1 week ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Category: Software Development
Openly is one of the fastest-growing Insurtechs in the country, building a next-generation insurance company from the ground up. We've launched our homeowners product with great success in five states and are looking to expand into twenty-five states by the end of 2021. We're paying close attention to the way customers want insurance to work, and questioning the way things have been done in this industry for over a hundred years - everything from how insurance is quoted and sold, to the frustrating back-end operations that waste money. Insurance is filled with interesting engineering problems that need a fresh perspective. You can watch our Techstars 2018 Demo Day video to learn more about what we've built.
This isn't something we've undertaken on a whim - the founding team brings executive-level experience from Liberty Mutual Insurance and Goldman Sachs, with mastery in actuarial science, computer engineering, math, and finance (MIT, Duke, and the University of Michigan). The rest of the team are key early hires who are experts in their respective fields of statistics, actuarial science, and engineering.
We're backed by a select group of deeply knowledgeable and dedicated investors. Our seed round was led by Gradient Ventures (Google's AI fund) and Obvious Ventures, a socially-minded top-tier VC behind companies like Beyond Meat and Medium, led our recent Series A.
Openly is hiring an Engineering Manager whose priority will be career development of the software engineers on their team. This position reports to the VP of Engineering and will be responsible for ensuring sustained hiring of the highest quality talent, organizational design and alignment with peer/partner teams within and outside engineering, and robust processes for efficient execution against product strategy.
- Manage, support, and mentor a diverse group of engineers
- Be responsible for continuously improving the productivity of your team
- Support your team during in-depth technical planning discussions with engineers, product, and design; empower them to make effective decisions
- Remove roadblocks for your team and escalate when you need additional context or direction
- Promote a culture of feedback and transparent communication
- Partner closely with leadership, HR, and Recruiting to attract, recruit, and retain diverse engineers
- Mentor the professional development of each direct report through personal and performance management.
- Be an ambitious source of engineering talent and be comfortable closing candidates
- Give engineers the tools, confidence, and motivation to make decisions independently that lead to the recognition of your engineers and not just yourself.
- Experience as an engineering manager or technical lead who has coached and mentored other engineers
- Experience leading a group of diverse, smart, and driven engineers while balancing personnel challenges with business requirements.
- A successful engineering manager will communicate to build trust, take active roles in shaping the future of Openly's engineering while embodying our core values.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 5+ years of software engineering experience and 3+ years of people management
- Ability to collaborate with multiple stakeholders to maximize our resources
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Passion for making progress in D&I
- Experience or familiarity with Agile
- Analytical and possess excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to think strategically and execute methodically.
- Competitive salary based on experience and equity in a fast-growing startup
- Competitive benefits packages include medical, dental, vision, STD, LTD, 401(k) contributions, flexible spending accounts, and work from home stipends
- Generous and fully company-paid parental leave policy
- “Work-from-anywhere” company that has fully embraced remote working, even before COVID restrictions
- Flexible PTO
- Fun, high energy startup environment
- Training, coaching, and development with an eye towards upward growth and mobility within roles at a new, growing insurtech firm
Openly is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristics protected under applicable law. Openly is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Openly, will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈