Director of DevOps
3 months ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: Americas Only
Category: DevOps / Sysadmin
Hello. We are ShipHero (https://shiphero.com). We have built a software platform entrusted by hundreds of ecommerce companies, large and small to run their operations and we continue to grow. About US$1billion of ecommerce orders are shipped a year via ShipHero. Many of our customers sell on Shopify, Amazon and many other platforms. We're driven to help our customers grow their businesses by providing a platform that solves complex problems, and is engineered to be reliable and fast. We are obsessed with building great technology, that is beautiful, easy to use and is loved by our customers. Our culture also reflects our ethos and belief that by bringing passionate, talented and great people together - you can do great things.
Our team is fully remote, with most of our engineers currently spread over the Americas but have been building out teams in Europe as well. We communicate regularly using video chat and Slack, and put a strong emphasis on asynchronous work so people have large chunks of uninterrupted time to focus and do deep work.
We are seeking someone to join us under the role of Director of DevOps who has experience building and growing out complex pieces of infrastructure, hiring and managing teams and overall own our infrastructure and processes. We are looking for someone with a recent track record of building and maintaining complex infrastructure on cloud computing preferably on AWS. You would be a fundamental member of the team focusing on building a solid foundation for the platform and part of the technical leadership team. We seek people who are driven to continue growing with the experience of working with talented engineers and help others improve. We are obsessed with disrupting an industry that desperately needs it, by continuing to build tools that help make our customers do great things.
You will help us solidify and evolve our infrastructure as we grow in size in both customers and employees. We would be looking to you to be able to propose, lead and execute on plans for cloud infrastructure.
We are hiring in the Americas time zones at the moment as that's where most of the team is.
- You understand that great things are accomplished when teams work together.
- You feel comfortable owning processes and tools for deploying to production and scaling.
- You understand modern web architectures.
- You have a solid understanding of security best practices.
- You have substantial AWS experience.
- You have led and built teams before
- You have 10+ years of hands-on experience in this area.
- You've used some form of config management (Ansible, Chef, Puppet, etc)
- You take pride in your craft.
- You've made a lot of mistakes, and most importantly, have learned from them.
- You are comfortable and even enjoy mentoring others in different skill sets.
- You have worked on medium and large projects that have gone to production and lived there for a while.
- Lead and own our evolution of our infrastructure on AWS.
- Manage people and own the roadmap, failures and successes of the DevOps team.
- Hands-on configuring, setting up & maintaining our staging and production environments.
- Collaborate with engineers on monitoring & debugging solutions.
- Be prepared to be on-call when necessary
- Automate yourself and others out of common tasks.
- Ability to estimate effort and ship on agreed schedule. Comfortable pushing yourself and your team members when challenges pop up.
- Optimize existing tech stack and solutions, determine the path to the next step in the evolution.
- Learn, and push those around you to do the same - this is a craft that you're constantly improving upon.
- Implement solutions that are pragmatic to get the platform built.
- Have the confidence to work with experienced and talented people to just build great things, you're not a “rockstar”.
- Work with ShipHero leadership to implement practices and principles for the team.
- $2.500 so you can buy any equipment you need to be happy at your job
- 20 days paid vacation + new year & christmas
- Conference days don't count against your vacation days, we want you to stay up-to-date
- We will pay for courses & conferences, if you learn we all learn
- Salary range is $150.000 - $180.000 USD
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: Americas Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈