(Senior) DevOps Engineer
1 month ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Category: DevOps / Sysadmin
Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Senior DevOps Engineer
At Signal Sciences, now a part of Fastly, most of our stack is written in Go (“Golang”). Our customers, however, install our products into a wide array of different web stacks of their own. These include many different web servers in all kinds of different operating systems and environments.
We are looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer with the ability to work across these many different web stacks to be a bridge between customer support and engineering. Those with strong DevOps and diagnostics skills across multiple platforms who are looking to transition to a more back-end or systems development oriented role are encouraged to apply.
What You'll Do
- Diagnose and help resolve highly technical customer related issues across many different platforms
- Reproduce customer cases for detailed troubleshooting, analysis and resolution or escalation if required
- Handle escalation cases, gathering data to fully understand the issue
- Identify and write technical articles or knowledge-base entries, support runbooks, and best practice documentation
- Develop an area of subject matter expertise, ideally from both a business and technical standpoint
- Mentor and train new team members to help with configuration and diagnosing issues
- Coordinate and communicate seamlessly with the team members and across other technical and product teams
- Contribute to code reviews, documentation and other team processes
- Improve testing suites and better automate these tests so problems are surfaced faster
- Build up and maintain a virtual testing lab with various web stacks
What We're Looking For
- Software Development experience including but not limited to Go, Rust, Java, C/C++, Python, UNIX Shell, PowerShell
- Experience working in a collaborative, distributed team environment
- Installed, administered and managed various web stacks
- Deep knowledge of HTTP and related networking protocols and diagnostic tools
- Strong Linux, System Administration, and Shell scripting skills
- Strong Windows System Administration and PowerShell Scripting skills
- Deeply familiar with container technologies (LXC, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Built container-based virtual labs used for testing
- Developed web-based applications and various associated tooling
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈