Head of Product
U.S. Digital Response
1 month ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
The Head of Product position is an entrepreneurial leader who will proactively look for opportunities to solve big (50-state and 10,000-city) problems, incubate new teams and products, own product strategy, and assist in fundraising to support these efforts. They will oversee USDR's product portfolio and support the team (composed both of full-time staff and pro bono volunteers) in working directly with government partners to use technology to better deliver critical services to real people.
For people new to government, you might imagine that working with governments could feel too slow when compared to the private sector—in our case, tackling a crisis and leveraging our rapid response model has enabled us to move incredibly fast. In just one year, USDR has taken on over 250+ projects with 150+ government agencies and NGOs, and established specialized program teams focused on Elections, Health, and Unemployment Insurance.
We recognize that almost every problem we help solve is likely one that countless other cities, counties, and states are facing at the same time. While our product portfolio is still nascent, it consists of reusable services we've seen work in multiple jurisdictions, reference implementations, and MVPs that we hope to enhance and expand into full offerings. We believe that we can do more to not only understand what 50-state and 10,000-city problems are most pressing today but also are well-positioned (through deep technical expertise and strong relationships with government partners) to proactively develop products and services we believe can scale to solve them.
The ideal candidate is experienced with managing products across lifecycles, including incubating new ideas and helping grow initial pilots into mature, scaled systems. They should also have experience building, mentoring, and supporting multiple product teams at once, and be skilled at synthesizing feedback from a wide range of users and partners into concrete solutions. They do not need prior government experience, but should be passionate about serving the public, and recognize that in order to help governments and nonprofits deliver better services, they will need to take the time to deeply understand existing constraints and systems, and learn to work effectively within them.
In this role you will:
- Set and drive a compelling product strategy for our Projects Team, and key product initiatives across USDR
- Communicate our shared vision effectively both internally and externally, across our community of volunteers and partner ecosystem
- Articulate impact and operational metrics, key milestones, and progress towards our vision and goals
- Support and mentor product managers and project leads who contribute to USDR projects and engagements, including volunteers on specific government partner projects, PM Technologists-in-Residences, and future staff. (We typically have dozens of volunteer project leads engaged at once, and have two PMs-in-Residence on staff at the moment.)
- Work closely with the executive team to develop and execute a philosophy and strategy for USDR's overall approach to product development, including when and how to invest in new vertical programs, build new products, or partner with outside organizations.
We're looking for someone with:
- 8+ years of experience in product management, working collaboratively with engineering, design, and user research teams
- 6+ years of management experience leading product teams.
- Strong work ethic, keen analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to manage complex projects and multi-task with excellent organization skills and a strict attention to detail.
- Awareness of privacy, security, and compliance practices, ideally with prior experience working in regulated industries. Experience in government is not required, but should have a strong interest in learning from and collaborating with government/NGO partners.
- Strong communication skills across a broad set of cross-functional stakeholders, including complex external partners (such as regulatory bodies, government entities, large enterprise customers).
- Experience in building diverse networks, partnerships, and long-term collaborative working relationships, and someone who is comfortable thinking outside the box and finding amicable solutions to reach end goals.
- Comfort with a fast-paced environment and changing requirements.
- Sound judgment, demonstrated ability in providing high integrity leadership, and capable of making smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information.
- Strong interest or experience in supporting equitable, effective access to public services using modern technology, design, and research practices.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, but we will begin reviewing applications on Friday, March 19th. Potential candidates will then meet with various members of our Executive Team and/or Team Leads.
- If you are interested in learning more about this and other roles, you can join the USDR Executive Team for an information session on Tuesday, March 16th at 10 am PT. You can register here.
Equal Employment Opportunity
U.S. Digital Response is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈