Legal Counsel (f/m/d)
1 month ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: Germany Only
Category: Finance / Legal
We’re looking for fintech enthusiasts to join us in creating the financial infrastructure of tomorrow. We’re building the first European Investment API to enable any financial institution to offer a broad range of investment products in their apps. Our view is backed by Europe's largest tech VCs (Earlybird, Notion Capital, Partech, HV Capital, ABN AMRO Ventures) and by renowned fintech entrepreneurs (including Maximilian Tayenthal, founder of N26, and Felix Haas, founder of IDnow).
We’re based in Berlin but would consider hiring remotely for this role. If you do want to move to Berlin though, we’re happy to support your relocation.
At Upvest, our vision is to make investing as easy as spending money. By enabling any business to offer investment opportunities to anyone, our goal is to empower 100 million people to invest (by 2025). Today, we count 50+ talented people from 20 different countries.
This is a unique chance to shape the future of brokerage under the new investment firm regime (IFR/IFD). We are looking for an in-house Legal Counsel to help us build a full digital investment bank offering the first European investment API. You will work closely with our General Counsel, Dang, on organizing the investment firm’s legal and compliance structure, creating internal policies for the 2nd line of defense department, advising on corporate housekeeping matters, supporting our people’s department on matters of labour law, assisting the upcoming financial rounds of the company, and providing sound advice to both internal and external stakeholders of Upvest.
This is a unique opportunity to build your very own expertise in this highly regulated environment of brokerage business and become a true FinTech rising star. We want to help boost your knowledge in regulatory and corporate law on the job. We want to grow with you and support you to become a well-balanced corporate lawyer personality of highest demand. And along this journey, we make sure that you are going to have great fun as a member of Upvest.
You'll have the opportunity to
- Draft and negotiate agreements with high profile market makers, stock exchanges and depositary banks in Europe,
- Learn from the best advisors in the fields of banking operations and regulation,
- Work with exceptional passionate and bright young colleagues in the most hyped field of FinTech,
- Provide internal guidance on legal, regulatory and contractual requirements
- Ensure that Upvest’s products and services comply with applicable laws
Fully qualified German lawyer (1st and 2nd state examination)
First work experience in a law firm or as in-house counsel, especially with a focus on corporate and/or security trading and/or depositary law
Great communication skills, both oral and written in English and German is a must
Strong reasoning and problem-solving skills with attention to detail
Ability to thrive in a fast-paced remote environment
Passion about the future of FinTech and desire to drive it from a front-row seat
Able to work from Germany (being based in Berlin is NOT required, though a plus)
What we offer
- We're working on solving a hard problem: building the first European investment API that empowers more people to invest. You have the opportunity to contribute to this change.
- We invest in you. From access to a personal coach, development budget and plenty of opportunities to grow in your role.
- We take hiring seriously with a strong focus on keeping a high bar when interviewing (equally important is that we also hire decent people who are passionate about their craft and helping up achieve our shared mission).
- While we're not quite fully-remote, we are committed to being a flexible employer as we understand you don't have to be in the office to do your best work.
- We live a culture of empowerment, trust (that we hire the best people and get out of their way) and openness (there's a greater advantage in sharing information than keeping it to ourselves).
- We ensure we take time to have fun as a team: from regular donut coffee meetings, learning German with other Upvengers and a regular schedule for (virtual) company-wide events. We're looking forward to having more time in-person again once this becomes possible again.
- Learn and grow: We aim high to shape our future. We give and request honest feedback. Everything is a learning opportunity. Progression > Perfection.
- Team first. We make it easy for others. We value different views, disagree, and commit. We win and celebrate together!
- Own the outcome. We are proactive and finish the job until it is done. Happy clients > Sales. We take breaks when needed.
- Tell the story. We always start with the ‘why’. Outcome > Process. We share knowledge to empower others.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: Germany Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈