Nava is at the forefront of reimagining how our government serves its people, and we’re looking for a Senior Product Manager to drive our vision forward.
You'll help us execute on our mission of reimagining the digital services our government provides. Working directly with government and across Nava’s engineering, design, and business teams, you’ll create experiences that improve the lives of millions of Americans. You care deeply about end users, and are passionate about crafting simple and usable solutions.
You'll provide strategic guidance, mentorship and leadership to a team of product managers in order to execute on our mission. You'll be responsible for setting direction, removing obstacles and barriers, assessing business impact, as well as managing and coaching a team of Product Managers who work on specific feature areas.
You will have significant strategic impact and will be uniquely positioned and empowered to make a huge impact on Nava's mission to reimagine how our government serves its people.
You can work remotely, or work from one of Nava’s offices in DC, SF, or NYC.
Opportunities and Challenges
Nava provides opportunities to do meaningful, impactful, mission-oriented work. As a public benefit corporation, we have a social mission written into our founding charter. The people who work at Nava have a fiduciary duty to our stated mission: to improve access, effectiveness, and simplicity of government services. We see this as an opportunity, but it is also important to highlight the challenges we face in advance.
You will be working within the government ecosystem, which means working dynamically, with other government contractors and civil servants. Working with people outside of Nava means you'll likely encounter different working styles, cultural norms and be responsible for maintaining order and focus without authority. At the same time, working as part of a larger team allows us to deliver on projects of larger impact, scale and complexity.
The government contracting ecosystem is a compliance-driven multi-stakeholder environment – particularly when compared to the operating environments for companies of our size in the private sector. Successful members of our team understand how to be innovative within this environment. Finding and recommending ways to improve the ways in which government digital services are procured and built is one of the highest-leverage ways we fulfill our mission.
What you'll do
- Define the vision, goals, and measures of success for the products and services you manage
- Grow and support a talented team of Product Managers who take pride in building high-quality, high-impact products and services that drive Nava's mission forward
- Work with designers, business analysts, project managers and technical leads to discover and synthesize market research, user needs, business requirements, and technical approaches
- Define the direction, scope, and priority of projects, from high level initiatives to specific features, user stories, and business metrics
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to develop and ship projects
- Proactively socialize, iterate on, and build buy-in for product initiatives with the team, government partners, and other contractors
- Collaborate with the project management team to prioritize roadmap and inbound units of work
- Represent Nava’s outcome-centric and user-centric approach in discovery meetings with agencies and contractors
- Understand and communicate the needs of end users and population segments we serve and government partners we work with
- Measure product progress towards business goals or user needs and translate data insights into action
- Make tactical decisions to improve the design, define requirements, and generate stakeholder buy-in for our desired path forward
What we're looking for
- At least 5 years of experience as a Product Manager owning a portfolio of products
- Proven leadership managing and growing a team of 2+ Product Manager director reports, including performance management
- Demonstrated interest and experience in coaching and mentoring, helping their team to define strategies and solutions instead of telling them the answers
- Ability to influence decision-making at all levels within an organization, using a variety of skills and tools
- Strong bias towards action; ability to step up into team gaps and ambiguous situations to structure the team’s action plan
- Ability to execute with incomplete information; great product instincts and an ability to create order from divergent needs
- Ability to identify market trends and shifts that will affect product direction, and updating plans based on future expectations
- Ability to generate very strong product plans and build buy-in across more than one team, including government partners and other contractors
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for technical, user experience, and project management trade-offs; enthusiastic and structured communicator
- An adaptive, empathetic, collaborative, and positive mindset
- Education: Due to contractual requirements, this role requires a Bachelor's Degree (in any discipline).
We're a small team working to radically improve our government, so everyone that joins us has a direct impact on the direction and success of Nava. We are stewards – we hold a deep responsibility towards the systems that we work with. We are a community – we value collaboration both within our teams and with the many hardworking people within government. We offer generous benefits and equity.
We care deeply about diversity and inclusion at Nava. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Note that we participate in E-Verify and upon hire, will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.