Engineering Manager - Edge Systems
1 week ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Category: DevOps / Sysadmin
Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Engineering Manager, Edge Systems
The Engineering Manager will lead a group of engineers specializing in processing HTTP requests, and caching HTTP response data on Fastly's CDN. This role will help guide the team to deliver high quality and high performance systems and work with other engineering managers to lead shared efforts. You will contribute to projects ranging from improving performance of the system to adding new features for users of Fastly's CDN.
What You'll Do
- Partnering with Product Managers and Program Managers, and Engineering managers working on related systems
- Lead and represent the team maintaining Fastly’s internal fork of the Varnish caching proxy
- Guiding the team on engineering practices to craft high quality systems
- Staying up to date with the industry norms related to development and testing of your systems. You appreciate a multi-pronged approach to software correctness
- Using your expertise in software engineering to ensure high quality software is delivered incrementally
- You will work with your team to ensure the work is being broken down appropriately, and the ticket tracking system is working in a way suitable to your team's methods
- You will be working closely with the teams developing edge compute, edge protocol termination, and control plane projects as well as the teams operating the fleet. We're creating a better, more trustworthy Internet at Fastly. This Edge Systems team contributes directly to this.
What We're Looking For
- 5-7 years of Software Engineering experience
- 2-4 years of Engineering Management experience
- You have worked in distributed and highly available environments
- Experience with different methods of engineering and knowing when to experiment with them
- You have run engineering teams or have been a tech lead with strong people leadership skills
- You have an excellent understanding of safe coding practices, and are comfortable with C
- You are proficient in Go, Rust, or similar high level languages
- You understand TCP, HTTP, and Unix Domain Sockets
- We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
- We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe. In fact, 50% of our employees work outside of SF! An international remote culture is in our DNA.
- We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits like up to 20 weeks of paid parental leave, options for free medical/dental/vision plans, and an open vacation program that enables our folks to take the time they need to recharge (some benefits may vary by location).
- We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
- We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply!
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Employment decisions at Fastly are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, family or parental status, disability*, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Fastly encourages applicants from all backgrounds.
*Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Fastly. Please inform us if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈