Almanac’s mission is to democratize access to 21st century skills, insights, and tools so that no one is limited by knowledge in pursuit of their potential.
Through our own experiences, we’ve seen professionals at digital businesses waste too much time trying to find answers they can trust that help them do their jobs better. We believe this problem isn’t rooted in a lack of knowledge or expertise in the world, but in the deficiencies of tools we rely on to access, share, and improve how work gets done.
To make opportunity available to everyone, we’re building a knowledge platform that technology professionals can trust for documenting, distributing, and collaborating on how they work. We replace tools like Confluence and Google Docs to help individuals quickly access knowledge within and across companies that they can trust deeply.
We’ve been moving fast since we founded Almanac in January 2019. Since then, we’ve built and launched the initial version of our product, raised a $2M+ seed round from leading Silicon Valley investors, and grown our full-time team to 10 people.
We’ve seen deep demand from a broad cross section of customers, who are asking for a powerful platform that can help their employees be their best selves at work.
About the role
We’re looking for a hungry, talented engineer who wants to make a big impact at this early stage in our roadmap.
As a full stack engineer, you will be responsible for building out the intuitive, interactive experiences that our customers need to organize their own documentation, as well as determining the backend architecture and endpoints that we need to support those features.
Specifically, you will:
- Write elegant, well-tested code in a modern technology stack
- Participate in standups, code reviews and retrospectives with our remote team
- Work closely with our Head of Engineering and the engineering team to make architecture and design decisions
- Help make sure everything runs smoothly & safely in production
- Set down standards around development, code review and deployment
Our tech stack
- Rails 5.2, Postgres 10.6, React, Algolia
- Team size: 11-50 people
Things we love
- Self-documenting JSON APIs, Algolia, BDD, git, continuous delivery, Heroku, vim (ok, maybe just me), Tartine croissants
What you bring to the role
- You are confident working across the stack, whether its expanding our API or enhancing the frontend.
- You are passionate about writing clean and well-thought out code
- You want to karate kick technical debt in the chops
- You’re comfortable writing test suites in a test-driven environment
- You can craft a devastating SQL query to save the day when all else fails
- You are a strong communicator and able to clearly articulate technical problems
- You want to be an early contributor to our engineering culture and work environment
Skills that make you extraordinary
- Obsession with high-quality work
- Ability to work independently and to adapt to the developing requirements of our users and market
- Love of detailed, continuous feedback that makes the work better
- Desire to always move fast and prioritize speed over scope
- Passion to be an early contributor to our engineering culture and work environment
- Hunger to build a world-changing product
About working at Almanac
At Almanac, we’re looking for structured thinkers full of passion, ambition, and kindness. We’d love for you apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your experience, skills, and interests will help you stand out—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Almanac, we welcome people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives who aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions and the status quo. Join us.
At Almanac, we:
- Are fundamental optimists who believe we’re still only at the start of the digital age.
- Go to extraordinary lengths to distinguish ourselves through world-class work.
- Prioritize quality over speed, and speed over scope.
- Desire working with deeply kind, mission-driven people.
- Strive to make the complex simple.
- Use first principles to debate ideas, test assumptions, and make decisions.
- Seek the truth by putting data above opinions.
- Assume good intent and give tactical feedback to help each other get better.
- Hold no ego—when our customers win, we all win.
As a company, we are seriously committed to your professional development and growth:
- You will set your own monthly goals aligned with our ambitious strategy
- You will have our collective support in achieving major wins—and personal coaching from your manager
- You will be able to request and manage your own budget
- You will be encouraged to take risks, try new things, and be creative with your work
- You will have many opportunities to exchange and engage in feedback
- You will be offered continual chances to stretch yourself and raise your own bar
- You will be rewarded for achieving excellence and mastery