DE Mortgage Underwriter
Oceanside Mortgage Company
2 weeks ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Category: Finance / Legal
The Underwriter is responsible for validating income, asset and collateral documents including self-employed tax returns. The Underwriter may be involved in one or several types of mortgage lending (conventional, government-backed, etc.). Lending authority to include conventional, FHA, VA, and USDA loan programs. Excellent phone and communication skills and a value of providing superior customer service to internal and external customers required.
- Evaluates loan applications for risks and various criteria such as investor requirements, accuracy, consistency, and completeness
- Review new loan files to ensure loan meets investor and program criteria.
- Review transmittal & 1003 to make sure it is accurate and complete, compare to findings to verify that all information matches
- Review credit report and compare to liabilities on 1003. Verify the investor guidelines for outstanding derogatory items and require payment or satisfaction if needed. Request updated mortgage history if needed
- Calculate income using documentation required per investor, questioning any large changes in income
- Review assets statements to compare to required assets. Require documentation and source for any recent large deposits
- Review title to verify our borrower has ownership on a refinance transaction and that the seller has ownership for a purchase transaction. Check that chain of title meets investor requirements. Verify there are no unpaid liens or judgments and that all mortgage liens being paid off through the transaction. Compare tax figures to 1003
- Review appraisal to ensure the value is supported and that the appraiser has provided a complete accurate appraisal. Order value review on loans considered high risk
- Review file to make sure compliance has been met; regulatory, state compliance and federal (patriot act)
- Calculate net tangible benefit for those states that require this test
- Review final conditions turned in for Underwriting Final Approval
- Maintain current and fluid knowledge of investor and agency guidelines
- Approves loan with proper documentation or recommends further action
- Communicates effectively and engages proactively with loan originators, processors, branch managers, funders and post-closers in regards to loan decisions, assignment of loan conditions, investor guidelines/documentation requirements and possible loan scenarios
- Applies knowledge of underwriting and pre-underwriting to best serve loan applicant and investor needs
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3+ years of recent Mortgage Underwriting Experience (FHA, VA and Conventional) with strong agency guideline knowledge
- DE certification required; experience with VA & USDA is a plus
- Strong working knowledge of ATR/QM Requirements
- Ability to work in a fast paced, fluid environment and be held to minimum production standards
- High integrity and outstanding work ethic required
- Strong computer skills; proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Must have proficient written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of compliance and disclosure requirements
- Knowledge of closing, post-closing & quality control responsibilities
Only applicants with active DE certifications will be considered! Remote candidates will be considered.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈