Together we’re building a company that will endure and products people will love for generations to come.
We believe that people do their best in a culture that fosters inclusion, innovation, and success. Our values - Champion the Customer, Take the Lead, Run Together, Ack + Own and Bring Yourself - serve as the foundation of our collaborative and dynamic culture.
Whether it’s conducting a retrospective, participating in our bi-annual Hack weeks, cranking out a new product feature, supporting our two PagerDuty bands, or doing our day to day work, Dutonians live and breathe these five values every day. Together, we solve real customer issues and fulfill our mission of connecting teams to real-time opportunities and elevate work to the outcomes that matter.
Solve for what’s next—at PagerDuty.
We're looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join our core infrastructure group to drive innovation and architectural evolution.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work with a diverse group engineers in the pursuit of technical excellence.
We're open to a diverse group of backgrounds from enterprise, mid-market and B2C.
If you think you've seen it all in your career and have been successful in other high growth environments, apply today!
As a Staff Software Engineer, Infrastructure here at PagerDuty, you’ll be part of a team that’s intensely focused on our internal, external customers and the overall engineering community.
We design, build, and run robust systems that extend and enhance our amazing products. Of course we use our own products ourselves!
How You Contribute to Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
- Ingrain yourself into our core product and take the first few months to really learn our product, tech stack and people.
- Help set the future technical course for our production systems, technology stack, and architecture.
- Be prepared to make technical recommendations across the business and use your past experiences to make key decisions that will have immediate and long term impact at PagerDuty.
- Write code, debug issues, and participate in the service and infrastructure design process.
- Design for resilient and scalable systems while maintaining consistent delivery of value.
- Provide guidance, technical leadership, and mentoring.
About You: Skills and Attributes
- Experience with complex web applications
- Experience working in microservices or service oriented architecture.
- Expert in cloud-based technologies, especially AWS.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Experience in some or all of the following: Elixir, Ruby on Rails, MySQL, Kafka and React.
- 15+ years of experience in software product development.
- Extensive experience and contributions in a high growth environment.
- Experience with full, long-term service ownership.
- Experience with agile, (scrum, lean, kanban) delivery methodologies.
- Well rounded, vast and broad experience in different technical environments.
How We Work
PagerDuty Engineering teams are set up to be mini innovation pods. We practice what we preach
, and believe that every engineer can build great products to delight our thousands of customers.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of ‘Code It. Ship It. Own It.’ and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software
that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents.
Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via bi-annual Hack weeks, actively attack
our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon
, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events
, and contribute
to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Owner, and agile coach to help support our people
and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set
and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full ‘stay technical’ career track.
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family
- 401K with 1% match
- Pre-tax commuter benefits, FSA, cell phone allowance and more!
- Generous parental leave
- Paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid holidays and ample sick leave
- Paid employee Volunteer Time - 20 hours per year
- Bi-annual company wide hack weeks
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Should you require accommodation, please email [email protected] and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with local requirements.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.