2 months ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: UTC+0 to UTC+12
Category: Software Development
We're a non-profit organisation on a mission to create modern, independent publishing technology to power the future of online journalism.
This is not a rocket-ship. You won't find any unicorn glitter or exponential curves around here, just a real company with a sustainable business which has been profitable from year 1 and has been growing healthily ever since. Currently our Annual Recurring Revenue is $2,500,000. We're very transparent about our mission and our metrics, you can read all about us.
Ghost is a full stack web application for running independent publications. It’s one of the most popular modern open source projects in the world, and is used in production by tens of thousands of websites and companies.
Chances are you've already visited and read sites which run on Ghost! Our users range from renowned publications like The Stanford Review and Harvard International Review - through to some of the world's largest organisations like Apple, Square, DuckDuckGo, Buffer, OpenAI, CloudFlare, Digital Ocean, Mozilla, Napster, Tinder, OkCupid and many, many more.
Node.js experience is important, because that's what Ghost is written in! Ember.js experience is a big advantage, too. Experience working with other parts of our stack is a bonus, particularly Bookshelf, Knex, Express and Handlebars. A good grasp of MySQL and SQLite3 are helpful too, but not essential. Any other experience with startups, SaaS, open source, distributed applications or remote work is also very valuable.
One of the major perks of engineering at Ghost is that almost every single thing you work on will be released as open source under the MIT license. So you’re not just writing code for us, you’re writing it for yourself and for everyone else - both now, and in the future. Instead of spending years doing work will eventually be locked away in a box labelled “intellectual property” — you'll get to write code which is open for anyone to use, including you in your own future projects!
People who are great at written communication and highly self-motivated tend to do best at Ghost. The majority of our team is made up of former founders, freelancers and self-starters who are confident and comfortable working independently and getting things done.
This role would be well suited to someone who is experienced at building/shipping products, looking for a big/interesting thing to work on with a great international team and a healthy work/life balance. Our culture at Ghost is one of calm, happy work. Not a frantic startup treadmill.
Maybe you’re overworked at a traditional tech company and uncomfortable with the level of resemblance your life bears to an episode of HBO’s Silicon Valley. Or maybe you’ve been solo bootstrapping products for years and you're ready to work on something bigger with a group of excited, likeminded people.
We value diversity of all types at Ghost and our team is made up of a kind, thoughtful group of people with a wide range of backgrounds. We have as many people who speak German as we do English, some of us are single, others are married, while others are parents. We actively try to find people with different perspectives and experiences to the ones we already have. Women and minorities of any description are especially encouraged to apply!
Well, we work remotely from all over the world! Most communication happens on Slack, with weekly meetings via Zoom. That used to be something remarkable that was worth mentioning, but hey — 2020 is weird.
The biggest perk of working at Ghost is that we have a small, talented team with a very large audience. This means you have the ability to have a huge impact on the product and the company, whilst also having interesting and challenging problems to work on. We believe deeply in what we do, and we're all in this to build something lasting, sustainable and positive.
- 💵 Competitive salary: We pay well at market rates reflecting both location and experience
- 🌍 Fully remote work: Work from anywhere in the world, or travel continuously if that's your thing. Everything we do is online. As long as you have wifi, you're all set.
- 💻 All the tech you need: We'll pay for whatever hardware and software you need to work and make sure you're regularly upgraded to the latest versions.
- 🏢 Office costs covered: Whether you prefer a home office or a co-working space, we'll help pay for it.
- 📚 Personal development: An annual budget for books, courses, conferences and travel expenses.
- ✈️ Twice annual international team retreats: Every 6 months we get the whole crew together for a week away. The last few trips have taken us to Dubai, Thailand, Austria & Egypt.
- 📅 3 day weekends, all year long: We close the office on the last Friday of every single month. Enjoy!
- 🏝 Unlimited paid vacation: Minimum 2 weeks per year, if you don't take it yourself, we kick you out of the office in December until the new year rolls around.
- 👶 Paid parental leave: When the time comes to welcome a new member of the family, we offer 3 months fully paid parental leave.
- 📈 Guaranteed pay-reviews: Everyone at Ghost receives annual pay reviews to update their salary for market rate changes and inflation.
- 🐶 Dog friendly office: Just kidding we literally don't have an office - but apparently tech companies think is an important detail to put on job descriptions and we didn't want to feel left out. So, um. Feel free to work with your dog. Cats are cool, too.
We’re profitable, AKA we have unlimited runway, and we have very healthy revenue growth. There's no investor pressure, time limit, or need to hire as many people as fast as possible to fill a fancy office. We want to keep the team small, automate as much as possible with robots, build great software, and enjoy our work. Those are the things we optimise for. If that sounds like a good fit for you, then we’d encourage you to get in touch.
All jobs at Ghost start with an application form, progressing to 1-2 short interviews, and finally a (paid) trial project assignment.
Rather than trying to guess if we'll work well together based on lengthy arbitrary interview questions or challenges - instead we invite promising candidates to work on a real life trial project with us and pay them for their time. Trial projects are typically 20-30 hours of work, and give us an opportunity to get to know each other prior to pursuing a full time offer. It’s also a chance for candidates to get to know the Ghost team and make sure that it’s a good fit for them.
The button below will take you to the application form for this position where you can tell us a little more about yourself. Or, if you know someone who would be a great fit - maybe send them a link to this page?
Please note: For this particular position at Ghost we are explicitly looking for someone who is based in a timezone between UTC+0 and UTC+12.
We generally get 500+ applications for each open position, so please take your time when filling out our application form. Women and minorities of any description are especially encouraged to apply!
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: UTC+0 to UTC+12.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈