1 month ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Category: Finance / Legal
Openly is one of the fastest-growing Insurtechs in the country, building a next-generation insurance company from the ground up. We've launched our homeowners product with great success in five states and are looking to expand into twenty-five states by the end of 2021. We're paying close attention to the way customers want insurance to work, and questioning the way things have been done in this industry for over a hundred years - everything from how insurance is quoted and sold, to the frustrating back-end operations that waste money. Insurance is filled with interesting engineering problems that need a fresh perspective. You can watch our Techstars 2018 Demo Day video to learn more about what we've built.
This isn't something we've undertaken on a whim - the founding team brings executive-level experience from Liberty Mutual Insurance and Goldman Sachs, with mastery in actuarial science, computer engineering, math, and finance (MIT, Duke, and the University of Michigan). The rest of the team are key early hires who are experts in their respective fields of statistics, actuarial science, and engineering.
We're backed by a select group of deeply knowledgeable and dedicated investors. Our seed round was led by Gradient Ventures (Google's AI fund) and Obvious Ventures, a socially-minded top-tier VC behind companies like Beyond Meat and Medium, led our recent Series A.
We are seeking an experienced Research Actuary to design and lead a data-science powered actuarial function. You will leverage the latest technologies to automate and lead our profitability and pricing management function. Reporting to the Senior Director of Research, this highly visible role offers the opportunity to work closely with leaders across the organization to quickly mobilize solutions. This role requires a self-motivated, high-energy individual who can easily function in a fast-paced, performance-driven environment. Your primary responsibilities will be to:
- Drive state expansion by developing rating models, developing other customer-facing models, and supporting DOI inquiries
- Develop product analytics capabilities to enrich understanding of Product Profitability and Customer Behavior. Operationalize insights.
- Produce formal actuarial deliverables as needed (rate indications, amendments to rating plan, reinsurance analysis, etc.)
- Ensure Product and Operations organizations share an aligned, cohesive, and data-driven perspective of business performance
- Partner with Reporting to efficiently and effectively communicate relevant metrics and insights across the organization
- Continuously test and adopt newly available tools/capabilities to improve the scale and rigor of our actuarial capabilities
- 5+ years of experience in insurance analytics and modeling with significant experience in personal lines insurance pricing
- ACAS/FCAS in good standing with the CAS
- Advanced SQL skills
- Python familiarity and interest to learn
- Ability to identify and define complex business problems and develop relevant analytical frameworks to deliver solutions, often operating in ambiguity and leveraging creativity
- Strong communication and project management skills, and the ability to collaborate effectively with people at all levels across the company
- Strong decision-making skills
- Homeowners insurance experience is a plus
- Competitive salary, equity position in a start-up company
- Generous medical, dental, vision insurance plans, 401k plus match, FSA benefits
- Generous and fully company-paid parental leave policy
- “Work-from-anywhere” company that has fully embraced remote working, even prior to COVID restrictions
- Paid Time Off
- Fun, fast-paced, startup environment
U.S. Citizens, Green Card Holders, and those authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer will be considered.
Openly is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Openly is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Openly will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈