Full Stack Software Engineer
1 week ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: ± 3 GMT
Category: Software Development
Birdie is a pioneer in social innovation. Our vision is to build a society in which we all age with confidence. With a rapidly growing ageing population, overcrowded care homes and social care services under water, we’re facing a social crisis. We ’re on a mission to reinvent care so that older generations can live longer, healthier and happier in their own homes, surrounded by their families and their communities. We use digital products, cutting-edge home connected devices and AI to empower the care community to deliver better, preventative care
Launched in 2017, Birdie is a team of 65 socially motivated care, health, product and tech entrepreneurs. We were nominated one of the top 10 UK startups to watch, the SME with the best culture in the UK and was in the 2020 Business Cloud Top 50 Start Up's list.
We are building the organisation of the future that will not only improve the lives of millions of older adults but also of our team members, our communities and will protect the environment. We demonstrate our values in everything we do. We care; we succeed together; we grow individually and strive for excellence; we are smart, brave and ambitious; and we nurture fun and a little quirkiness.
We need full stack developers to deliver on our product and build the best tech ever seen in the industry. You will get involved in all parts of the development process with full autonomy and surrounded by the best experts. We believe in smart, capable and innovative people that take the initiative and own their code from planning to deployment and maintenance. We own one of the most exciting tech stacks you will see, from various digital products (native apps, web apps) to the latest stack (react native, JS Node) and Internet-of-Things/health analytics. We’re in need of both very experienced developer as well as junior level developers. Join us now and let's improve millions of lives together!
- Plan and architect new features;
- Code for both backend and frontend;
- Design and create both unit and integration tests;
- Deploy your code to AWS;
- Analyse the performance of your code in production and re-architect for bottlenecks, using automated monitoring tools where appropriate;
- Execute in Agile development, in focused squads, using Agile methodologies and continuous improvement;
- Maintain your code as necessary with bug fixes and patches;
- Drive improvement across Birdie, collaborating where appropriate to continuously improve the products and services we offer.
- Are passionate about writing clean, concise, well-tested code, but you’re also a pragmatic problem-solver;
- Are someone who gets things done and is willing to step up, roll up your sleeves and take responsibility; Able to work efficiently with little supervision and with a high degree of self-motivation and accountability;
- You follow the best practices for the technologies you work with and understand why;
- You're ferociously curious, love learning new things and teaching others about them;
- You stay up to date with the latest technologies;
- You're obsessed with team efficiency, collaboration and focus;
- You can operate without ego to discuss, learn, grow, and help others do the same
- Have proficiency in React & React Native and related tech (Redux, Redux-saga, offline-first...) ;
- Have proficiency with NodeJS ;
- Have knowledge of Relational databases ;
- Have knowledge of Automated testing ;
- Have knowledge of common design patterns ;
- Have strong analytical and performance optimisation skills ;
- A deep capacity to get things done ;
- Are someone who is inspired by, and seeks to embody our values.
These are our ideal requirements, but we know some people are less likely to apply for the role unless they are 100% qualified. We promote a diverse, inclusive and empowering culture at Birdie, so please apply if you meet the majority of these competencies.
🙌 People are our core strength. We are social entrepreneurs, boasting an outstanding culture (employer net promotion score of 67) with strong values (B-Corp certified). We offer exceptional benefits and invest massively in our team's happiness, wellbeing and growth:
Competitive salary up to £83k - dependent on skills, experience and ambition; we provide discretionary share options
With Covid-19, we have decided to be a fully distributed team with Birdees working across the globe. As long as you're +-3h from GMT, you can work from anywhere you want. We organise quarterly in-person events and online socials to make sure you can meet up with peers. If you want to come to the office, you're most welcome of course!
🌱 L&D budget
Growth is key. You'll have a personal development budget to put towards books (e.g., free audible subscription), courses, trainings and conferences; continuous coaching within the team and with external experts
🌴 Base holiday
33 days base holiday (25 days + 8 bank holidays) + Christmas eve day off
👩⚕️ Private health insurance
Private health insurance with Vitality that covers many physical and mental health costs
☀️ Gym and wellbeing memberships
Gym membership and numerous other wellbeing perks and discounts via Vitality
🚲 Cycle to work scheme
Birdie will buy a bike up-front and you can salary sacrifice to pay-off over the next 12-36 months
👼🏽 Parental Leave
Highly favourable parental leave policy for any new parent (we believe we must address the gender gap pay but fostering equal parental leave policies regardless of gender)
👵🏻 Pension employer contribution
Birdie contributes to your pension
⛷ Frequent company socials, trips and meals
We organise many socials, quarterly retreats and annual trips (like our epic ski trips)
🤗 Exceptional culture
We see ourselves as social entrepreneurs shaping a new kind of organisation: caring, responsible yet fostering excellence. Read The Birdie Way to learn more.
Equal Opportunities Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and we strive to reduce unconscious bias throughout our hiring process. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
We endeavour to embrace diversity, and promote an inclusive environment for all Birdies, and actively work towards this with our Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
If you have any questions regarding the interview process, or if you need any reasonable adjustments to be made, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: ± 3 GMT.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈