2 weeks ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Category: Finance / Legal
Resource Generation is a national multi-racial, membership-based organization mobilizing young people (age 18-35) with wealth and class privilege in the U.S. to become transformative leaders working towards the equitable distribution of wealth, land and power. The broader Resource Generation community includes people of all ages and class backgrounds who support the role that young people with wealth play in social change. RG has 18 chapters in cities around the U.S., and our chapters engage in base-building, political education programming, running giving circles, engaging in local and national campaigns, and building local organizational relationships.
RG seeking a full-time Finance Manager. This is a newly created position. This person will be responsible for the day-to-day financial management of the organization. They should be adept and experienced in understanding financial statements and budgets of a non-profit organization. They will exercise a high level of attention to detail, timeliness and accuracy. They should have an authoritative understanding of financial concepts and terms and be able to communicate this information to staff with less familiarity with organizational financial matters. They value open communication, can work with remote staff across the country, and can manage multiple priorities at once. The Finance Manager will work with our external bookkeeper and will utilize our work and project management systems, database, and digital file storage system.
The Finance Manager's overall success will be measured by the smooth, timely and accurate functioning of our financial management. Resource Generation has a $3.6M budget and 20 full-time staff and is over 90% funded by general operating support from our 1,200+ members. We use a decentralized leadership structure called Collab. The Finance Manager will be joining a 4-person Operations Team and a highly collaborative work environment. This position will report to the Associate Director.
- Develop and manage financial systems across the organization
- Ensure financial tracking is timely, accurate and error-free
- Manage day-to-day financial management including processing weekly payments to vendors and staff reimbursements
- Communicate with vendors and staff on any financial matters including accounts payable, accounts receivable, benefit costs, and payroll
- Assist in resolving any discrepancies, disputes or errors in any financial matters
- Maintain error-free and accurate budget and finance spreadsheets and other financial documents
- Assist in resolving any discrepancies for accounting, benefits and payroll
- Develop, manage and track cash flow, and ensure adherence to reserve policy
- Lead on-boarding for new staff around financial systems and staff understanding of financial policies
- On a weekly basis, meet with finance consultant
- On a monthly basis, review financial statements for RG and our c4 sibling organization RG Action, for accuracy and to flag any major changes in income and expenses.
- On a quarterly basis, manage the financial transactions and reconciliations between RG and RG Action
- On a quarterly basis, work with the Associate Director to develop the finance narrative for board of director and executive team meetings.
- On an annual basis lead participatory budgeting process with staff teams and external bookkeeper
- Oversee annual organizational audit to ensure financial systems are compliant with standard accounting practices fraud and error free
- Manage annual preparation, review and filing of Form 990
- Lead the annual year-end fiscal close-out process
- Other finance and accounting duties as required
Core qualifications and required skills
- Experienced in Financial Management: Demonstrated experience in the financial management of a non-profit organization including an authoritative understanding of financial concepts, financial statements, budgets, and cash flow.
- Attention to detail: Can manage multiple spreadsheets and a large amount of data with minimal mistakes.
- Self-directed, persistent, creative, and solutions-oriented. Can work-plan effectively to meet goals, communicate in a timely and responsive way, and can spend many hours a day on a computer.
- Dedicated Team Member: Can manage own workload while responding to emerging and ongoing organizational needs, and be flexible and open to shifting priorities and timelines.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills: Experience in financial analysis and ability to communicate this information with staff less familiar with financial matters; can work remotely with a national team; ability to communicate in a timely manner via email, phone and chat.
- Ability to build strong relationships across differences: Demonstrated skills in building trust and working with a wide range of people across class, race, gender, and sexual orientation.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and economic justice: Believes in the stake young wealthy folks have in collective liberation and the possibility and necessity of cross-class and multiracial movement building.
The ideal candidate has:
- Demonstrated at least 3-4 years of experience in financial management or accounting of an organization with at least a $2 million budget.
- A basic understanding of class, classism, and your own class identity
- Familiarity with healing justice; commitment to your own transformation & healing from oppressive systems
- Fluency with databases and digital tools including Google Suites and Microsoft Excel.
Location & Travel: The Finance Manager can work remotely from anywhere in the continental US. Candidates must be able to travel up to three times a year for week-long national conferences and staff retreats. Travel to New York City for 3 days to lead the annual audit may also be required.
Salary: This is a full-time position with a salary range of $64,000 - $71,000 based on regional cost of living and additional experience brought to the role.
Staff Culture: RG is grounded in feminist and social justice principles. We engage in monthly class and race caucuses, and bi-monthly political education sessions. All staff participates in our bi-annual membership drive.
Benefits: RG offers excellent benefits including 100% employer-paid health, vision, and dental insurance; 100% employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, and life insurance; medical and transit flexible spending account; 403(b) retirement plan and an employer contribution after one year of employment; professional development funds; home office/co-working allowance; 15 vacation days, 15 sick days and 5 personal days. We have a 32-hour work-week schedule (Monday through Thursday).
Timeline and Hiring Process: We will begin interviews in late May with the intention for the position to be filled by mid-August.
How to Apply: Submit your resume and cover letter through Breezy by May 14. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Your cover letter should address the core qualifications and required skills for this position. Please also address the following questions:
- Describe your experience with financial management responsibilities.
- How do you keep track of multiple projects with competing deadlines?
As part of the application process you will be asked, “Why do you want to work at Resource Generation?”
Accommodations: If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the application and interview process, please contact us through BreezyHR.
RG organizes young people with wealth and the RG staff is currently a cross-class and multi-racial team. We especially encourage those who are Black, Indigenous, and people of color; trans, non-binary, and gender non-conforming people; and people from poor and working-class backgrounds to apply.
Resource Generation is an equal opportunity employer, and accordingly, promotes equal opportunity in the areas of recruitment, employment, training, development, transfer, and promotion. Our employment practices are without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability or medical condition, national origin or ancestry, marital and veteran status, and all other categories protected by anti-discrimination laws.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈