(Sr) Power System Engineer
3 weeks ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: Ireland only
Category: DevOps / Sysadmin
Do you worry about the future of our planet and wonder how you can make a difference?
Have you ever wondered whether there is a career path that is both exciting and offers you a chance to truly make that difference?
Are you interested in an opportunity to make that difference from day one at a company where the mission statement is focused on Reinventing the Transmission Industry and Helping to Save The Planet?
If so, read on to see if this might be the new job you have been dreaming about. Our entire senior team has been on a mission for the last eight years to save the planet. We came from one of the largest energy companies in the world and we had deep experience finding innovative companies in renewable energy that could truly make a difference. We have decades of experience putting young tech companies “on the map” to accomplish great things. But we fully realize this company has more potential than any opportunity we have previously encountered.
Smart Wires is currently looking for a Europe based Power System Engineer to join our international Product and Solution Analytics team.
Smart Wires is reimagining the grid with our modular FACTS hardware. The Smart Wires analytics team is reimagining how transmission planning can be done in an optimal and reproducible way. Our current opportunities lie at the intersection of Power System Analysis, Power and Energy Market Analysis, Software Engineering, and Data Analytics.
Senior Power System Engineers report to the Director of Product and Solution Analytics. This role will also be leading a large tool development project, working closely with the commercial team based in Dublin and coordinating with external stakeholders. Qualified candidates are optimistic, energetic, excellent written communicators, and thrive when working as part of a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team.
- Lead the integration of Smart Wires' products into the planning and operations of electrical systems via tool and model development.
- Develop real time contingency analysis and decision support tools to dispatch power flow control devices in real time
- Develop Security Constrained Optimal Power Flow (SCOPF) tools with dispatchable power flow control devices.
- Create reproducible power-flow, steady-state stability, transient stability, and production-cost studies of the customer transmission network.
- Collaborate with the product development team to improve existing products and develop new products.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum masters’ degree in Electrical Engineering and/or Computer Engineering
- Minimum 3 years of industry experience, with a preference for control room experience
- Fluent in at least one high-level scientific computing language, preferably python
- Experience with production cost modeling (e.g., PLEXOS, GE MAPS and PROMOD)
- Experience with EMS transmission analysis and system identification tools
- Excellent written communication and presentation skills
- Proficient in constrained optimization theory and practice
- Proficient in transmission system analysis (e.g., PSS/e, PowerWorld, PowerFactory, PSCAD, EMTP-RV)
- Sound knowledge of relevant planning criteria
- Innovative and creative problem solving skills
- Self-motivated and willing to take initiative
- Ability to work collaboratively in remote teams
- This position is located in Ireland. You can be located in Dublin, and work in our Dublin office, or can be located remotely within Ireland and travel as necessary.
If you have been reading closely, you wouldn't expect a typical recruiting process. And, we'd hate to disappoint you. To begin our rather unique recruiting process, please submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter which explains why you believe you would be the perfect fit for this job. Please note that your cover letter MUST specifically address each of the ideal qualifications described below. So, your first opportunity to impress us is...
- Measurable Successes: Academics is one place where people typically compete with others in a (mostly) objective and fair environment. For that reason, it is great to see candidates that excelled at some type of school. But if you don't have that, share something else that demonstrates your commitment to success, ideally competing against a group of other really motivated cohorts.
- Power System Experience: Everyone who applies will have the required experience. In order to help us make the right choice, tell us why your experience is something we can't live without.
- It Is So Hard to Say Goodbye: Tell us about a boss or coworker that nearly or actually cried when you left their team (either in a business or academic environment) and your best guess as to the key reasons that they were nearly in tears. What is it specifically about you that they miss?
- And Gosh Darn It, People Like You: Relate something that gives us confidence that if we were on an elevator with you and the elevator malfunctioned between floors, that we wouldn't hate being stuck there with you for more than three hours while the doors are being repaired by the elevator services team.
Smart Wires (www.smartwires.com) has developed an innovative solution that utility companies need now. Driven by a world-class leadership team with extensive experience delivering highly impactful products, Smart Wires works with utilities globally to address the unique challenges of the rapidly evolving electric system. We deploy our revolutionary power flow control technologies to address problems that are impacting the transmission system: changing generation, congestion, critical reliability issues and more. Our solutions are unique: they provide impactful control and their modular nature enables flexible deployments that can be rapidly scaled up or down to accommodate changes in network needs. And our solutions are a complete paradigm shift for utilities that are used to building new lines and raising the voltage on their existing lines to solve grid problems. Smart Wires gives these utilities a set of tools to make better use of the grid that they already have. And today, the technology is rapidly becoming part of the utility tool kit as more of the leading electric utilities embrace this new way of managing future uncertainty and accelerating decarbonization.
We are carefully engineering our culture to attract stunning performers who thrive in a "Freedom and Responsibility" culture. Borrowing heavily from the cultural breakthroughs offered by Netflix, this culture rejects tight management of detailed tasks, focusing instead on hiring great people capable of managing important missions with fairly limited direction and supervision. We give even those with limited work experience the resources they need and believe that certain superstars are hard-wired to deliver nothing but truly excellent results. This is an atmosphere of rapid professional development and incredible learning. Our goal is to place superstars in every role so that we rely and trust each other to do our jobs brilliantly, knowing that this strategy ensures a fun, exciting workplace and nearly guarantees continued commercial success.
**Smart Wires is committed to diversity in our organization and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Smart Wires complies with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination and we especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of any skin color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.**
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: Ireland only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈