General Counsel, Employment and Benefits
1 month ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Category: Finance / Legal
Risk Strategies is a privately-held National Insurance Brokerage and Risk Management Firm with more than 2000 employees servicing over 100,000 clients and brokers across North America. In addition, Risk Strategies is building a first class program, panel and wholesale operation branded One80 Intermediaries. Risk Strategies’ deep expertise and service capabilities are key competitive advantages, which drive strong revenue retention and industry-leading growth. As Winner of Best Places to Work for the last three consecutive years, our goal is to support our employees’ career goals and development.
As our first dedicated attorney focused on employment and benefits matters, you will have the opportunity to enhance and expand legal support for this vital function in a rapidly growing company. The AGC, Employment and Benefits will be responsible for providing day-to-day advice and support of the human resources team and other internal business partners on a wide variety of employment matters concerning all aspects of the employment relationship, traditional labor matters, and benefits-related matters. In addition, this position will manage employment-related claims, charges and litigation, and labor-related administrative complaints and arbitrations, including oversight of outside legal counsel and related spend.
- Provide advice and support to the human resources team and other internal business partners on all aspects of the employment relationship including, among other things, hiring, background checks, affirmative action, training, performance management, promotion, leaves of absence and accommodation, discipline, employment separation, re-organizations, reductions in force, etc.
- Advise on, draft and negotiate employment and independent contractor agreements, separation / severance agreements, restrictive covenant agreements and other employment related agreements.
- Provide advice and counsel to the human resources team and other internal business partners related to compliance with federal, state and local employment and labor laws and regulations including, among others, Title VII, ADA, FMLA, FLSA, FCRA, as well as any state and local equivalents.
- Engage, collaborate with, and oversee outside counsel on administrative claims and investigations (EEOC, DOL, OSHA and state and local agencies), litigation and arbitrations, including implementing legal holds, establishing and managing budgets, developing and implementing case strategy, assisting with discovery and related matters, reviewing pleadings and motions, interfacing with the business, and reaching appropriate resolutions.
- Provide legal advice on special projects such as acquisitions, divestitures, and joint ventures and participate in various teams to review particular issues and provide assistance in setting policy and direction.
- Develop and implement employment policies, procedures and guidelines, adding, reviewing and revising as appropriate.
- Develop and conduct training and communications programs to educate employees and management and promote ethical and compliant culture.
- Conduct risk assessments and evaluate effectiveness of compliance program elements; recommend and implement improvements based on such evaluation.
- J. D. from an accredited US law school in the US and membership in at least one state bar, preferably Massachusetts or New York.
- Minimum 5+ years’ focused experience in a labor, employment & benefits law practice.
- Training at a nationally or internationally recognized law firm and, preferably, some in-house experience.
- Experience and exposure to a wide variety of employment and benefits matters across multiple jurisdictions including, preferably, internationally.
- Ability to provide sound legal advice that reflects an understanding of the company’s overall business objectives.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈