(Senior) Backend Engineer - Python
2 weeks ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: Europe
Category: Software Development
Plentific is one of the fastest-growing property technology companies in the UK, with offices in Germany and Turkey. Our mission is to improve lives by making housing and property work better for everyone.
We empower landlords and property managers with a platform to manage their properties. We utilise great local trade talent to create more jobs, build community cohesion and provide better services than ever before.
Since our humble beginnings in 2013, we’ve achieved a lot at Plentific:
- We’re growing fast. We work with many of the biggest property providers in the UK.
- Dramatically improved outcomes for housing providers, speeding up service delivery fivefold and creating economic opportunities within their local communities.
- Set a new industry benchmark on responsive repairs by reducing typical time frames (20 days) to less than 4 days.
- Recognised as ‘Deal of the Year - Residential’ at the UK PropTech Awards 2018,
- Recognised as ‘Professional Services Partner’ at the UK Housing Awards 2019 and;
- Repairs and Maintenance Provider of the Year at the 24Housing Awards 2019.
- Entered partnerships with social enterprises such as Beam, with whom we help co-fund training for homeless people into trades jobs, and thus rebuild their lives.
2019 was an exciting year for Plentific - we were celebrated as leaders of transformative change - not just in our sector - but across business in the UK (UKBA Business Change/Transformation winner). Following a major funding round, we’re now expanding into the wider professional/commercial real estate sector in Europe, with plans to launch into the US multi-family market later this year.
We're a technology led business. We're proud to develop cutting-edge solutions for our customers, and that's only possible to do with a great team. Our culture is open. Empowering. Fast paced. If you're tenacious, passionate and driven, you'll fit right in.
The engineering team sits at the centre of everything we do at Plentific and is constantly tackling challenging problems, such as online payments, quoting, invoicing, booking, search / scoring algorithms, ETL, data pipelines, in-app messaging, real-time notifications and fraud prevention. Our backend engineers mostly work with Python and Django on an increasingly more service-oriented architecture. The rest of the tech stack include Django REST Framework, PostgreSQL, PostGIS, AWS, ES6, React.js, Alt.js, Node.js, Express, Amazon Redshift, Kubernetes, Docker, Redis, Celery, Pandas, Numpy, Scrapy, Git with Zenhub, Jenkins, Elasticsearch, Logstash and lots of raw SQL for analytics. We have a very large but clean code base as we put significant emphasis on design patterns, code readability, testability, maintainability and extendability.
We’re looking for an experienced Python/Django engineer to join the engineering team. You’ll be working alongside a highly technical and motivated team and report to the technical co-founder. You would be expected to apply fundamental engineering and mathematical skills to solve problems and overcome challenges, not just develop code. For people with the right mindset, this frame of mind provides an intellectually stimulating environment. Career progression is key here and there is the opportunity to move in to a Tech Lead position over time.
- Work with product owners, product managers, user interface designers and other software engineers to write technical documents that identify software project requirements
- Write well-formulated, testable and readable code using appropriate software design patterns
- Design, build and maintain APIs, microservices and data pipelines
- Design, normalise and optimise relational databases
- Write complex SQL queries to get data from the database
- Optimise APIs and database queries to improve speed of execution
- Participate in code reviews
- Debug and fix bugs across our applications
- Review, maintain and refactor existing code to meet the requirements for improved or new features
- Write technical documentation of code, algorithms and APIs
- Help in drafting of end-user manuals
- 5+ years experience (3+ years using Python and Django)
- Ability to work UK working hours (+/- 3 hours)
- Strong computer science fundamentals such as data structures, algorithms, discrete mathematics, software design patterns
- Experience in relational database management and SQL query optimisation
- Passion for writing clean, modular, well-commented, readable and reusable code
- Ability to think out of the box with a can-do attitude to get things done efficiently
- Excellent communication skills with ability to articulate technical concepts in plain English
- Experience in managing more junior team members
- Top academics (BSc, MSc or PhD) in computer science, engineering, computational physics, mathematics or another field with strong computational curriculum
As you can see, we have big plans and are eager to grow our team of dreamers and doers to achieve our vision of managing over 1 million properties through our platform across various countries. You can help us shape the future of property management. Here’s what we offer:
- A competitive compensation package
- Private health care including discounted gym membership
- Learning and development fund
- A flexible working environment + 23 days annual holiday
- A head office in London Bridge (less than 2 mins from Borough Market)
- An inherently diverse culture with over 11 nationalities and 21 languages spoken
- Food for thought: bottomless breakfast bar and drinks
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: Europe.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈