Senior Mission Control Engineer - Security
1 month ago
Job type: Full-time
Category: Software Dev
Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development.
Fastly’s customers use our edge cloud platform to ensure concertgoers can buy tickets to the live events they love, travelers can book flights seamlessly and embark on their next great adventure, and sports fans can stream events in real time, across devices. They include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Spotify, Alaska Airlines, Hulu, The New York Times, and Ticketmaster.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Senior Mission Control Engineer - Security
The use of cloud security solutions enables customers to benefit from extra visibility across the world and expertise from a central team. By leveraging our growing security product suite, Senior Mission Control Engineer - Security will contribute real world security insights to Fastly and our customers as we address Internet-scale threats.
The Mission Control team at Fastly focuses on proactive monitoring and communication to our customers, ensuring both internal visibility and awareness of issues that may be impacting customers as well as proactively reaching out to provide support in response to issues we uncover. The Security Analyst role within this team focuses on delivering outstanding service to our customers and helping them with security insights. The team works with the rest of the security organization along with our operations and customer facing parts of the organization to deliver support solutions for security threats faced on the Internet today. As we expand our security product offerings, we seek expanded customer support capabilities.
What You'll Do
This senior role within the Fastly Mission Control Center will be responsible for monitoring and analyzing customer activity, with added emphasis on security functions, like DDoS attacks and WAF administration. Much of the Fastly technology leverages Varnish caching software and the VCL language to provide DDoS defense and WAF functionality. You will have the opportunity to work on some of the world’s most scalable distributed systems that handle around 2 million request per second, as well as the world-class engineers who developed these systems.
In this position, security analysts will be responsible for the following duties.
- Providing customers with outstanding & rapid reaction to real-time alerts regarding exploits, malware and other security attacks
- Providing security customers and partners with a consistently outstanding support experience
- Generating “after incidents” reports to Fastly customers
- Investigating new worldwide WAF alerts and provides clients with relevant information
- Creating signatures for new WAF attacking clients
- Working closely with the company marketing team for publishing threat research reports
- Monitor and troubleshoot customer performance and activity
- Coordinate with senior engineering teams during scheduled or emergency maintenance activity
- Work with Customer Support Engineers to understand customer issues and activity
- Create process documentation and training materials for Mission Control Engineers
- Contribute to the processes and policies that scale our organization as we grow
- Assist in requirements gathering and development of Mission Control Monitoring Systems and troubleshooting tools
- Provide guidance, mentoring, and training for new Mission Control and Customer Support Engineers
What We're Looking For
We value a variety of voices, so this is not a laundry list. You’ll be a good candidate if you have experience and/or interest in SOME of these:
- Excellence with HTTP, TLS, the Varnish cache and VCL
- Log analysis skills based on customer request and WAF logs, customer applications and external threat data
- Thorough knowledge of software such as WireShark, w3af, Vega, Burp Suite
- Excellent customer service skills
- Experience supporting corporate security customers in production environments
- Demonstrated experience in a security technical support role, working with relevant technologies
- Hands on technical experience in analyzing TCP/IP traffic, especially HTTP, TLS, and DNS traffic
- Hands on technical experience with and very knowledgeable of security operations, scripts reading and understanding, basic knowledge in different languages, including: JS, PHP, HTML, HTML5
- Ability to work with moderate supervision
- Analytical thinker with strong attention to detail
- Must be able to read, write and speak English fluently, including technical concepts and terminology. Fluency in additional languages is desirable.
- Junior to Mid-level network and systems engineering experience
- Experience with Unix/Linux command line interface and common system administration commands
- Familiarity with one or more programming languages
- Ability to debug connections using cURL, HTTP headers, ping, traceroute, MTR, and other network diagnostic tools
- Monitoring tools expertise (pingdom, nagios, Datadog, New Relic, Catchpoint, Conviva, Prometheus, Grafana)
- Deep understanding of cloud services: AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform, etc.
- Must be able to relay technical information to customers of varying skill levels
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply!
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Help us maintain Remotive! If this link is broken, please just click to report dead link!