Actuarial Analyst - Climate & Agriculture
3 months ago
Job type: Contract
Hiring from: Multiple locations
Category: Finance / Legal
Location: Remote: UTC-5 - UTC+3 timezone
Start date: ASAP
Contract duration: 2 - 3 months with a possible extension
Time commitment: 20-40 hours/week
WorldCover seeks a talented Actuarial Analyst to support our core B2B agricultural insurance operations in the US and Europe. As a core member of our Solutions Team your mission is to produce bespoke parametric insurance products based on our clients’ risk profiles. This is an exciting and challenging role for an Actuarial Analyst or Risk Modeller specialized in geospatial datasets.
WorldCover is insuring commercial growers in the US and Europe against the effects of climate change. Our proprietary technology platform enables us to instantly price insurance for agricultural producers across the world. And we provide sophisticated dashboards to our enterprise clients showing them real time status of their insurance coverage.
We are founded by MIT computer scientists and finance industry experts, and our leadership team hails from Gates Foundation, Barclays and CIAT. We are backed by MS&AD Ventures among other world-class venture investors. See our recent press coverage in TechCrunch, the WSJ and FT.
As a WorldCover Actuarial Analyst you’ll be the third member of our Solutions team, joining our Head of Research in building insurance solutions for new enterprise customers. You will use, expand and improve our current pricing platform by assessing risks, modeling techniques and improving our models for agricultural risk based on the latest technologies.
You will work with our Business Development Team to customer requests for innovative weather insurance. You will construct and price portfolios to protect these customers’ production and allow them to reduce costs and increase their resiliency.
Working directly with our Head of Research, you will drive the future of WorldCover by customizing our insurance products to new geographies, risk periods and perils, based on customer feedback. You will play a crucial role in enabling our sales team to close deals, by providing exactly the product that their customer is looking for.
This is a senior, individual-contributor role in a growing startup that is making a difference in our resilience to climate change. Come join us!
- You have 5-6 years experience in modelling spatio-temporal risks (agriculture/natural catastrophe/energy)
- You have 2-3 years experience with R, doing statistical inference, distribution estimation, extreme event modeling and basic data wrangling
- You have hands-on knowledge of remote sensing datasets
- You can work independently and manage multiple engagements simultaneously
- You are able to thrive in a fast-paced environment; prioritize ruthlessly and effectively amongst competing demands
- You are knowledgeable with structured databases (SQL)
- You have worked on non-life insurance pricing and VaR estimation methods
- You have experience with portfolio allocation
- You are familiar with spatial vector and raster formats and spatial queries
- Part/full time role with internationally competitive salary
- Independence and self-accountability in hours
- Front row seat to the growth of a successful, YC-funded tech startup
- A team of similarly mission-driven, energetic, and skilled leaders
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: Multiple locations .
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈