Director of Engineering
1 month ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Category: Software Development
Join us as we work together to solve some of the most interesting and challenging engineering problems in the WordPress space through our partnerships with major publishers and technology companies.
The Director of Engineering is responsible for leading and developing our engineering team, guiding them to reliably deliver quality software and great client experiences, with supportive systems and a growth-oriented culture and systems. This role reports directly to the CTO.
- Growing strong engineering leaders and engineers
- Managing engineering teams
- Championing engineering documentation, processes, and tooling
- Assisting with client account management
- Supporting our engineering recruiting and scheduling
- Champion learning & development opportunities for our engineering team
- Cultivate a culture of knowledge sharing, mentoring, and professional growth
- Coach our engineering team on personal effectiveness, great teamwork, and wise leadership
- Guide the development of appropriately broad skill/knowledge representation across the team (distributed) and for individual team members (multi-skilled)
- Facilitate our engineering contribution to open source software
- Guide the selection of engineers for Delivery teams
- Help ensure engineering teams are set up for success on projects
- Provide proactive support to engineering leaders to help ensure project success and coach to resolution when they escalate problems for support
- Maintain focus on coaching and empowering teams with the support and tools they need to solve their own problems well and grow their problem-solving abilities
- Rely on support from CTO and Principal Engineers when engineering teams encounter technical problems that relatively high-level coaching cannot resolve satisfactorily
- Facilitate (and complete as necessary) engineering estimations (velocity-based) in collaboration with Head of Delivery to support the sales process and set teams up for success
- Support continuing development and documentation of our engineering best practices, processes, and tooling for delivery
- Support Head of Delivery and Sales Team in creating a great client experience and loyalty and resolving client-experience issues
- Coordinate the continuing development of our code challenges, technical interview approach, and overall evaluation of engineers
- Maintain a WordPress and OSS community presence and visibility, growing our reputation as experts and as a desirable place to work, making positive connections with future team members
- Be a supportive team member and leader
- Be candid and respectful
- Maintain a growth mindset
This is a management-level role with an expected salary range of USD $125,000 to $150,000, profit sharing, paid leave and other benefits.
You’ll be joining a remote-first, distributed team of over 50 people hailing from 6 continents, including Project Managers, Product Owners, Architects & Engineers, Quality Analysts, UX Architects & Designers. Enjoy benefits including:
- Trust and support from your colleagues (we look out for each other as we work towards a shared purpose)
- The rewards of a highly collaborative culture (we’re a team, not a working group)
- The joys of remote work: schedule flexibility, skip the commute, more time for family and interests outside of work
- The chance to play an important part in helping XWP achieve its full potential and make a meaningful difference for our clients, team members, and the WordPress community
XWP is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all team members.
- A servant-leadership philosophy and approach
- 5+ years experience managing engineering teams of 25+ people
- Strong bias towards enabling and empowering others to solve problems well
- Significant experience developing effective engineering leaders
- Significant experience coaching and mentoring engineers
- Significant experience hiring engineers (interviewing, evaluating, selling)
- Significant experience with agile software development methodologies
- Proven success developing scalable engineering teams (culture, structures, processes, documentation)
- Strong background in software engineering and architecture
- Strong active listening skills, empathy, and ability to cultivate psychological safety
- Highly organized, motivated, and execution-oriented
- Humble and adaptive, yet confident and willing and able to build support for what matters
- Demonstrated ability for continuous learning, creativity, and problem solving
- Ability to work effectively and dependably in a remote position
- A history of active participation in the open source software community
- A history of active participation in the WordPress community
- Experience working in smaller organizations (<250 people)
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈