Engineering Manager - Experiences
1 month ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Category: Software Development
Harvest is an independent software company that makes tools to help businesses run more smoothly. We believe that businesses only succeed by using their time intentionally. Our products support our customers through time tracking, reporting, and forecasting features.
Harvest started in 2006 as a team of three and has grown to today’s current team of almost 60 with Harvesters working from around the globe. We’ve worked as a remote team since the beginning and we continue to hire the right people for the job no matter where they call home.
We also strive to create a workplace culture where everyone feels valued, included, and heard. One important aspect of this is continuing to create spaces for diverse life experiences and work histories. If you are a member of a group that is historically underrepresented and disadvantaged in tech, business, and society in general, we want to meet you and we encourage you to apply.
Why We’re Hiring
The Harvest Engineering Department currently consists of three teams: Developers, Operations, and QA. The 10 Developers work in cycles on rotating teams and at the moment, all report directly to our Head of Engineering. As this team continues to grow, we will create teams within Development that each have a more specific focus on our ecosystem and the experiences we create for our customers.
We are currently looking for an Engineering Manager to join us and lead the Experiences team at Harvest.
Engineering Manager Responsibilities
As an Engineering Manager, you will help build and grow the Experiences team as the latest team within Harvest Engineering. The Experiences team will focus on evolving our Web, mobile and desktop applications. Our goal is to provide a clean, performant and engaging experience to all our customers no matter which (or how many) devices they prefer to use.
What You’ll Do
- Recruit, hire, retain and lead a highly motivated engineering team.
- Cultivate a learning organization with a bias towards shipping.
- Support the engineers reporting into you by meeting with them regularly, providing timely feedback and working with them on growing their skills and helping them reach their career goals.
- Collaborate with peers in Product, QA and Operations to ensure quality delivery of features.
- Own the technical roadmap for our Web, mobile and desktop applications.
- Succinctly communicate progress regarding active projects to the engineering leadership team, internal partner teams and the company at large.
Who You Are
- You are an empathetic technical leader who ideally is deeply interested in creating engaging and adaptive user experiences.
- You have worked as a remote employee before and preferably as a manager.
- You value a distributed and diverse work culture. Working side-by-side with co-workers from around the world is something you cherish.
What You’ve Done
- 3+ years experience as an Engineering Manager or as a technical lead for a team of 4 or more.
- Strong project, process and people management skills.
- Able to work cross-functionally on and with a distributed team.
- Led teams that have built and shipped Web and mobile Software as a Service (SaaS) applications in either the consumer or business-to-business (B2B) space.
- Experience using and collaborating on design systems.
- Working knowledge of modern frontend engineering techniques, particularly with respect to component-based approaches (e.g. React) to user experience.
- Familiarity with cross-platform development tools such as React Native and Electron is a huge plus.
When You Apply
In your cover letter, please include responses to the following:
- Why did you decide to apply to Harvest specifically?
- What unique work experiences or professional perspectives would you bring to the team?
- Do you believe managing a distributed team requires a different approach than managing a team in-person?
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈