quickly.
THE "X" FACTOR:
- You enjoy thinking critically about media from a variety of vantage points.
- Spanish-language proficiency is a plus.
- You are inspired by Common Sense's mission!
Common Sense Media values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer.
Common Sense will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. However, job offers are made on the condition that the applicant subsequently passes a criminal background check. If the background check indicates a prior criminal conviction, we will conduct an individualized assessment to determine whether the conviction should result in denial of employment.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place:USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈