2 weeks ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: +/- 3 PST
A Design Director at MetaLab owns the big picture of our design work, and is responsible for overall quality while ensuring the team executing the work is set up for success. Things in our world are constantly changing so you must be fast, highly adaptive, and comfortable with ambiguity. You’ll collaborate with the other Design Directors, the leadership team, People Ops, Resourcing, and Design Leads to support the domain of design at MetaLab. Externally, you’ll serve as a face of our design team in front of clients so an ability to listen well, communicate clearly and command a room is a must. Above all else, you have an eye for exceptional design and the ability to motivate teams to strive for the highest quality work.
- Co-Manage a +40-person design team and mentor our Design Leads.
- Drive the overall Design team’s operations and strategy.
- Collaborate with the Client Partnerships team to pitch engagements to clients.
- Assist in scoping out the timeline and requirements of design engagements.
- Involved in vetting, hiring, and training new members of the design team.
- Advocate for the design team internally to make sure they’re set up for success
- Collaborate with the rest of MetaLab’s leadership team to keep company engagement high.
- Articulate constructive feedback, and ensure the design team is evaluated and supported on an ongoing basis.
- Foster an open, collaborative, and inclusive environment for the design team.
- Roll up your sleeves in the work, providing guidance and direction to several project teams simultaneously.
- Interacts with the design team in-person and online on a daily basis, and with clients when needed.
- Ability to travel to client meetings.
- Can work remotely but face time is important, whether that's video calls or occasional office visits.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Strength in leading, mentoring, and coaching a product design team. You have previously led a team of product designers.
- Strong understanding of product design.
- Expert-level experience leading teams in UI/UX design. Familiar with all the common designer tools such as Sketch, Principle, Invision, etc.
- Ability to present designs to clients with credibility, clarity, and confidence.
- Well versed in facilitation techniques that enable groups to build clarity and alignment.
- Understanding of product management and product life-cycles. You’ve led teams building digital projects from scratch before.
- Not an asshole—please leave your ego at the door.
- Ability to be both a leader, listener, and a mentor for more junior designers. You can actively build the skills of team members to make them more successful in their careers.
- Be active in the design community, representing MetaLab and attracting new talent.
- Ideally, you're within +/- 3 hours of the Pacific timezone.
- You want to build incredible products for incredible clients with an incredible group of people.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Help us maintain Remotive! If this link is broken, please just click to report dead link!