2 weeks ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: US ideal
Salary: $136,000 - $149,000
Category: Software Development
As a member of our Ops team, you will be at the heart of nearly every application, tool, and service at Help Scout. The work you do everyday will reflect the team mission: Ensure uptime and security across all of our applications while developing and supporting tools to enable developer bliss.
To help us with our mission, we are seeking an experienced Ops Engineer to join our team. You will have a direct impact on Help Scout’s success while helping more than 12,000 businesses around the world. While customers love our product, it means nothing if they can't access our services with great performance.
- AWS, Linux (Ubuntu/CentOS), Ansible, Git/Github, RabbitMQ, AWS Aurora MySQL & PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis, Drone, Docker/Compose, Amazon ECS, New Relic, Sensu, PagerDuty, Ruby, Go, Python, Java, and PHP.
- Ideally, we are looking to add a team member in the North or South American timezones.
- You’ll be working on a team of six and in collaboration with our software developers to build, deploy, secure, manage, and optimize highly-available, fault-tolerant, and horizontally scalable systems in AWS.
- We are in the midst of a DevOps transformation, enabling developers to own all aspects of their projects, while we serve as trusted advisors, making sure we create as much opportunity for developer autonomy as we can while maintaining security and stability of our infrastructure.
- Our engineering teams communicate mostly via Slack and are committed to remote, agile development. When your code is ready, you’ll create and send a pull request with test cases and tag your team for review.
- We are investing heavily in continuous integration and delivery and strive to uphold immutable infrastructure standards.
- You’ll work autonomously for the most part and we trust you to get work done when/where you can be productive.
- In order to ensure excellent service to our customers, you will be part of our rotating on-call team.
- You will periodically partner with our Talent team to help us hire our future team members.
- Salary: We have an internal transparent salary matrix for each team. Read more about how we approach compensation here! For this role, we have $136,000 to 149,000 USD slated in the budget.
- The 6-week rotation follows this format: 1 week on backup on-call (which rarely sees much action), 1 week of being on-call, followed by a 4 week hiatus from on-call.
- Our on-call shift is not particularly wearisome, but as a thank you for carrying the weight for the week, the day following your shift is a free day off if you want to take it. We want you happy, healthy, and well-rested!
- You have a growth mindset, a passion for learning, and are willing to lean into discomfort for the good of our customers and product.
- You became an engineer because you like building systems, tools or products that help people.
- You write code and scripts that other engineers can easily read and understand and you welcome reviews and feedback from your peers. You are comfortable writing tests and you thoroughly verify your work before you deploy.
- You’re a great communicator and have an excellent command of written and spoken English. As a remote company, we rely on clear communication for collaboration and execution.
- You believe remote teams are the future of work, or are at least excited about the idea. You have experience working with remote teams or can adjust your work and time-management style to be remote-friendly.
- You are helpful and empathetic and care about building on our company culture that embraces these qualities.
- You have a deep understanding of what it takes to run SaaS at scale and have a solid understanding of Linux systems and networking; from kernel to shell, system libraries, file systems and client-server protocols.
- You are proficient and comfortable in the AWS ecosystem.
- You are adept at automating service and infrastructure configuration via industry standard tools (E.g. Ansible, Terraform).
- You have experience building continuous deployment and testing tools. (Docker, ECS, EKS, Kubernetes)
- You design and build systems that work well and fail gracefully.
- Security engineering is near and dear to your heart; you build with and advocate for a security mindset when implementing new features and infrastructure.
- You question why. Why do we do it this way? Why can't developers own this? How can we make that happen safely?
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: US ideal.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈