2 weeks ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: UK Only
Category: Software Development
If you're looking for a unique opportunity to establish an Engineering organization with the oversight to design, implement, and lead a group responsible for delivering on Payroc's growth and industry-changing strategic objectives - read on.
At Payroc, we're building the next generation of capabilities that powers our merchant-first ecosystem. The radical and responsible delivery of value is our mandate. We believe that focused and empowered teams can do great things. You'll find that we're a curious, driven, and pragmatic bunch who believe in outcomes over outputs, and we're looking for like-minded individuals to join us on our journey.
What we're obsessive about:
- Small teams, big things: We'll convey the outcomes our merchants require, provide you with the support and tools to succeed, and then we let you work your magic, with no needless processes to get in your way.
- Develop, grow, thrive: We promote a philosophy where you can develop and grow as an individual and team. We encourage you to approach problems in unique ways, try new techniques, learn from your colleagues, and master your craft.
- Real people, real problems: We develop solutions to solve real-world challenges faced by our merchants. Our Team Members collaborate to build the right things the right way. We are curious about how things work, and we believe that sharing ideas and insights leads to better, more innovative products.
As Director of Engineering, you'll work closely with our leadership team to build a world-class engineering group. You'll be a "player-coach," focused on attracting and developing engineering talent, but also staying hands-on in the technology to oversee the development of an outstanding product and customer experience.
The successful candidate will be a seasoned technology executive able to lead engineering teams delivering solutions in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. You'll have a proven track record building platforms and scaling engineering organizations while executing critical programs.
Working cross-functionally with a broad set of partners, you will apply keen technical understanding, appreciation for simplicity, quality, and critical thinking. Your leadership will be instrumental in driving organizational change as we move the team to a more agile development framework that enables faster time to value across our product portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Hire, mentor, develop, and retain top-notch engineering talent.
- Create effective full-stack software development teams focused on the nimble delivery of value for our customers.
- Inspired by industry best practices and sound principals, drive constant innovation through Architecture, Database, Engineering, and DevOps teams.
- With a focus on pragmatism and simplicity, understand the trade-offs between performance, scale, and business value.
- Build a collaborative, transparent culture of trust where team members are empowered and inspired to do their best work and drive learning and employee advancement.
- Collaborate closely with the executive team as well as cross-functional teams to deliver great products and solve customer problems as needed.
- Support the product team and planning process to deliver great products and ensure all deadlines and needs of the business are being met.
- Maintain and improve agile processes collaboratively with the teams, and enable new development techniques or methods to reduce complexity, promote quality, and increase velocity.
- Help engineers grow in their career paths, learning new technologies, and tackling increasingly challenging projects.
- Drive efficiency in your teams by eliminating blocks and focusing efforts on tooling, continuous integration/delivery, and maintainable automation testing.
- Foster a culture of operational excellence in your teams through real-time monitoring and alerting.
- Create and support a culture of learning and continuous improvement.
- Able to coordinate the development of cross-team features between engineering teams, product managers and our technical operations team.
- An interest in making an impact on the way money moves between people globally.
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 5+ years of experience in software development management.
- 1+ years as a Director of Engineering or above whose span of control is at or above 10 engineers.
- A strong background in object-oriented programming in a language such as Java, C#, Objective-C or C++.
- Hands on experience resolving performance and scalability issues of SaaS-based applications.
- Contributed to the establishment of Software Configuration Management practices.
- Familiar with diverse, complex problems and adept at devising reasonable solutions or ample alternatives.
- Experience mentoring new managers in building productive engineering teams.
- Establishment and management of DevOps teams.
- Experience with designing, building, and deploying secure, scalable services in the SaaS environments.
- Strong fluency in Agile software practices.
- Tolerant of high degrees of ambiguity, and good at resolving uncertainty and setting direction. Willing to backtrack, seek multiple solutions, and experiment to validate approaches.
- Creative, Investigative, Innovative, Insightful, and able to make technical leaps, finding novel solutions.
- Excellent communication skills, able to listen to and share ideas, effectively present concepts, and work with remote teams.
- Capable and comfortable working with high-level management.
- Ability to work independently towards goals.
- Excellent work ethic and the ability to be a productive and reliable team member.
- Other duties as assigned.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: UK Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈