Sr. Data Scientist (Fraud)
2 weeks ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Ready to make a difference? Do you want to stop virtual bad guys? Are you ready to jump in and solve some hard data problems? Then we want to hear from you!
We're looking for an exceptional data scientist to join our high-performance empowered product team focused on stopping fraud and abuse on our platform. As an early member of our data science discipline, you will be a key player in the organization. You will deliver cutting-edge technology solutions to our clients, data partners and drive complex projects which directly impact the future trajectory of SheerID.
The ideal candidate would be engaged and hands-on, with a track record of developing data-driven solutions for a variety of stakeholders. Has a passion for solving big hairy malformed problems. Is comfortable with mathematics, benchmarking, data mining, AI, graph analysis, and has a strong desire to learn more. They can rely on experience tackling predictive fraud problems using business rule logic as well as ML and AI techniques in a robust and scalable way. As a fast-growing company, we look for team members that jump in wherever they are needed and enjoy working cross functionally.
You will play an important role in helping shape our fraud analytics environment and ML pipelines as a member of the scrum team. You will work closely with and advise our product owner and our data engineers as we develop first class predictive fraud models to protect our clients. You will lead our signals intelligence efforts analyzing data from a variety of sources and determining the best use of that data to combat fraud. You will be responsible for feature engineering, model training & validation, model deployment and quality assessment. While your focus will be on supervised/unsupervised/semi-supervised learning for classification, regression, and anomaly detection problems, you will also have the opportunity to work closely with our computer-vision experts.
- Be part of one of the fastest-growing startups in the Pacific Northwest and take advantage of the unique opportunity to develop, lead, and grow a world-class engineering organization.
- We are a well-funded company with 200+ customers, including global brands like Google, Amazon, and Spotify.
- We offer competitive salary, equity, full benefits, cool office spaces in Eugene and downtown Portland, company off-site, snacks, happy hours and the list goes on!
- Work with a world-class technology team who has the opportunity to advance the world of data privacy, digital trust, and identity.
As SheerID continues to grow, you'll have the opportunity to grow with the company. You will be solving interesting problems using cutting edge technologies like ML, computer vision, big data, and digital identity on a daily basis. You will provide technical leadership and mentoring on the latest data science best practices, tools, and technologies in collaboration with engineers. You'll help to select and work with modern frameworks; becoming an expert at any tools and technology needed to get the job done.
The ideal candidate for this position cares deeply about the experience and satisfaction of our data partners, customers, and customers' customers. The verification platform we have built puts user consent at the core of our user interaction. SheerID uses a very minimal set of personal information to perform verifications and we never keep personally identifiable information. We never ask users to create a login/password on our system. We never share, sell, or remarket any personal information, ever. We provide strong privacy protections for consumers (as opposed to standard marketing techniques) and are poised to ride the wave of this major trend that started with GDPR and continues with the California Consumer Privacy Act.
And our customers love us for it. Our Net Promoter Score is 70, which is a testament to the value we create and how highly the company values our customers and end users. We provide a frictionless experience and high-quality results for millions of verifications every month, attracting new customers, and building loyalty and longevity in every customer relationship.
We sell our product to marketers and big brands, but serve the end consumer equally, making it easier for deserving populations (Students, Teachers, Nurses, Seniors, Military members, First Responders, etc) to access special offers in a way that protects their data privacy.
- Become and expert in our data for the purposes of fraud.
- Guide and assist data analysts and engineers in building out our fraud analytics environments, by helping join, clean, and prepare our data for analytic workflows.
- Design and prototype features for use in predictive models and ML Pipelines.
- Perform model selection, training and validation for predicting fraud.
- Build custom rules sets by hand when necessary.
- Contribute to the design, building, and testing of automated data processing pipelines to extract and transform company data for analysis and training of machine learning models.
- Analyze data using statistical and machine-learning methods, prepare visualizations and narratives for presentation to company executives and other stakeholders.
- Mentor and train junior data science engineers and developers through directed development projects and pair programming/analysis.
- Develop frameworks and processes for evaluating the performance of our systems and fraud strategies.
- Explore and mine company data assets for insights to support continuous improvement initiatives.
- Define requirements for labeling or other data collection activities; work with engineering/ops teams to establish data architectures that support analysis activities.
- Advise product owners in regards to data and analytics-related product features, assisting with requirements gathering and implementation.
- Help administer infrastructure, tooling, and environments for data warehousing and distributed data processing.
- Write/maintain documentation for clients, data partners, and other team members.
- Contribute to our collective brainpower through innovation and peer review.
- Develop and enforce a code of ethics to govern decision making in data science projects.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university. Preferably in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Statistics, or related field/equivalent experience.
- Proficient in statistical/general programming language(s) (Python, R, SAS, Scala), 5+ years of relevant experience using these technologies.
- 4+ years in predictive fraud analytics.
- Strong problem solving, logic, and analytical skills.
- Solid foundation in statistical methods and data mining techniques and how they can be applied in real-world scenarios.
- Experience selecting and using various machine learning algorithms and libraries to build and train prediction and classification models.
- Conceptual understanding of data architecture/data warehousing and track record of execution.
- Expertise in debugging data issues and ML issues.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, able to summarize and present findings from experiments/research to executive-level stakeholders.
- Capable of working on data science projects within an agile software methodology.
- 5+ years of experience with SQL, no-SQL databases (MongoDB, CouchDB, ElasticSearch, Snowflake, etc.), database structures, theories, principles and practices.
- Strong understanding of industry standards and best practices.
- Self-motivated and able to work well under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills as well as a demonstrated ability to work on a team.
- Able to work under minimal supervision with latitude for independent judgement.
- Strong track record of technical leadership and mentoring to both engineers, analysts, and stakeholders.
Bonus Points if you have…..
- Familiarity with AWS offerings (S3, EC2, Redshift, Lambda) and other cloud providers.
- Familiarity with Jenkins or similar distributed build/automation systems.
- Ability to perform code review and provide constructive feedback to other engineers.
SheerID is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all candidates and employees. SheerID believes that diversity and inclusion is critical to our success as a company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈