(Senior) Data Engineer
3 weeks ago
Job type: Full-time
Hiring from: USA Only
Kanopy is a video streaming platform, focused on bridging cultural boundaries and bringing people together through film. By partnering with universities and public libraries, we share thoughtful entertainment with millions of users across the globe. Founded in 2008, we are currently experiencing accelerated growth in customers, revenue, and employees. We are looking for motivated people to join our team.
About the Role
We are looking for a passionate, talented and super-smart Data Engineer to join our growing development team. Problems we are looking to solve include understanding the complexities of a massive video library, user behavior, video recommendations, and operational data analysis. To succeed, you need to be able to innovate, love solving hard data problems and never take no for an answer. Your solutions must be well designed, implemented, tested, deployed and supported. This is an opportunity for you to join a rapidly growing company developing cutting edge video streaming technology and help shape the direction of our product/engineering team.
- Produce reports that will support Kanopy's key business operations
- Build and maintain a business intelligence dashboard for internal stakeholders
- Expand our video recommendation system to recommend the most relevant videos from our collection for individual users
- Work with a large amount of content and user data
What you need:
- A technical degree in Computer Science or related field. Or some level of formal education in CS. Ideally M.S. or Phd, although B.S. with relevant experience will work, too
- Strong experience with SQL
- Experience with data schema design
- Knowledge of data warehouse / data lake technologies
- Experience with software version control (e.g. git, subversion, etc) and issue tracking (e.g. Jira, github issues, etc)
- Experience with ETL processes
- Scripting abilities (e.g. Python with Pandas)
- Experience with and understanding of AWS architecture and services, including EC2, S3, RDS and NoSQL DBs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to tell a story with data to a variety of audiences
- Ability to dive into key Marketing, Accounting or any business-oriented concepts
- A deep understanding of software development lifecycle, and a track record of shipping production quality software on time
What we'd like you to have:
- Experience with the G suite and analytics tools such as Google Analytics, Quicksight, DataStudio, etc
- Basic understanding of document indexing and querying tools: Apache Solr, Apache Lucene and Elasticsearch
- Experience with BigQuery or RedShift
- Track record of delivering full-stack software solutions at scale. Software development experience in object-oriented design and LAMP or Node.js based distributed systems
This team is based in Orange County, but remote work is an option. We offer a competitive salary & benefits package, including full health coverage and 4 weeks vacation. At Kanopy, we look for focused and results driven people looking to make an impact and contribute to our growing team. Bonus points to those that have a good sense of humor, love for film, or an interest in education.
Before you apply, please check if any restrictions apply in terms of time zone or country.
This job has a geo-restriction in place: USA Only.
Please mention that you come from Remotive when applying for this job.
Does this job need an edit? 🙈