1 week ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: UK Only
Category: Software Development
We’re Chip. We’re here to make saving effortless, easy and fun. Our mission is to build the best savings app in the world.
We help people save up money automatically. In fact, we’ve automatically saved more than £150 million for tens of thousands of our savers already.
We’ve done all this by using AI, Open Banking and a disruptive approach to traditional banking.
Now, we’re helping people get better returns automatically, too.
You can open a market leading savings account in a couple of taps in Chip, as well as deposit, track and withdraw your money.
As you sit back, save and earn interest, we’ll keep going to the banks on your behalf to negotiate better rates.
This was a service that used to only be available to the super-rich, but we've done some clever things to pool Chip savers' money, so we can negotiate with banks like you're a millionaire.
Sounds pretty good, eh? And we’re just getting started.
Chip is being built by a fast-growing team of designers, developers, customer service professionals, marketers, banking experts, and entrepreneurs, with the backing of more than 11,000 investors and a huge community of Chip savers.
We’re growing fast, and we have some very exciting plans. So we need Backend Engineers to help us make them happen.
We are looking for talented and dedicated Backend Engineers to help us build out a world beating feature set. Joining our engineering team you’ll be responsible for developing new features and services to help us continue to deliver a great product to our customers that helps our company and their money grow.
What you can expect to be doing:
You will be working with a team to deliver new API capabilities that provide features for Chips customers intended to grow our user base and retain them in the long run. This will be achieved by working on the development of new microservices that will be deployed across our AWS estate. A strong interest in mentoring and guiding fellow engineers will you regularly involved in show & tell sessions with the goal of helping enable not just the engineers but the whole company in understanding what it is to be an engineer at Chip.
What we’re looking for:
- Programming language experience in PHP with an interest to learn GO
- Experience with a PHP framework such as Laravel or symfony
- Some knowledge of design patterns (bus, repository, decorator, etc)
- An understanding of mutable vs immutable databases
- Experience with manipulating data structures and performing performance audits of codebase and database.
- Development locally with Containers (Docker) through to production.
- Strong understanding of branching strategies and where best to use them.
- An understanding of Microservice architecture and how to develop micro services.
What we’re really looking for: ✍️
Although we’re in the financial space, and under the scrutiny that comes with it, the current engineering team works well together, and even sometimes with a smile. We’re sure you’ve got the technical skills, otherwise you would have stopped reading by now, so let us be clear in what will make us want to work with you.
We want a real person, with interests outside of code, to join our work family. You could be a dancer, a gamer, a musician, a parent, a hockey fan, or even that one person that still writes Twilight fan-fiction. Doesn’t matter to us. At the interview stages will be looking for empathy, eq, fun stories, and ability to smile even when things are tough. Code monkeys need not apply.
- £50,000 - £55,000 per annum dependant on experience
- Share option scheme.
- Workplace pension scheme (Employer: 3% / Employee: 4% / Tax Relief: 1% / Total: 8%)
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity
- Flexible working arrangements
- Unlimited holiday (28 days contracted inc bank holidays) ✈️
- Free Classpass membership or gym membership
- MacBook Pro or similar
- Based in the heart of Chancery Lane
- Opportunity to have a huge impact on our product while fast-tracking your knowledge, responsibility and skills in a high growth fintech startup.
Our Interview process: 📖
- Phone Screen with someone from our Talent team
- Take home technical test
- Video interview with the squad lead
- Final Interview with HR & Product Manager
Note to Agencies
Chip does not accept unsolicited CVs from recruiters or employment agencies in response to any of our live roles on our career page. Chip will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee relating to these unsolicited CVs. Chip explicitly reserves the right to hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited CVs, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of Chip.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: UK Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈