Principal Software Engineer (L5)
3 weeks ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Category: Software Development
Because you belong at Twilio.
The Who, What, Why and Where
Twilio's Platform Engineering team is responsible for building the core compute, communications, and deployment systems used across all engineering teams at Twilio. We build the tools and platforms that allow Twilio Engineering teams to focus on their area of expertise, from the Twilio Console and Edge API down to the Voice, Video, and IoT core.
As Twilio continues its journey to empower our customers to build any communications experience across any channel, the Platform Engineering team ensures we can scale as the business grows. As stewards for how Twilio engineers run their applications, we sit at the intersection of application engineering, architecture, design, and operations -- the decisions we make and tools we build have a lasting impact on how Twilio's services delight our customers.
Twilio is looking for a seasoned Principal Software Engineer to join Platform Engineering and build the future of our Compute Platform as part of our Platform Engineering team in the United States. You may be a fit if:
- You are a software engineering leader that is passionate, empathetic and loves to teach others.
- You have a strong product and architectural vision and a demonstrated ability to communicate, advocate, and execute on that vision.
- You have demonstrated experience leading teams, mentoring junior engineers, and teaching proven practices that help teams grow.
- You have software engineering leadership experience in a large-scale, enterprise environment, leading teams which build and operate mission-critical PaaS or SaaS products.
- You’re ready to join a remote-friendly, remote-first team and work across timezones in North America.
- You have in-depth, hands-on experience building platforms at scale for containerized workloads, particularly leveraging Kubernetes, including cluster provisioning, operations, workload optimization, and workflow orchestration.
- Bachelor’s Degree in CS or demonstrated equivalent experience
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will live the Twilio Magic values:
- Be Inclusive & Empower Others: You will foster the growth of an inclusive, high-performing team. Outside your team, you will champion communities of practice, and can be an expert to lead and mentor when needed. How will you grow your team through teaching and nurturing welcoming, safe spaces where everyone can bring their authentic selves?
- Be An Owner & Be Bold: You will be the technical lead responsible and accountable for the well-being, delivery, and growth within the team. How will you develop a culture of personal and team growth that encourages your team members to work together to achieve great outcomes?
- No Shenanigans: Great technical leads consistently display good judgment. They are intellectually honest, transparent, and work together with others by fostering an authentic, inclusive environment. How will you serve as a model for fair decision-making within and beyond your team?
- Wear The Customer’s Shoes: Your team will ship great platform features that delight your customers. You will get to know your customers and walk in their shoes. How will you listen to your customers’ challenges, identify opportunities, craft solutions, and deliver the right value at the right time?
- Write It Down: You will communicate effectively to executives, to your peers, and internally among your team. Are you able to distill complex thoughts and concepts simply? Are you articulate and concise in written and verbal communication? Will you communicate with empathy and understanding even in stressful situations?
- Draw The Owl: You’ll forge the vision for how containers and Kubernetes make an impact at Twilio. There’s no instruction book, it’s yours to write. You’ll figure it out, ship it, and iterate. You’ll invent the future, but you won’t wing it.
Twilio is comprised of 150+ empowered autonomous engineering teams that are mini-startups each responsible for a piece of the larger Twilio puzzle. We serve the many teams that build a wide array of application shapes, sizes, and flavors for Twilio. Orchestration provides compute services that are a part of each and every Twilio request, API call, data access, and customer interaction. Containerization and Kubernetes are key to our short and long term vision to build a more resilient, flexible, and responsive engineering platform.
Twilio believes in the power of Platforms to create leverage and empower developers. Our internal platforms enable our own small teams of developers to accelerate their delivery by enabling them to focus on making world-class services that delight our customers.
Twilio is a company that is empowering the world’s developers with modern communication in order to build better applications. Twilio is truly unique; we are a company committed to your growth, your learning, your development, and your entire employee experience. We only win when our employees succeed and we're dedicated to helping you develop your strengths. We have a cultural foundation built on diversity, inclusion, and innovation and we want you and your ideas to thrive at Twilio.
This position is located wherever you are in the United States of America: you’ll be a fully remote employee that works from home full-time. You’ll periodically travel to our HQ in San Francisco, CA; travel time is expected to be less than 10% -- after your initial onboarding, about a week of travel per quarter.
Around the world, Twilio offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your loved ones. No matter where you are based, you will experience a company that believes in small teams for maximum impact; seeks well-rounded talent to ensure a full perspective on our customers’ experience, understands that this is a marathon, not a sprint; that continuously and purposefully builds an inclusive culture that empowers everyone to do their best work and be the best version of themselves.
Millions of developers around the world have used Twilio to unlock the magic of communications to improve any human experience. Twilio has democratized communications channels like voice, text, chat, video and email by virtualizing the world’s communications infrastructure through APIs that are simple enough for any developer to use, yet robust enough to power the world’s most demanding applications. By making communications a part of every software developer’s toolkit, Twilio is enabling innovators across every industry — from emerging leaders to the world’s largest organizations — to reinvent how companies engage with their customers.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈