Director of Product Management
1 month ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: North America Only
Do you have concerns about climate change or energy affordability and wonder if there is a job out there that would allow you to have massive impact on these critical issues? Have you ever dreamed of working at a company that is filled with unusually passionate superstars and truly “walks-the-talk” around concepts like integrity, creating a true meritocracy, mutual respect, inclusion, and collaboration? If so, read on to see if Smart Wires might have the career opportunity that you have been dreaming about.
Smart Wires is currently looking for a Director of Product Management to lead our international Product Management team.
Smart Wires is reimagining the grid with our modular Flexible AC Transmission Systems (FACTS) solutions. The Smart Wires Product Management team aims to ensure that Smart Wires’ current and future products enable our customers to deliver reliable, low-cost, safe electricity while accelerating the decarbonization of the electricity sector and supporting widespread load electrification.
The Director of Product Management reports to the Senior Vice President (SVP) of Products and Solutions. Qualified candidates are energetic, excellent communicators, diplomats, experienced in the sector and thrive when working as part of a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team.
- Lead an international team managing the Smart Wires products from their current state to mass production, maturation, support and retirement. Oversee the health of the products across all stages, regularly reporting on product health to executives and convening stakeholders to make decisions when product health does not align with the product roadmap.
- Run a multi-stakeholder, cross-functional process to align on and regularly refresh our product roadmap. This includes assessing current/future customer needs, generating business cases and estimating market size for new products.
- Lead the effort to develop and commit to requirements for new products, working with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Oversee the management and augmentation of our repository of product collateral for both internal and external audiences.
- Serve as player-coach if needed.
- Represent the Product at gatherings of external stakeholders.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Science, preferably with an emphasis in Power Systems, Power Electronics or Systems Engineering.
- Minimum 5 years of power industry experience, preferably with at least a 3 years in a Product Management position with a company selling Transmission and Distribution (T&D) hardware.
- Excellent written communication and verbal presentation skills in English.
- Ability to work collaboratively in global teams.
- Proven work experience as a technical “influencer” and ability to own and drive the product.
- Ability to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment and not be hindered by ambiguity or multiple competing priorities.
- Ability to work with remote teams.
- Ability to travel regularly within the US and occasionally to Australia, Europe and Latin America.
- This position is located in the candidate’s preferred location in North America but will require ~20% travel.
If you have been reading closely, you wouldn't expect a typical recruiting process. And, we'd hate to disappoint you. To begin our rather unique recruiting process, please submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter which explains why you believe you would be the perfect fit for this job. Please note that your cover letter MUST specifically address each of the ideal qualifications described below. So, your first opportunity to impress us is...
- Measurable Successes: Academics is one place where people typically compete with others in a (mostly) objective and fair environment. For that reason, it is great to see candidates that excelled at some type of school. But if you don't have that, share something else that demonstrates your commitment to success, ideally competing against a group of other really motivated cohorts.
- Product Management Experience: Everyone who applies will have the required experience. In order to help us make the right choice, tell us why your Product Management experience is something we can't live without.
- It Is So Hard to Say Goodbye: Tell us about a boss or coworker that nearly or actually cried when you left their team (either in a business or academic environment) and your best guess as to the key reasons that they were nearly in tears. What is it specifically about you that they miss?
- And Gosh Darn It, People Like You: Relate something that gives us confidence that if we were on an elevator with you and the elevator malfunctioned between floors, that we wouldn't hate being stuck there with you for more than three hours while the doors are being repaired by the elevator services team.
Smart Wires develops and implements innovative technologies that advance the delivery of electricity. With our technology, electric utilities can maximize transfer capacity on their grids. This means more renewables, improved flexibility and stability, and less constraints, costs, community and environmental impact. With our next generation SmartValve™ technology, alongside our advanced analytics and consulting services, we are built to assist utilities solve problems and evolve the grid. Smart Wires is based in the United States, with corporate headquarters in Silicon Valley, European headquarters in Dublin, Ireland, and a global workforce.
We are carefully engineering our culture to attract stunning performers who thrive in a "Freedom and Responsibility" culture. Borrowing heavily from the cultural breakthroughs offered by Netflix, this culture rejects tight management of detailed tasks, focusing instead on hiring great people capable of managing important missions with fairly limited direction and supervision. We give even those with limited work experience the resources they need and believe that certain superstars are hard-wired to deliver nothing but truly excellent results. This is an atmosphere of rapid professional development and incredible learning. Our goal is to place superstars in every role so that we rely and trust each other to do our jobs brilliantly, knowing that this strategy ensures a fun, exciting workplace and nearly guarantees continued commercial success.
**Smart Wires is committed to diversity in our organization and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Smart Wires complies with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination and we especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of any skin color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.**
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: North America Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈