Deputy Editor, Future Perfect
2 weeks ago
Hiring from: USA Only
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Vox.com is a user's guide to the news, helping readers make sense of everything from the Covid-19 pandemic to the protests against police brutality to the 2020 election. We want to create the single best resource for news consumers anywhere.
Our Future Perfect section is an especially exciting place for that mission to come alive. Future Perfect covers the world through a particular prism: What are the best ways to do good in this world? Future Perfect strives to shine a light on neglected stories that have, or will have, a profound impact on the lives of millions of humans and animals.
Among our key subject areas include global poverty and public health, the catastrophic and existential threats that we face, the philosophies and practices surrounding philanthropy and altruism, and the policies and choices that affect the lives of billions of animals worldwide.
In the coming year, we are looking to expand our coverage of animal welfare and factory farming -- including its impact on the environment, it’s approach to labor, and how it affects local agriculture -- as well as other adjacent issues.
To that end, Vox is looking for a deputy editor for Future Perfect. We want a self-starter who will help drive daily coverage on Future Perfect, with an eye toward expanding our factory farming and animal welfare content.
We want an aggressive editor who will drive the day-to-day coverage, assigning and developing stories with freelance and staff writers. While the focus will be on bolstering our animal and farming coverage, editorial duties will encompass a wide range of topics, including the ones mentioned above.
We’re looking for someone with:
- 3-5 years’ experience editing, or equivalent
- Strong managerial and communication skills
- Excellent news judgment
- Concise and clever headline writing skills
- A demonstrated ability to bring analysis and sharp angles to news stories
- A strong understanding of the speed of web journalism and the importance of careful editing
- The proofreading instincts of a copy editor
- A sharp eye for SEO and social media savvy
- A background covering factory farming and animal welfare, along with topics implicated in our food system (the environment, climate, labor, etc.), is preferred
- Familiarity with or interest to learn more about effective altruism, as well as a broader background covering global poverty and public health; climate change, pandemics, and other catastrophic threats to humanity; and/or philanthropy is desirable
- Experience in and enthusiasm for diving into research literature, particularly in economics, psychology, sociology, political science, biology/medicine, and computer science is desirable
- Take the lead in assigning and editing articles and other content -- including podcasts, video, and special series or packages -- for Future Perfect on factory farming, animal welfare, future of meat, and other adjacent issues
- Be our point person when it comes to following news developments on these subject areas
- With the Future Perfect editor, set both day-to-day coverage and broader strategic priorities for the vertical
- Assist in the day-to-day assigning and editing of all Future Perfect content
- Assign, edit, and produce the Future Perfect newsletter, a twice-weekly newsletter written by Future Perfect staffers
- Build up Future Perfect’s stable of freelance contributors, especially in the subject areas above
- Assist with Future Perfect’s social media campaigns and reader outreach
Vox values thinkers, creators, and obsessives from all backgrounds. We encourage those with diverse and nontraditional experience to apply.
The ideal candidate would be based in Washington, DC, though we will consider qualified candidates who can only work remotely.
To apply, please submit a résumé, cover letter, and 3-5 clips that you’ve edited or written (clips can either be linked in your cover letter or included as additional pages to your cover letter).
In your cover letter, please be sure to address the following questions: What appeals to you about working at Vox’s Future Perfect? What’s your approach to editing? When it comes to factory farming, animal welfare, and similar topics, which Future Perfect pieces stand out to you? What kind of pieces/angles do you want to pursue? Feel free to go longer than you usually do on the cover letter — we’d love to get a sense of how you think, write, and edit.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a grant-funded one-year full-time staff position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈