Very is looking for an experienced Design Practice Lead who can provide a vision of what “design” means in the IoT space, and grow a team around that vision. The Product Design Practice Lead will work with the leaders of our other practices (Data Science, Hardware Engineering, Software Engineering) to ensure that the Product Design practice is providing impactful contributions to Very’s product process. As the leader of this practice you will be a world-class practitioner of design with a passion for growing and sharing your skills while simultaneously developing these skills within your team.
Very believes the best way to bring immediate value to products and users is via a strong relationship between design & technology. We believe the best-designed products have a shelf life longer than one major release, and that they collect data to inform future iterations. In pursuit of this goal, the product design practice understands and leverages design systems, has an appreciation for iterative design, and has a strategic eye for all things UX.
On any given day, the current Very design team spends their time on:
🖍 Product concept validation
🗺 User-flow mapping
💄 Hi-Fi Design Systems
🎬 Interaction & motion design
📱 Interactive Prototyping
If you have experience with building a team of experts at this type of work, as well as experience and/or interest in applying these concepts beyond software and into IoT systems, you might be the person we’re looking for! We believe designers should be close to the project’s technical implementation and all of our designers have experience writing HTML & CSS, and React. In addition, we’re looking to expand our design capabilities into areas like Industrial Design and developing cohesive IoT experiences through Device Agnostic Design. We believe in leveling up every day, and that the best designers are the ones who see the big picture and seize the opportunity for improvement.
What You’ll Be Working On
Very is a fully-distributed IoT engineering & design firm, partnering with our clients to build systems for smart manufacturing, smart energy & utilities, consumer electronics, and connected wellness. Learn more at verypossible.com
As the Product Design Practice Lead at Very, you will:
- Champion the role of human-centered design throughout our organization
- Maintain quality design and innovation standards across the Product Design team
- Work closely with the Director of Engineering and Very’s other Practice Leads to define and implement standards on how our products are made.
- Define and execute processes for talent discovery and development within the domain of Product Design.
- Fill the role of Product Designer on projects for Very’s clients. Right now, that would entail:
- Design user-flows, wireframes, Hi-Fi comps, and prototypes
- Help research and validate solutions that are best for users.
- Develop a cohesive and consistent user experience.
- Collaborate with engineers to implement design.
- We look at passion and skill more than years of experience, but we think this role would be best suited to people with 5+ years of experience in the product design space, with at least 2 of those years being spent leading a team.
- An online portfolio or work samples that showcase your user-centered design solutions
- Ability to demonstrate design best-practices for web and mobile apps
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Bonus points for design experience beyond software and/or in the IoT space.
How You’ll Be Compensated
We believe in a transparent, fair compensation structure and have developed our own open salary formula. Depending on your skill and experience, you can expect your base compensation to be somewhere between $100,000 and $150,000 upon joining the company. We also offer performance bonuses, a generous maternity/paternity leave policy, 401K matching, and numerous other employee benefits including reimbursement for home office equipment and gym memberships.