Marketing and PR Manager
2 weeks ago
Job type: Contract
Hiring from: UK Only
SocietyWorks, the commercial arm of the charity mySociety, seeks a Marketing and PR Manager who wants to make a difference in the world as part of a nimble, digital-first, entirely remote team in the UK.
You will help us plan and coordinate marketing and PR activity in order to raise awareness of our fast growing Local Government business among the potential client base. In particular you will communicate its potential to bring savings, efficiencies and improvements in citizen-to-government interactions.
We work with councils of all shapes and sizes and organisations like Transport for London and Highways England, to deploy branded, integrated street reporting systems that help local bodies deliver services to citizens efficiently and transparently.
Working alongside our Communications Manager, you will interact with a variety of colleagues across SocietyWorks and mySociety to understand what news and stories you can share, and how you’ll turn our day to day work and innovation into blog posts, press articles and social media content. Your main focus will be on sharing the development of our suite of local government services, so some experience of working with or within the public sector would be very useful.
Through our own research we’re aware that civic technology services often don’t reach the disadvantaged and marginalised communities that could benefit the most – and so, you'll be working within an organisation-wide strategy that ensures all our communications are inclusive and welcoming to every sector of society, as well as contributing to a proactive outreach programme.
You’ll need to be organised, self-motivated and self-directed. We’ve been a remote organisation since our beginnings, and we do everything we can to maintain a fun and supportive culture, despite being physically distanced from one another.
mySociety team members work collaboratively and there is a hands-off culture: you'll get as much guidance and support as you require, when you request it. With advance knowledge of all our upcoming development, it’ll be up to you to plan your work and time most effectively, in a way that suits you.
No recruiters or agencies, please.
- Share the development of SocietyWorks local government services with prospective new clients and users across the UK
- Build SocietyWorks’ overall profile and influence in the local government and wider public sector, taking advantage of our new brand and positioning
- Work closely with our sales team to support their new business and business development activity including lead generation and campaigns
- Amplify the impact and reach of SocietyWorks exhibitions and conferences such as Highways UK and the LGA, events, seminars and client events
- Bring our services to a much wider audience of users, especially those from marginalised or disadvantaged communities who might benefit from greater voice
Strategy and coordination
- Develop and deliver communications plans and strategies for SocietyWorks projects, events and campaigns
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of communications, and make recommendations for future improvements
- Provide regular comms updates for the SocietyWorks team and contribute to the regular comms and sales meetings
- Maintain a list of press contacts, and build relationships with them over time as our products develop further
- Maintain and expand our email marketing list for prospective clients and service users
Day to day activities
- Seek opportunities for SocietyWorks PR, stories and news in the trade and consumer press
- Generate high quality and engaging content for our own communications channels; including writing regular blog posts and social media updates
- Oversee the SocietyWorks website, creating and updating its content
- Manage paid for online ads including on Google Adwords, LinkedIn and Facebook
- Produce copy and co-ordinate with our design team for sales brochures, leaflets, annual report, etc
- Manage and respond to incoming SocietyWorks press enquiries
- Support individual product and research launches both in SocietyWorks and mySociety
- Ensure our our marketing is compliant with relevant data protection legislation including the General Data Protection Regulation
We’re keen to hear from all suitably skilled and experienced people, not just those who have worked in the tech or creative industries. We are particularly interested in improving the diversity of our team and welcome applications from candidates from black and minority backgrounds, who are currently underrepresented.
You should have experience in some or all of the following:
- Significant professional experience of regular authoring of press releases, case studies, blog posts, and other online content
- Significant professional experience of digital content and social media
- Experience of responding directly to press and PR enquiries
- Experience of working with or within the public sector would be useful
- Familiar with the nurturing and moderation of online communities
- Able to create content in simple HTML and markdown
- Able to monitor performance of campaigns through quantitative testing and iteration
- Able to prioritise and manage workload by consensus with colleagues
- Able to quickly come to an understanding of new and potentially complex subjects, and condense them for different audiences
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Attention to detail
You do not need to have a university degree.
Interested in applying but not sure you have all the skills? Please apply anyway! We support learning on the job and rearranging tasks within the teams to suit the skillsets of the best applicant. Please let us know in your covering letter what your relevant experience is and where you might need to learn as you go.
Got questions? Drop an email to Abi Broom on [email protected].
This is initially a 12 month contract with salary in the range of £32,000 to £36,000 depending on experience, plus pension (3% employer contribution, 5% employee), and 25 days holiday per year. We encourage flexible working and would consider applications for this as a part time position.
You must be based in the UK and you need to have the right to work in this country (sorry, but we can’t offer help with visas or relocation expenses).
You can read more about what it’s like working at mySociety at https://www.mysociety.org/about/careers/culture
Deadlines and dates
The application deadline is 10am on Monday 21st September 2020 and interviews will take place within the following two weeks. We will aim to notify applicants of whether or not they will be invited to interview by close of business on Thursday 24th September 2020.
Assuming that social distancing is still advised at this time, it is likely that interviews will be conducted via video conference.
Your application should consist of a CV and covering letter.
We’ll rely on your covering letter to show us why your skills make you a good fit for this role when we are shortlisting candidates so take your time getting it right.
We review all applications anonymously. So please put your details in the 'Personal information' section of the application form, but it helps us if you leave them out of your CV and cover letter, which we'll separate from the rest and anonymise - use your initials rather than your name, and omit identifying details such as your email address.
We’ll want to see examples of work that best represent you, so if you have examples of successfully delivered projects that you have contributed to, let us know where to find them. No need to anonymise these as we’ll review after shortlisting.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: UK Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈