Engineering Manager (Site Reliability Engineering)
2 weeks ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: EMEA Only
Category: Software Development
Join our team either remotely or in our HQ in Amsterdam. This role can be based in any location within the EMEA region.
MessageBird is transforming the communications landscape as one of the fastest-growing software companies in the world. Our cloud communications platform makes it possible for businesses to instantly connect with over 7 billion phones globally, allowing them to speak with their customers in the same ways they talk to their friends.
Our suite provides access to all major messaging channels, from SMS and Voice to WeChat, Messenger, Facebook, WhatsApp and more. We provide out-of-the-box solutions with our own applications like Inbox and Flow Builder, plus a robust set of APIs that simplify workflows and automation.
With over 20,000 customers — including some of the world’s biggest brands like Facebook, Deliveroo, Uber and WhatsApp — it’s likely that you’ve benefited from MessageBird’s omnichannel technology at some point. For small and mid-sized businesses, we also offer support and solutions through an Online Self-Serve (OSS) dashboard.
Our global team is a powerhouse of 350+ employees, who work across eight international offices. We’re excited that you’re here and interested to #jointhenest
How we work
We work fast, grow fast, and build fast. Life at MessageBird moves in fast-forward motion. We’re a team that focuses on making an impact — right from day one. We are go-getters, industry leaders, and dreamers. Risk takers. Roll-up-your-sleeves-and-make-it-happen kind of people. We thrive on transparency, and we value solution-minded attitudes.
We are all driven by one ethos: Get Shit Done. We love shaping things together and leveraging different perspectives, because that makes our products better. Our Birds are empowered with freedom and opportunity; in return, we expect honesty, courage, and agility. We own our work, and sometimes we fail. And then we get back up and cross the finish line — together as a team. Sound refreshing? We think so, too.
The role: Engineering Manager (Site Reliability Engineering)
You will be responsible for the Reliability teams of our customer facing products like our Dashboard, Flow Builder and Inbox. The Reliability Teams have ownership for non-functional aspects of a system, including availability, latency, performance, capacity planning etc. And will be responsible for mitigating high risks to achieve availability and performance service-level objectives.
As an independent and true leader, you communicate expectations clearly to all team members - soliciting and delivering individual feedback often - and you are a star in stakeholder management.
You are the type of person who has a higher overview but knows what’s happening on the ground. You're not expected to write code on a day-to-day basis. You do however, have a strong technical background and understand the applications and products you lead well enough to contribute to the architecture and product vision. You collect information about areas of technical debt, carry out cost/benefit analysis for resolving it, and communicate suggested timelines to the Product and Engineering teams in order to do so.
- Build high performance, high-velocity squads, measuring and iterating on processes as we grow and evolve as a business.
- Lead the team to improve code that is affecting product performance, functionality and speed.
- Own availability and performance for critical systems and build automation to prevent recurring problems
- Prioritize projects with a focus on improving system observability and ensure reliability teams stay on task.
- Set goals and directions for teams and team members, based on top-down goals & objectives and track progress against them.
- 6+ years of hands on technical experience in software engineering & Systems Engineering
- 2+ years of leadership experience; managing SRE or reliability engineering teams
- You understand what running systems in Production means, and believe that reliability is a key element of the customer experience customers You share on-call rotation with your team and respond to service incidents
- Good knowledge of Kubernetes, Prometheus and Terraform. Google Cloud Platform is a plus.
- You understand the difference between and are able to prioritize business, product and engineering needs.
- You work in a structured way, have eye for detail and can explain your ideas in clear form
- You have a proactive attitude, are a team player, who is passionate about helping others to grow and develop themselves
- Profound experience in setting inspirational OKRs (yearly and quarterly)
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Top-notch work equipment (including Bose headphones!)
- MessageBird swag to keep you well-dressed
- WFH office set-up allowance to make sure you have all you need to “get shit done” in an ergonomically-friendly manner
- The occasional (virtual) company-wide and team events
- A team of (fast-)forward-thinking, talented and fun colleagues from more than 50 countries!
MessageBird is an equal opportunity employer. If you think you’re a match for this role and can bring some great skills to the MessageBird team, please apply! We’re excited to get to know you.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: EMEA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈