Benefits Data Trust
2 months ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Category: Finance / Legal
Benefits Data Trust (BDT) seeks a Policy Attorney to help develop innovative strategies to streamline public benefits enrollment for low-income individuals and families. The Policy Attorney will support the development of public benefits access solutions by conducting legal research on the policy options, levers, and barriers to benefits access and monitoring and responding to federal and state legislative and regulatory actions. As a Policy Department member, the Policy Attorney will support program design and process improvement efforts. The Policy Attorney role is a new position for BDT. It requires sound legal judgment accompanied by creative thinking to address evolving requirements in public benefits and their intersection with other sectors such as healthcare and higher education.
The Policy Department is part of the Office of Strategy. The Policy Attorney reports to the Director of Policy. Remote OK (Preferred Cities: DC, NYC, Philadelphia)
- Develop substantive expertise in the intersection of public benefits access, cross-benefit enrollment, and technology that supports benefits outreach and application assistance
- Think strategically about opportunities to leverage existing laws and regulations to improve benefits access
- Conduct legal and policy research to identify and enhance policy and practice solutions BDT as well as state and local agencies can adopt to improve access to public benefits
- Draft issue briefs and legal memos to facilitate state and local agency adoption of improved policies and practices
- In partnership with other BDT staff, provide direct technical assistance to state and local agencies in leveraging existing policy options and adopting new policies and practices
- Monitor federal, state, and local statutes, regulations, and case law related to public benefits programs for opportunities and threats to public benefits access in BDT's geographies of focus
- Translate complex legal concepts for diverse audiences, including internal staff and external partners such as state agencies, healthcare entities, and community-based organizations
- Lead the development and submission of formal comments on proposed regulations
- Support and, where appropriate, lead drafting responses to government requests for information related to BDT's subject matter expertise in public benefits
- Maintain relationships with legal experts in public benefits access to help BDT stay informed of current legal developments, provide thought leadership, and to collaborate on opportunities to improve benefits access
- J.D. required plus a minimum of three years of experience, preferably in the public benefits space
- Knowledge of SNAP and Medicaid eligibility policy strongly preferred
- Knowledge of similarly complex public benefit[s] favored
- Experience interpreting and responding to federal and state statutes and regulations
- Experience working with SNAP or Medicaid agency counsel or public benefits legal aid attorneys a plus
- Strong legal analysis skills
- Strong alignment with BDT's mission and commitment to promoting equity in benefits access
- Creative thinker that is solutions-oriented and energized by the opportunity to use the law to solve challenging and complex problems
- Project management experience along with superb attention to detail and analytical thinking/problem-solving skills
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work as a positive team member in a productive environment with limited supervision
Due to COVID-19, BDT is operating under a remote-working protocol, following governmental requirements and CDC guidelines. While this job will begin as fully remote, when BDT determines it is safe to do so based on public health recommendations, we will move back into our Centre Square office. At that time, all Philadelphia-based staff are expected to transition back into the office.
Benefits Data Trust is a national nonprofit that helps people live healthier, more independent lives by creating smarter ways to access essential benefits and services. Each year, BDT helps tens of thousands of people receive critical supports using data, technology, targeted outreach, and policy change. Since its inception in 2005, BDT has screened more than one million households and secured over $7.5 billion in benefits and services. BDT employs more than 250 people and provides enrollment assistance to individuals in six states, and policy assistance to states nationwide. For more information, visit bdtrust.org.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈