Senior Database Reliability Engineer
3 weeks ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: Anywhere
Category: DevOps / Sysadmin
- Design and develop specifications for future database requirements including enhancements, upgrades, and capacity planning; evaluate alternatives; and make appropriate recommendations.
- Lead engineers and product owners to architect data-backed solutions that operate at production scale
- Mentor SREs and engineers on best practices of interacting with transactional datastores in a production environment
- Work with Terraform, Chef or similar tools to build mature automation such as setting up new replicas or testing/monitoring of backups
- Review database related changes from engineering teams and recommend query/schema changes to optimize the performance of database queries
- Review, analyze and implement solutions regarding database administration (e.g., backups, performance tuning)
- Implement self-service tools for our engineers
- Provide technical assistance and support to other teams on database and database-related application design methodologies, system resources, application tuning
- Recommend query and schema changes to optimize the performance of database queries
- Participate actively in infrastructure design, focusing on scalability considerations especially around data storage
- Document every action so your learnings turn into repeatable actions and then into automation
- Work with peer SREs to roll out changes to our production environment and help mitigate database-related production incidents
- Proactively perform requirements and capacity analysis to set clear requirements for scaling Eventbrite’s database resources globally
- At least 5 years of experience managing transactional datastores such as MySQL or PostgreSQL in large production environments
- Experience managing distributed data storage systems that span hundreds or thousands of nodes (whether that be with MySQL, or something like Kafka or Cassandra)
- Solid competency in software engineering with programming experience in languages such as Python, Ruby, Go, or C
- Experience in high user volume, rapidly growing or critical production service environments.
- Production experience with cloud-managed datastores such as AWS Aurora or Google Spanner.
- Proven expertise in SQL, able to review SQL statements and guide developers with best practices on how to interact with the database in a high-traffic web environment
- Strong data modeling and data structure design skills
- Familiarity with infrastructure automation and configuration management tooling such as Terraform or Puppet
- A strong communicator who can explain complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers
- A consummate team player who enjoys helping onboard new team members, mentoring, and teaching others
- Strong understanding of MySQL internals
- Experience with Amazon cloud technologies including Amazon RedShift, S3, Elastic MapReduce and Aurora
- Active Eventbrite user with a passion for live events
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: Anywhere.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈