Director of Policy
1 month ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Category: Finance / Legal
Director of Policy
The Director Policy is a new position at Community Solutions, created to advance an end to homelessness as a public health imperative. Success in the position will be measured by the achievement of Community Solutions' four-year aims. The Director will be a Principal
Member of the Community Solutions' Executive Team.
About Community Solutions
Community Solutions is a team of social problem solvers working toward a lasting end to homelessness that leaves no one behind. Community Solutions works at the intersection of housing and public health and has demonstrated that a public health approach- data driven, collaborative, prevention oriented - is effective in reducing and ending homelessness. By 2024, we aim to reach a tipping point where homelessness is understood as an urgent and solvable public health priority; the barriers to its elimination in any community have been removed, and mayors and county executives are held accountable for maintaining a state of “functional zero” where homelessness is rare and quickly resolved should it occur.
Community Solutions powers a growing movement to end homelessness at a population level. We engage, train and coach local teams in creating a results-based housing system across their community through our “Built for Zero” collaborative, and through our social impact real estate team that supports these communities in closing housing supply gaps through a range of innovative financing, development and occupancy management strategies. Built for Zero involves more than 80 cities and counties throughout the United States and in several international settings. 14 of the communities in our network have now ended chronic or veteran homelessness, and many more are within sight of that goal.
The COVID-19 pandemic has reinforced the vulnerability of those experiencing homelessness and the necessity of ending homelessness as an urgent public health priority.
The Person We're Seeking:
We are seeking an exceptional leader able to shape and guide the policy effort that will be required to achieve our 2024 goal. The Director of Policy will build on the evidence that homelessness is solvable when approached using public health methods to develop and execute a strategy that will drive a new understanding of homelessness as a public health issue. The Director will lead the development and implementation of a strategy to assist communities in reaching and maintaining “functional zero” homelessness by removing policy barriers at the federal and state levels. This will involve integrating the goal of functional zero homelessness into public health mandates at all levels of government and shifting incentives in federal and state programs to drive sustainable reductions in homelessness.
By 2024, these measures will have resulted in a critical mass of US communities reaching “functional zero” for at least one target segment of people experiencing homelessness.
The successful candidate will be a senior leader with a proven track record of public policy wins and in making positive change happen. The candidate will have demonstrated expertise in policy development, building broad multi-sector coalitions, driving political or social advocacy campaigns and working cross-functionally with field, public affairs and communications teams. Experience in the public health field or in housing or health policy development is desirable. This role requires a mission-focus alignment with Community Solutions' values and culture, strong, clear communication skills, and relationship management with Community Solutions' Board, Executive Team, staff, partners, and other key stakeholders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Reporting to the President, shape and coordinate all policy activities of the organization and participate in setting priorities.
- Develop and execute a policy strategy to enable us to achieve our short and long term goals.
- Work seamlessly with our strategic communications team and public affairs leader to coordinate policy and external messages.
- Coordinate strategy with key external partners,
- Build alliances with key stakeholders to advance policy objectives.
- Support an external advisory board.
Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- At least 8 years of experience in policy development and implementation
- Understands how to drive hard policy change through lobbying, relationships, and issue advocacy
- A track record of working effectively with colleagues both inside and outside their organization, with a reputation for building strong professional networks and the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence”.
- Achieved results as a problem-solver and in bringing about positive change.
- Strategic thinking and decision-making skills, strong analytical capabilities, and a stakeholder-oriented mindset.
- Demonstrated ability to track progress against targets.
- A bachelor's degree is required. An advanced degree in a related field is preferred.
- Non-traditional candidates welcome. Community Solutions strives for representation and authentic inclusion of applicants and employees who have direct, first-hand experience with poverty, homelessness, and their root causes (including marginalization, discrimination, and inequity).
CS offers competitive salaries and benefits packages for every position. The salary for this position is $140k and will be based upon experience.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈