1 week ago
Job type: Part-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Let's make one thing crystal clear: you don't have to be a career Proofreader or Copyeditor to excel in this role.
As QA Editor, you'll be the glue between the author and the QA team. You'll have your eyes on manuscripts from some of the world's top thought leaders, business strategists, celebrities, and all around amazing people. Every time a manuscript changes hands throughout the QA process, it will come back to you first so that you can ensure it is correctly formatted and ready for the next steps. You'll be juggling lots of different types of tasks every day, including (but not limited to):
- Driving the QA process for award-winning authors
- Formatting manuscripts in Word
- Reviewing and implementing proofreader, copyeditor, and author edits
- Monitoring the quality of work within Scribe's QA team
- Finalizing manuscripts for layout to ensure consistency and quality
In this role, impeccable attention to detail is key. At any given time you will be the QA Editor on multiple projects at once. You'll need to manage your time effectively and balance deadlines for each manuscript. We're also relying on you to review the work of our Copyeditors and Proofreaders, which means you'll need a keen eye for identifying errors.
If you can nail that, you're probably pretty awesome, which brings us to an important question:
We're Scribe Media, and our mission is to help everyone on earth write, publish and market their book.
The problem is that writing and publishing books are, for most people, a painful and difficult process, loaded with uncertainty and aggravation. Our goal is to make it as simple as possible, so that as many people as possible can do it.
We have multiple ways we help people do this. We can edit and publish an already written manuscript (Scribe Publishing), or we can help people write their book using a structured process with our guidance (Scribe Guided Author), or we can do a structured interview process that gets the book out of them in their words and their voice (Scribe Professional).
And if you can't afford our services, that's fine. We give away all of our information for free. Seriously, it's called Scribe Book School, and it's better than any paid course on the internet.
You can see some press about us here.
And you can see some of the books we've already published here.
Our company was started because a frustrated entrepreneur wanted to put all of her incredible knowledge and ideas into a book, but didn't have the time to write it or the patience to deal with the frustrating publishing process. So we solved her problem. The origin story is here.
Her book became an amazing success, and we realized the world was full of these people--smart people who should write a book, but don't, because the process is so painful.
These people want to write books, but don't have the time or desire to do it the old way, and that's why Scribe exists: we help people turn their ideas into books that both cement their legacy and impact the world.
Our process has worked for over 1500 authors in six years, and we're growing fast. Our ultimate goal is to help everyone on earth write and publish a book.
If we do that, we'll help create many thousands of books that would never have otherwise existed, changing the lives of millions of people. That's really exciting to us.
But if you really want to see why we do this...just watch this video of an author we worked with, Philip McKernan.
We're not going to try to pitch you a load of corporate doublespeak bullshit about how great we are. Instead, we'll just show you proof.
These are all real tribe members, speaking openly and honestly about all aspects of what it's like to be part of this tribe:
You can also watch The Power of Vulnerability at Work, for an excellent glimpse into how much we care about each other as people, and how we approach our relationships.
You can see a bunch more videos here, on our YouTube Channel.
This is the operating system for our tribe: The Scribe Culture Bible.
We are consistently ranked the #1 Best Place To Work in Austin.
Also, Entrepreneur Magazine said we have the #1 company culture in America.
Type of Employment
Necessary Skills & Qualifications
Here is the list of skills we believe are necessary for this career.
- Organized and Detail-Oriented: This simply can't be overstated. You must be able to stay organized and have sharp attention to detail. Carefully prioritizing tasks and effectively managing your time are necessary to best serve our authors' QA experiences. In fact, impeccable attention to detail is so important, on the application when it asks you “what is your favorite animal” we want you to put “attention to detail is my middle name.”
- Tech-Fluent: We're looking for a whiz with Microsoft Word. Formatting citations and references? Check. Applying templates? Check. Reviewing comments and tracked changes? Double check. Seriously, if you are not an expert with Microsoft Word, do not apply.
- Problem Solver: We expect you to be self-sufficient; if you do end up stumped by something in Word, you should feel comfortable Googling it and teaching yourself. You'll also be juggling multiple projects at once and need to be capable of rolling with the punches and course-correcting if things go wrong.
- Optimism: We believe that optimism is a super power. If you have a great attitude, strong resilience, and your default state is in a good mood, that is a skill.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive Pay: $35/hour
- Be Part of a Tribe: This role is intended to begin as part time, but there is real potential to move to full time, given you want this and you do a great job. We see ourselves as a tribe of people who are working hard together to accomplish a specific mission (help everyone on earth write, publish and market their book), in service of a larger purpose (help people share their story and leave a legacy of impact on others). We also have a pretty cool set of principles that we live by as a tribe, you should check it out, because this is the operating system for our tribe.
- Freedom: You can work from anywhere—we don't care. We only care that you have reliable phone and internet connections and that you do your job well.
- Fun & Fast-Paced Work: We don't have boring days. Some are hectic, some are hard, some are incredibly rewarding...but they are never boring and never exactly the same. That's what happens when you're solving real problems for people.
- Work with Interesting People: Past authors include major company CEOs, famous entrepreneurs, professional athletes, and people with amazing personal stories.
At Scribe, we don't just accept differences — we support them, celebrate them, and as a company, we thrive on them. Scribe is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and we actively look for and hire people who bring new perspectives and experiences to our tribe.
Everyone has a story to share. Our CEO, JeVon “JT McCormick”, is just one Tribe Member example.
Complete the application by clicking on the "Apply To Position" button. Applications will remain open until we find the perfect person for this role.
You can expect to hear back from us either way within 15 business days. To make sure we're able to give your application the careful attention and time it deserves, please do not follow up with us unless you don't hear back from us by then.
Please, no phone calls. Due to the number of applicants we typically receive for our career openings, we are not able to do phone interviews until later stages of the hiring process. All applicants must submit an application through our portal. Scribe will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Note: If you're on an external job site, we encourage you to apply directly from our career portal at https://scribe.breezy.hr/
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈