Senior Software Engineer in Test, Secure
1 month ago
Job type: Full-time
Category: Software Development
This Software Engineer in Test position for our Secure team is 100% remote.
GitLab is building an open-source, single application for the entire software development lifecycle—from project planning and source code management to CI/CD, monitoring, and security.
Right now, we’re in a period of growth, we’ve more than doubled the size of the Quality department through 2019, and we’ve increased the number of GitLab employees from 400 to over 1100 this financial year, too.
At GitLab, we live and breathe open source principles. This means our entire handbook is online, and with a few clicks, you can find the details of future releases, check out our past releases, and see an overview of the product vision you’d contribute to when working here.
As a Software Engineer in Test at GitLab, you will be embedded in our Secure stage group. You’ll be responsible for baking in a culture of quality across the categories found within our Secure team, expanding on our existing test automation frameworks and test coverage across a range of configurations, and leading our test automation efforts on new features within our Secure categories as part of a dedicated cross-functional team.
- As part of our Secure team you’ll work on test automation issues related to the Quality department, the Secure stage group, and the entire GitLab product. The work you’ll do will be transparent and open to the GitLab community.
- You’ll develop new tests and tools for our GitLab.com frontend, backend APIs and services, and low-level systems like geo-replication, CI/CD, and load balancing.
- You’ll identify and drive the adoption of best practices in code health, testing, testability, and maintainability.
- You’ll work with engineers to define and implement mechanisms to inject testing earlier into the software development process.
- You’ll configure automated tests to execute reliably and efficiently in our CI/CD environments.
- You’ll work 1:1 with a Product Manager, and with the wider product and development teams to understand how new features should be tested and to contribute to automated tests for these new features.
- You’ll work in an environment where we aim to have a 1:10 ratio of Software Engineer in Test to Engineers.
- As an SET, you'll have the opportunity to become and expert in security testing-related techniques and concerns.
You’ll spend your time collaborating with a cross-functional team who are embedded in our Secure stage group. You could work on projects where you’ll be tasked with moving our security products from their own standalone QA process to the GitLab QA review application, growing our test coverage across our security products, and implementing security testing processes.
- You’ve got at least a few years of experience developing in Ruby or working on a Ruby on Rails application.
- You’ve got some experience with security testing or an interest in the security field. To demonstrate this, you could be familiar with SQL injections, cross-site scripting, or URL manipulation. Alternatively, you may have been involved in OWASP or security hacking sessions. This list is by no means exhaustative, it's here to give you an insight into the type of securty-testing experience we can look for.
- You’ve got a working knowledge of Docker.
- You’ve worked with industry-standard CI tools like GitLab CI, Jenkins, Bamboo, or Circle CI for example.
- You’re comfortable with Selenium-based test automation tools like Capybara.
- You’ve got experience with Git and its command line.
- You’re interested in growing your knowledge and skills in Test Environment Provisioning and Configuring (Terraform, Ansible, Kubernetes, GCP / AWS).
- You know about clean code and the test pyramid, and champion these concepts.
- Our values of collaboration, results, efficiency, diversity, iteration, and transparency resonate with you.
- You'll thrive in an environment where self-learning and self-service is encouraged and instilled as a part of our culture.
We're aware the confidence gap exists so we want to encourage you to apply even if you do not match all of the requirements exactly. The above list is intended to show the kinds of experience and qualities we're looking for. It is not a complete list of pre-required skills.
The culture here at GitLab is something we’re incredibly proud of. Because GitLabbers are currently located in over 51 different countries, you’ll spend your time collaborating with kind, talented, and motivated colleagues from across the globe.
Some of the benefits you’ll be entitled to vary by the region or country you’re in. However, all GitLabbers are fully remote and receive a "no ask, must tell" paid-time-off policy, where we don’t count the number of days you take off annually. You can work incredibly flexible hours, enabled by our asynchronous approach to communication. We’ll also help you set up your home office environment, pay for your membership to a co-working space and contribute to the travel costs associated with meeting other GitLab team members across the world. Also, every year or so, we’ll invite you to our Contribute event.
Our hiring process for this Software Engineer in Test position typically follows six stages. The details of this process and the compensation for this role can be found at the bottom of our job family page.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Help us maintain Remotive! If this link is broken, please just click to report dead link!