DevOps Engineer (Database)
2 months ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: North America Only
Category: DevOps / Sysadmin
Are you looking for an opportunity that brings more than just a ‘day job' to the table? An opportunity that will allow you to showcase your skills, offers fast-paced learning, and provides growth opportunities within the org? Or what about contributing to the protection of millions of people against common and advanced threats?
We are looking for a talented and driven DevOps Engineer with expertise in Databases to join our fast-growing team. This is a new position, created by dynamic growth, with potential for significant career advancement and increased responsibility in a fast-paced venture-backed company environment.
The DevOps Engineer role will be responsible for ensuring the architecture, setup and monitoring of a multi-master/HA database environment across multiple datacenters. With an emphasis on PostgreSQL skills, this position also spans other technologies such as: Ansible, Redis, Kafka as well as other database types like TimeScaleDB and ClickHouse.
- Architecture, setup, monitoring and maintaining of a multi-master/failover/HA environment.
- Setup performance monitoring and alerting of database systems.
- Assist development/product teams in designing queries that will be performant and scalable to meet business and customer needs.
- Capacity planning, working with the team to ensure hardware is available in advance for growth.
- Evaluate new technology, or future architecture changes needed to stay ahead of growth.
- Participate in on-call rotation for incidents.
- Able to pick up additional tasks outside of your core specialization in order to meet the team commitments.
- 4-7 years of experience developing, maintaining and scaling highly resilient and high-performance database infrastructure
- Previous experience working with high availability / failover environments across multiple datacenters
- Demonstrated expertise in PostgreSQL, along with one or more other databases we use: TimescaleDB, ClickHouse.
- Experience working with supporting or add-on tools (like pglogical) for upgrading of PostgreSQL versions without downtime
- General understanding of networking and protocols - DNS, tcpdump/wireshark, Linux software bridging, BGP, Anycast etc
- Experience with ClickHouse or TimescaleDB 2.x Clustering
- A strong problem solver with good analytical skills
- On Call rotation participation is part of this role to handle system emergencies. This may include abnormal hours, weekends and holidays.
- Able to keep work hours that mostly overlap with 9a-7p Eastern, M-F
- Committed to collaborative work
- North America based
- Attention to detail with pride in ownership of work
- Native English speaking level: read / write / and speak English (over video calls). Ability to write documentation for the team.
- Background in sysadmin/DevOps with strong Linux skills.
- Some experience with bare metal servers, not just cloud services.
- An energetic & entrepreneurial team player
- A strong and proactive communicator
- Self-starter who operates independently while being collaborative with the broader team
- Strong work ethic - someone who does whatever it takes to get the job done right
- Working knowledge or experience with Ansible.
- Cross experience working with Docker/Containerization, kubernetes, CI/CD, Redis, Kafka
- Remote working experience but willing to travel on occasion for meetups (when applicable)
- Past experience working a private equity or venture capital backed company
DNSFilter is a fast-paced company that is rapidly growing. We provide DNS threat protection that assists businesses in protecting their employees from accessing unwanted content. That includes malicious sites, such as domains hosting malware or phishing scams. DNSFilter is a Techstars startup. We support nearly 7,000 organizations, including Fortune 500 customers like NVIDIA. With the exception of offices in D.C. and Denver, our company is fully remote, with staff in several countries.
Our secret sauce is our AI, called Webshrinker. It performs real-time classification and threat detection. This is what drives our DNS protection software, protecting users from phishing/malware and enforcing custom policies (block adult content, social media sites, enforce SafeSearch, etc). We also sell subscriptions to our Webshrinker technology separately.
In 2019 and 2020 we doubled our annual revenue, with the goal of doing the same in 2021. (That's the part where you come in - we need your assistance to get there!) This position is a 100% remote role, regardless of pandemic status. DNSFilter is seeking a full-time, in-house employee; consulting solutions: we kindly ask you to refrain from offering your contracted help. We do not offer US work visa sponsorship at this time.
- Ability to grow within the organization
- Truly impassioned and intelligent colleagues
- Competitive salary - the DevOps Engineer will be in the range of USD $80k-$110k per year, depending on demonstrated level of experience.
- Paid vacations, sick, and holidays
- Potential for stock options
- Full medical, dental, and vision benefits for employees in USA
- Full short-term disability and life benefits; available long-term disability
- Annual company gatherings held in truly exciting places - in 2019 we met on a beach in Colombia for a week. There was no 2020 gathering, but we have every intent to resume once Covid allows us to do so safely.
- Fast-paced and upbeat environment, practicing levity and respect for each other every day
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: North America Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈