3 weeks ago
Job type: Contract
Hiring from: USA Only
At Scribe, we're growing, and we need great creatives to design our books. You can see some of them here.
We're looking for someone with substantial book design and layout experience. Proficiency with InDesign, along with an understanding of both print and ebook production, is paramount. Photoshop, Illustrator, and additional expertise in related disciplines (scripting/automation, photo processing, illustration, etc) are also a welcome plus.
Most of all, we're looking for someone with impeccable attention to detail, with the design and typography chops to match.
If you can nail that, you're probably pretty awesome, which brings us to an important question:
We're Scribe Media, and our mission is to help everyone on earth write, publish and market their book.
The problem is that writing and publishing books are, for most people, a painful and difficult process, loaded with uncertainty and aggravation. Our goal is to make it as simple as possible, so that as many people as possible can do it.
We have multiple ways we help people do this. We can edit and publish an already written manuscript (Scribe Publishing), or we can help people write their book using a structured process with our guidance (Scribe Guided Author), or we can do a structured interview process that gets the book out of them in their words and their voice (Scribe Professional).
And if you can't afford our services, that's fine. We give away all of our information for free. Seriously, it's called Scribe Book School, and it's better than any paid course on the internet.
You can see some press about us here.
And you can see some of the books we've already published here.
Our company was started because a frustrated entrepreneur wanted to put all of her incredible knowledge and ideas into a book, but didn't have the time to write it or the patience to deal with the frustrating publishing process. So we solved her problem. The origin story is here.
Her book became an amazing success, and we realized the world was full of these people--smart people who should write a book, but don't, because the process is so painful.
These people want to write books, but don't have the time or desire to do it the old way, and that's why Scribe exists: we help people turn their ideas into books that both cement their legacy and impact the world.
Our process has worked for over 1500 authors in six years, and we're growing fast. Our ultimate goal is to help everyone on earth write and publish a book.
If we do that, we'll help create many thousands of books that would never have otherwise existed, changing the lives of millions of people. That's really exciting to us.
But if you really want to see why we do this...just watch this video of an author we worked with, Philip McKernan.
We're not going to try to pitch you a load of corporate doublespeak bullshit about how great we are. Instead, we'll just show you proof.
These are all real tribe members, speaking openly and honestly about all aspects of what it's like to be part of this tribe:
You can also watch The Power of Vulnerability at Work, for an excellent glimpse into how much we care about each other as people, and how we approach our relationships.
You can see a bunch more videos here, on our YouTube Channel.
This is the operating system for our tribe: The Scribe Culture Bible.
We are consistently ranked the #1 Best Place To Work in Austin.
Also, Entrepreneur Magazine said we have the #1 company culture in America.
Type of Employment
Here is the list of skills we believe are necessary for this career.
- World-class design skills: We are more concerned about your talent than your resume. If your portfolio is good, we're willing to give you a shot, regardless of credentials.
- Detail-driven: This cannot be overstated. You are responsible for the correctness of your work as much as you are for its design quality. Don't expect a proofreader to fix your TOC page numbers. To be clear: this doesn't mean you are expected to catch typos that were already present in the source material—it just means that you should not be introducing any new ones. In fact, this is so crucial in the question that asks you “What is your favorite animal?” we want you to answer with “Attention to detail is my middle name.”
- Organized: This is not a job for someone who is lax with due dates or communication. You may be juggling multiple design projects at once, and you'll have to be able to get things done and keep up with your projects.
- Competitive Pay
Working with us, there is none of the unpaid time you typically spend finding the client, negotiating your deal, admin work, etc. Only time spent doing what you love!
- Be Part of a Tribe: This role is intended to begin as freelance, but there is real potential to move to full time, given you want this and you do a great job. We see ourselves as a tribe of people who are working hard together to accomplish a specific mission (help everyone on earth write, publish and market their book), in service of a larger purpose (help people share their story and leave a legacy of impact on others). We also have a pretty cool set of principles that we live by as a tribe, you should check it out, because this is the operating system for our tribe.
- Freedom: You can work from anywhere—we don't care. We only care that you have reliable phone and internet connections and that you do your job well.
- Fun & Fast-Paced Work: We don't have boring days. Some are hectic, some are hard, some are incredibly rewarding...but they are never boring and never exactly the same. That's what happens when you're solving real problems for people.
- Work with Interesting People: Past authors include major company CEOs, famous entrepreneurs, professional athletes, and people with amazing personal stories.
At Scribe, we don't just accept differences — we support them, celebrate them, and as a company, we thrive on them. Scribe is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and we actively look for and hire people who bring new perspectives and experiences to our tribe.
Everyone has a story to share. Our CEO, JeVon “JT McCormick”, is just one Tribe Member example.
Complete the application by clicking on the "Apply To Position" button. Applications will remain open until we find the perfect person for this role.
You can expect to hear back from us either way within 15 business days. To make sure we're able to give your application the careful attention and time it deserves, please do not follow up with us unless you don't hear back from us by then.
Please, no phone calls. Due to the number of applicants we typically receive for our career openings, we are not able to do phone interviews until later stages of the hiring process. All applicants must submit an application through our portal.
Note: If you're on an external job site, we encourage you to apply directly from our career portal at https://scribe.breezy.hr/
We're only considering candidates that are authorized to work in the United States and we will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈