4 weeks ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Abstract is a design workflow platform for teams to version, manage, and collaborate. Our company’s mission is to dramatically improve the productivity, transparency, and impact of Design. Since launching in July 2017, over 7,000 design teams across 75 countries have adopted Abstract, including teams from DocuSign, Instacart, Microsoft, Pandora, Wayfair, Wix, Cisco, Zendesk, and more.
At Abstract, we believe in a future where all companies recognize that empowering people to be creative unlocks productivity. We seek to build a world where companies see their people's expertise, where systems default to collaboration, and where curiosity and experimentation flourish.
We strive to be living examples of our values and first principles. We do hard things, make our own weather, and question the status quo. When we ship, we ship together. We value grit, inclusion, craft, curiosity, and iteration, just to name a few. And we embrace diversity and respect our differences because we know different minds see more parts.
If you thrive in a fast paced environment where you can make a big impact on our product and our company culture, we want to hear from you.
Abstract is a remote-first company (US-based only at this time).
About the Role:
Abstract is looking for a talented Quality Assurance Engineer to join our growing QA team. In this role, you will help the team diligently identify and remediate any new defects to help maintain and improve our product quality. You will collaborate closely with Engineers, Support Specialists, Product Managers, and Engineering Managers to ensure that specifications that are clearly articulated have been met.
Our Engineering team uses Jira for issue tracking, and a mix of Confluence, Dropbox Paper, and Google Docs for documentation and collaboration. Our engineers use GitHub, Circle CI, and Docker for development and deployment. The QA team uses Zephyr to document manual tests and Node.js/Mocha/WebdriverIO/CircleCI for integrated functional automated testing. Familiarity with any of these tools will help you be successful in this role.
What you’ll do:
In a typical week as a QA Engineer, you will:
- Be a passionate evangelist for high-quality standards in every phase of the development process
- Find, isolate, document, and track defects in our product using Atlassian Jira.
- Validate fixes provided by engineers. Success is measured by a reduction in the number of bugs getting to production.
- Help design, execute, and maintain automated and manual tests to improve software quality
- Author and maintain QA documentation, and help to enforce as needed
- Join the rest of the QA team in leading periodic events aimed at identifying and fixing bugs in product release candidates
- Ensure that engineers meet or exceed performance standards through A/B performance evaluation
- Participate in sprint planning and other meetings as necessary
What you’ll bring:
Practical skills you'll need for success:
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- 2 - 3 years of experience with quality assurance methodologies and objectives
- 1 - 2 years of functional automation experience
- An understanding that a great QA Engineer works collaboratively with Engineering, Product, and Support teams
- A product-centric mindset and the ability to ask questions in order to improve the product, not only in its technical implementation but also in how well it is serving the needs of our customers
- You have a strong reputation for accountability - your colleagues know they can rely on you
- Detail-oriented, investigative, and excellent problem-solving skills
- Curious and eager to learn and understand
- You can clearly discuss and explain complex technical topics
- When things inevitably break, you eagerly jump in to diagnose the issues
- Experience working in a quality assurance capacity
Bonus points if you have:
- Expertise in one or more functional automation testing platforms (Selenium, Webdriver IO, etc.)
- Experience with Node.js
- Integrated testing, specifically using CircleCI and Docker
- Worked on small teams and are comfortable wearing multiple hats every single day
- Worked on a remote-first team, and understand the benefits and challenges it brings.
High Level Responsibility Overview:
Ongoing/ special projects:
- Reproduce bug reports, logging reproduction steps and relevant environmental information
- Test new work delivered by engineers to ensure it meets acceptance criteria, addresses specifications, and introduces no new regression bugs
- Estimate QA effort as part of squads’ sprint planning
- Document QA processes and procedures
Expectations during first 90 days:
- Familiarize yourself with QA tooling (Jira, CircleCI, GitHub)
- Learn to use the Abstract product with Sketch, Adobe XD, and Figma.
- Become familiar with agile development processes and rituals, and understand QA’s place in Abstract’s Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Participate in testing efforts for bug features and fixes, which may include manual test creation/execution
- Participating in regularly-scheduled QA team meetings.
- Learn the names and assignments of all EMs, PMs, Designers, and Engineers.
- Become familiar with creating and maintaining automated tests
At Abstract, we offer resources that emphasize personal and familial wellbeing to all full-time employees. We provide 99% healthcare coverage, as well as dental, vision, and life insurance options. We offer 10 weeks parental leave, unlimited paid-time off, a health care FSA, and flexible working arrangements. Additional perks include dependent care, a budget to set up your home office, and a monthly wellness and internet stipend.
To help employees plan for the future, we offer competitive pay, access to financial services, and a 401(k).
We are a distributed team and we are able to offer US-based remote employment. We offer travel opportunities for company meetings, team meet-ups, and the occasional conference.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis; Elastic Projects will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
As part of our security protocols, offers are contingent on the successful completion of a background check.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈